Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larabar saved me page 2

gini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyryde View Post
    There has been some talk about endurance sports and primal eating. I put it to the test for me this weekend. To perpare for a 100 mile Mountain bike race in Sept., we planned a 60 mile mountain bike ride yesterday. We thought the trip would take about 4-5 hours. The night before I ate a larger meal, and for breakfast I had 4 eggs, and some bacon.

Well, at about mile 40, I bonked. I got super hungry, and the power went out of my legs. I had two cherry pie Larabars in my pockets. I ate one, and then another one thrity minutes later, and my energy came back. I learned the limit of how far I can go with just primal foods, without supplemental food on the bike. I have been doing 40-50 mile road rides with no issues. Between now and Sept., I will have to figure out an eating plan that will get me through the 11 hour, 100 mile ride.

Has anyone else tested their limits of primal food in thier acitivty?
    Hey simplyryde! I did a 40 miler on Sunday. I ate a snack at miles 15 and 30 after a small breakfast and only cheese and olives for dinner the night before. I'd say just keep playing with it. For me, it's key to eat and drink every 60 - 90 minutes otherwise I lose it. But I think it really depends person to person.

Mainer is online now Senior Member
    We rode 14 miles up and down some rugged mountains this past sunday, lots of mud, rocks, and roots. Not as far as your race but its knarly ridin' and I am wiped after the 3 hr ride. As another poster indicated I find I do best with a big breakfast of egg omelette, bacon, and kefir smoothie. I too carry a larabar just in case but have been using pemmican and sometimes coconut macaroons. In the winter or late fall I use the primal bar recipe on this site, right now too warm and it melts.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyryde View Post
    Well, at about mile 40, I bonked. I got super hungry, and the power went out of my legs. I had two cherry pie Larabars in my pockets. I ate one, and then another one thrity minutes later, and my energy came back. I learned the limit of how far I can go with just primal foods, without supplemental food on the bike.
    What was your regular carb intake prior of this?

I do performance biking on ketosis... Never bonk, never cramp, have most energy (and am the faster) of the group. This is going on while I'm under 10g of carbs a day, those 10 being things that I cant get rid of... sugar in eggs, carbs in celery and salads, etc...

simplyryde is offline Member
    My normal carb intake is between 20-50 grams a day. I have had better energy since eating a more primal diet. On most rides >2, I don't have any issues. I just find that for a longer ride I need to eat during the event. Also the Larabar is a really nice treat during some suffering.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    there isnt much point depending on "treats" for an endurance event... you would do your endocrine system a favour by just letting your body do its job.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

simplyryde is offline Member
    That "treat" is an all natural product made of fruit and nuts. It is not like I am downing a case of snickers bars, and 3 pounds of pasta. Fueling for an endurance event is an important issue relating to performance. You may be able to properly fuel for an 5 hour event before, but I can not.

MightyMite is offline Member
    My rant isn't with "treats"--it's the fact that they come in individual wrappers. Energy bar wrappers, gel packets, individual packets of electrolyte mix, etc. One of the things that brought me to PB and MDA was a desire to stop producing so much garbage every time I did a long bike ride. I now carry a cloth pouch with dried fruit and almonds and I haven't generated a single wrapper in over a year.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    i carry usually a bar of pemmican.
    this is PB and ive been at it for about 10 years so i give myself the right to feel free to comment on the fact that larabars, or any bars, however "natural" is not NATURAL nutrition for homo sapiens. you asked for an oppinion - and thats mine.
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Where do you get the Larabar's???
    I buy mine from Amazon. If you do the subscribe and save deal you get an extra 15% off. This makes them around $18 for 16 bars - EXCELLENT DEAL. I also am an Amazon Prime member so I get FREE 2 DAY SHIPPING. Amazon is simply amazing.

If you are wondering where to get this or that - always check amazon first. ALWAYS. Especially for something like a Larabar.

I enjoy these things once in a while. Yes, its always better to make your own. But, I enjoy an inexpensive, healthy, raw treat once in a while that I can just grab and go that costs about $1.

My favorite is GINGER SNAP. Well, its the only one I have tried
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12