Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 88

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Jenn, next time put your tablespoon of coconut oil in a coffee mug,
    add about 1/2oz of water, put it in the microwave, melt it for a couple
    seconds (let it sit until it ALL looks like water, and don't drink it if
    it's still super hot! stick your finger in it to test!) and then drink
    it like a shot.

I found that trying to "eat" the coconut oil was absolutely freaking DISGUSTING,
    but drinking it was a breeze.

Julie

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Geez, Julie, where do you get all that energy from?! Those are some impressive deficit figures.

Well, first off, I'm a stay at home mom with SIX GLORIOUS HOURS TO MYSELF, and
    have had those hours now, with both boys in school, for 2.5yrs (kindergarten only counts
    as half because they're only in school for 3hours... sigh, but now they're BOTH in the big
    grades!).

So that in itself is inspiring.

Also, knowing that The Sweet Life will expire when my eldest gets to high school (3.5 more
    years) and that my candy ass will have to go back to work, is ALSO inspiring to do
    whateverthehellIwantalldayeveryday.

I started working when I was 14 (I'm 44 now) so being off these past 11 years has been BEYOND
    glorious.

People always ask me "how do you fill your day?" WTF? Like what, a hobby? Volunteering? taking my
    kids from one activity to the other? OH HELL NO.

Either I spend it sitting on my ass watching the People's Court, or I'm out walking or hiking or going
    to the gym, or bike rides or rollerskating or you name it! I'm doing it.

But I hate cleaning, so I do all the rest to procrastinate.

And yes, I do volunteer at school every Monday so there's that...

So basically, bottom line, I get all my energy from seizing the moment, my
    11+ years of freedom and appreciating EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF IT.

It's hard to explain, but I thank my lucky stars EVERY DAY for the freedom I
    have, cuz I know it's not going to last forever.

So that makes me very hyper... har.

And, I'm a very energetic and happy person as it is.....

What 44 year old mom do you know, corrupts their soon to be 11yo by
    taking him onto the elementary school roof at dusk, like SHE used to
    do when SHE was that age?

Same elementary school too... My boys go to MY school.

Hilarious.

Needless to say, the soon to be 11yo was THRILLED beyond comprehension,
    and I got/get to re-live my youth... even though it was a LOT harder climbing
    up the 15 foot cyclone fence at 44 than it was at 11.... ahem.

Welp, I'm off to walk to Walgreens now for my magnesium.... OH MY THRILLING LIFE! Hahahhahhaa!

~Anonymous

diene is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Congrats, Julie! Your results are awwwesooome!! And I'm SOOOOO jealous!!

Er, ketosis didn't really work for me, but I was doing a cyclic ketogenic diet thing where I'd carb up on the weekend in order to replenish my glycogen stores for interval training (because, you know, Mark said that if you did sprints in a state of glycogen depletion, you'd get metabolic problems or whatever--not sure that those are but don't want to get them anyway).

I seriously don't think I can bring myself to not work out for 10 days. The stress of knowing that I'm not working out will probably drive me crazy and cause me to gain weight because, you know, stress is supposed to cause weight gain.

That's awesome, Julie! I'm doing my PhD so I work from home and I have no terrors - I mean, children - yet and am free to spend my day as I please while DH is at work. BUT there's only so much slacking I can do because, you know, I have a 300-page dissertation to write.

Also, everyone hates cleaning. Anybody who claims otherwise is a big fat stinking liar.

And serenity, I don't think I could handle 7-10 days of zero physical activity. I don't think I would necessarily start stressing over it, but I know my back and hips would start getting tight. I will definitely go for leisurely walks or a light yoga class, or just stretch at home. But nothing more intense than a yoga class or two during an off week.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I melted the coconut oil yesterday afternoon and that worked better - thanks! Then I found something to bring some of my jug of ELOO (I make a lot of homemade mayo!) in to work and that was even better. Faster and no taste. Once I have a chance to buy refined coconut oil I'll probably switch between the two, but I'll stick with the ELOO until then - the taste of the virgin coconut oil I had on hand just is too difficult to get rid of quickly.

@serenity - thanks! I'm glad something is finally happening... it was getting
    a little depressing there for a second. Even if I stay where I am now, and I can
    wear them thar jeans that I paid 50 bucks each for (I bought 3 pair), FINE BY ME.

With regard to Mark, I know that everyone is different and stuff, but when I went
    keto in 2007 for a year, I did sprints just fine. 5, 20 second sprints at 9mph with
    5 minutes of walking in between each one.

As long as you're fully fat adapted, it's easy as pie.

Well, at least it was for me, cuz I'm a freak like that....

@unchantenfrance - Oh I hear you - if I had an actual JOB to get done whilst I was
    at home and no kids, I wouldn't be able to slack either. The laundry that still sits
    behind me on my bed, is different though. It'll get to me sooner or later and I JUST
    might fold it and put it all away. Maybe when I add the extra load that's in the dryer
    right now. Sigh.

I justify slacking 99% of the time because A.) I'm a Libra and I can make EVERYTHING
    weigh out in my direction if I think hard enough. And B.) I'm the most hands-on mother
    on the planet (okay, okay, I do NOT do crafts or freaking coloring) and spend every waking
    moment with my children (when they're not at school of course), so that really REALLY justifies
    me doing whatever I want, until they move out. Bwahahahahahaha!

On the exercise front while going keto, I didn't mean do nottttttttttttttttttthing, like zero, like
    watch soaps all day or something. Sure, still walk lots and even non-strenuous yoga if you wanna,
    just nothing crazy, like sprints or hills on the treadmill or heavy duty cardio classes. Stuff like that.

I guess I should have taken a page from my own book, if I wasn't too steeyoupid to remember, but
    back in 2008 I decided to do ZERO cardio (dedicated cardio that is, like described above, balls
    OUT cardio) and just weight train 3 days a week. For 6 months I did that and wouldn't you
    know it, that was when I lost the most and looked the best. Even, gasp, in a bikini.

@Jenn - yeah, the flavor of the coconut oil DOES linger a lot longer than the olive oil. I just mouth
    breathe, looking like a real idiot for about 5 minutes after I do my coconut oil, then it's all gone.

Big Tip Of The Day: Do NOT use fish oil for SLD.

I thought that yesterday I'd kill two birds with one stone and have my Carson's or is it Carlson's?
    liquid fish oil, lemon flavored.... Shot it back, feeling virtuous that I got my oil in, and fish oil
    at that, but man, the flavor took forEVER go to away. Mouth breathed forever, and then disgustingly
    enough, burped up lemon fish flavor for THE REST OF THE DAY. No matter WHAT I ATE after that,
    still fish. GA-ROSS.

All righty, welp, there's my caffeine inspired post for the day.

Julie

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Hi good folks. Yet again I am gonna try to shift my eating pattern to the am, so yesterday I started taking oil between breakfast and lunch. Fingers crossed!

I guess I should have taken a page from my own book, if I wasn't too steeyoupid to remember, but
    back in 2008 I decided to do ZERO cardio (dedicated cardio that is, like described above, balls
    OUT cardio) and just weight train 3 days a week. For 6 months I did that and wouldn't you
    know it, that was when I lost the most and looked the best. Even, gasp, in a bikini.
    I have a corresponding experience of looking my bestest when I was not doing any structured exercise, but moved slowly via walking in the gentle mountains and swimming in the sea for about a month. Granted, I was 20 yo back then too. But, I think there is something in the prolonged periods of slow movement that is the most efficient fat burner, while dedicated cardio could be too much of a stressor. Unfortunately, replicating this experience is nearly impossible, though in Cuba for a week I did not gain weight despite eating all-inclusive, and all i did was swimming and walking on the beach.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Hi good folks. Yet again I am gonna try to shift my eating pattern to the am, so yesterday I started taking oil between breakfast and lunch. Fingers crossed!

I have a corresponding experience of looking my bestest when I was not doing any structured exercise, but moved slowly via walking in the gentle mountains and swimming in the sea for about a month. Granted, I was 20 yo back then too. But, I think there is something in the prolonged periods of slow movement that is the most efficient fat burner, while dedicated cardio could be too much of a stressor. Unfortunately, replicating this experience is nearly impossible, though in Cuba for a week I did not gain weight despite eating all-inclusive, and all i did was swimming and walking on the beach.
    I'm guessing you're a fellow Canuck since you went to Cuba? I normally don't gain weight in all-inclusives either, nor did I gain anything this summer when I was out of the country for 3 months and all I did was walk a lot and do a bit of yoga in my room (and I was in France of all places and did not deprive myself of cheese and pastries, lemme tell ya). I've been doing the oil shots on and off the last couple of weeks - the scale ain't moving but I think the fat on my tummy and thighs is shifting slightly. My mind could be playing tricks on me though, so I don't know. In any case, I'm mindful of my calories and doing the shots when I feel I need them. Steady as she goes.......

PrimalCon New York
    Yanno, it's tough, cuz the more I lose, the more excited and energetic
    I feel.

Not just because of the number on the scale but because, well, I have
    more energy!

Today at the gym I did my full body weight routine and was going to go
    home and do nothing more exercise wise, but I just couldn't.

So I went against what I knew was right and did sprints instead.

Not because I felt my workout was lacking, or that I neeeeeeded to because
    of some effed up way of thinking, but because I WANTED TOO.

So, six sprints of 25 seconds each at 9mph with 3 minutes of 3mph in between.

And NOW I will do nothing for the rest of the day.

Well, yanno, besides my usual stuff with the kids and all.

Also, weighed in today and have a new low of 119.8.

Haven't seen that, in, um, like years, yo.

So January 17th to March 19th, started at 128.8, now 119.8 = 9lbs
    lost. Not too bad I guess.

But then, I know a good 3lbs of it was/is water, cuz I *have* gone
    keto at the same time.

Everything is measuring smaller though too, so I'll take it!

Unchantenfrance - stuff certainly does shift without seeing anything
    on the scale. I stalled out at 124.8 for about 2 or three weeks, but
    I noticed during my wake up routine in the morning (where I lie there
    and TRY and wake up for 10 minutes before making lunches for all my MEN),
    that when I brought my knees up (feet flat on the mattress) that where my
    thighs used to touch a LOT, don't anymore. I was like, "what? really? how can
    that be?"

And, nothing ever comes off from where you want it to first for crying out
    loud.

For me, in order:

back fat
    forearms (what?)
    calves
    boobs
    thighs
    sidecar timmy and tommy ("lovehandles")
    stomach

SO annoying, but, whatever works.

Just *love* the forearms though. Please, they're already
    only 9 inches around to begin with. Gimme a break.

Julie