Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating raw eggs for fats, minerals/vitamins, good idea? page 2

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The protein (IIRC) in cooked eggs is something like 40% more bioavailable than in raw eggs. Yeah it's "badass" to eat raw eggs but nutritionally there's no point. Plus you miss out on the opportunity to cook the eggs in healthy fats like coconut oil, etc.

Also...not enough time to cook eggs? Wake up 3 minutes earlier.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    The protein (IIRC) in cooked eggs is something like 40% more bioavailable than in raw eggs. Yeah it's "badass" to eat raw eggs but nutritionally there's no point.
    Don't be too sure about that, I cannot "prove it" but I highly suspect that raw eggs makes me recuperate better from exercise and make my immune system work better. And your argument goes to raw vegetables as well, cooking may help with bio availability, but keeping some raw food may help with other things, so I personally make sure to get some raw eggs as well as vegetables and sometimes even a little uncooked fish or beef tartar…

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Well...there is quite a bit of science available for the looking up - it is specific, and it does matter. Bioavailability isn't a blanket raw-vs-cooked topic. I in no way intended to say that because eggs may be more useful cooked this applies to other food as well. It depends on the foodstuff and the nutrient and the cooking method. Some nutrients in vegetables are more available raw; some lightly cooked. I think overall unless you're really trying to dial something in specifically a variety is most important.

Here's a quick google doohickey on my particular egg point:

Researchers fed healthy subjects raw or cooked eggs. “When the eggs were cooked, the proportion of protein digested averaged 91 percent to 94 percent," Wrangham reports. On the other hand, the digestibility of raw eggs was a meager 65 percent. “The results showed that 35 percent…of the ingested protein was leaving the small intestine undigested. Cooking increases the protein value of eggs by around 40 percent.
    Last edited by carlh; 01-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, they are researching the parameter of bio-availability of proteins only. There may be thousands of other aspects into raw eggs that also counts for human health and that are not on the radar of the scientists...

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    From a health perspective, I think the raw vs cooked egg argument can go either way. My biggest "concern" with taking raw eggs has to do with the potential for Salmonella exposure. The risk is pretty small, but if you've ever had Salmonella poisoning, you won't soon forget the experience....... Since it takes the same amount of time to boil a dozen eggs as it does to do just one, I'd rather boil a crapload of them and store them in the fridge..... but, I'm just a lazy fat guy!

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    1: Smack some butter on a pan, heat the bitch up. ~15 seconds to prepare, ~1 minute to reach adequate heat
    2: Crack X many eggs into bowl, or directly onto pan. ~5 seconds per egg
    3: Wait for eggs to cook. Provided that the pan is hot enough, this should take no more than a minute for the whites to cook through. If you're scrambling, my experience is that it takes a bit longer to cook than if you were just straight up frying them.
    4: season and enjoy (or if you're like me, scarf down now, taste later).

There you have it, eggs in less than 5 minutes.
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Timthetaco Guest
    I don't have much to contribute to this discussion, but there was a time when I was downing a raw egg yolk (not the whites, wtf) every evening before bed. My teeth had never been so damned pearly white. It was freaky.

That is all.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    If you wanna go the bioavailability route then the recommendations would be the same. Eat the yolk raw (fat, cholesterol, and vitamins) and the whites cooked (protein).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If you wanna go the bioavailability route then the recommendations would be the same. Eat the yolk raw (fat, cholesterol, and vitamins) and the whites cooked (protein).
    This is why I like mine sunny side up just cooked enough for the whites to set up but the yolks still runny. Sop up the yolks with some fat bread, ah, heaven.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think snotty/uncooked egg whites are pretty unpleasant as a rule. In restaurants I order over medium because otherwise the whites are usually runny. At home I cook what I think is a proper over easy. It's very quick, easy to do, and they taste about a million times better than raw eggs IMO. A frying pan full of eggs takes only a few minutes start to finish, and most of that is easily multi-taskable time (in other words, I can be doing other things while the eggs cook). If 5 minutes a day to make something that is healthier and more enjoyable is too much work, well, you know your own priorities I guess.

I wanted to respond to this, in response to the suggestion of hard boiling: "It takes more time ultimately and I can down raw eggs fine."

You can actually buy eggs pre-boiled and peeled if you are lazy. Costco sells 'em that way in 24 packs for under $5 IIRC. You can also get a couple dozen eggs, boil them all in one go, and keep 'em in the 'fridge for breakfasts. If you don't peel them they last a long time cooked. If you do peel them you've got to be careful of contamination but they still last quite awhile. So you could easily be talking about a total of 30 minutes a week, with most of that being non-prep time where you can do other stuff. I throw eggs in my electric pressure cooker, set it for 2 minutes, walk away and dump the steam/rinse in cold water when the pressure cooker beeps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast