Page 86 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 86

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That's very true, Leida! The first shot works great, but by the time I take the second shot I am counting down the minutes for the hour to pass so I can eat.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Hi all,

I'm just going to jump in with both feet. I think it's very serendipitous that I found this thread as just over the weekend I was trying to figure out why I can't stop eating everything in sight and came up with two things that I wanted to change to see if they would help: 1-give up drinking herbal tea all day every day. Yeah, it's healthy and yummy, but I feel like I'm now used to tasting something all day long, so my food cravings are increasing. And 2-add some extra coconut oil to my diet to see if that would help with my cravings. So Shangri-La seems like a perfect fit!

So now my stats: 38 years old, 5'4", 135 lbs. Been (not nearly perfect) Primal for 3 years and love the health benefits, but haven't lost an ounce over the long term. Actually, over the last few months my set point has crept up from 132, at which it had sat for the last decade plus. Not a big deal, but I'm sick of struggling every day not to eat everything in the house! I would love to get down to 125 at some point, but don't know if that's possible. I'm hypothyroid and have some hormonal issues going on as well, for which my doctor is giving me ever-increasing doses of bioidentical progesterone. I think that is some of my problem right there.

So my primary goal is to quit wanting to eat unhealthy crap (can you say sugar????) all the time and my secondary goal is weight loss. I steadfastly refuse to regularly count calories. I did it for a decade before I found Primal and will not become that neurotic person ever again. I portion my food carefully so always know exactly how much I'm eating and whenever I've done a test day of recording my calories they fall between 1200 and 1600, which is perfectly reasonable. Unless I'm on a junk-food bender, my carbs land between 50 and 75g.

I work out in some form or another most days - bodyweight training 3x/week, HiiT once a week and some other stuff sprinkled throughout. I work full time and go to school part time so I only have about 30 minutes a day to work out during the week. I work at a desk all day but bought a sit/stand desk (which is the best investment I've ever made!) so I stand for about half the day.

Here's goes nothing!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jenn!

Well, update from me - Started doing SLD on January 17, starting weight was 128.8
    AND started doing the high fat protocol as well. Keeping fat around 80% carbs around
    10 or 20g and protein around 55 to 60.

Everything was going fine for a bit, then I was stuck at 124.8 for a bit - then my kids had
    the week off for Presidents Day (the whole week) so I wasn't able to lift weights, and I wasn't
    walking back and forth to school 3 times a day, OR even GOING for walks barely (i usually walk
    enough to add up to 10 miles a day) because they didn't want to go with me, which was fine, it
    was vacation and all.

Then the next week one got the flu (a cold), then the husband and the other one got it, so still
    no gym and not a lot of walking. Then that weekend *I* got it and was out of the game for a week.

Just about zero exercise. Maybe 10K steps a day, IF that.

Now I'm down to 120lbs.

I lost the most weight during this last month of really scaling back the exercise..... which is odd, because
    it leads me to believe that I've been overtraining this whole fucking time and no WONDER I wasn't losing.

I wasn't even cutting freaking calories! I was porking down upwards of 1600-1700 a day (maintenance is 1800),
    so, wtf?

Went to the gym today for the first time in a MONTH, did 3X5's of squat, deadlift, arnold presses, lat pulldowns,
    step ups, bicep hammer curls, lying tricep extensions, weighted side bends, weighted decline sit ups, bench
    press and weighted lunges, ALL AT THE SAME WEIGHTS THAT I DID A MONTH AGO.

Which was great, because usually after a month of ZERO weight lifting, I have to start down at the freaking bottom
    again with stupid jackass bodyweight or lame weights. Whatever.

I'm not complaining, I'm just confused.

I've been trying to lose the last ten pounds for a year now and now all of a sudden, it happens?

Is it REALLY the more fat? Really? Eat fat lose fat?

Well I don't know what the f*ck else it could be because this is the only "new" thing I've tried
    in awhile, so, whatever.

More fat, more calories, less protein, less exercise = fitting into size 4 levi 550 jeans for my
    son's 8th birthday party yesterday.

These jeans have been LAUGHING AT ME since freaking September of last year. Jerks.

I showed them yesterday, OH YES I DID.

Even my brother in law was checking me out. Pervert!

Okay, there's my convoluted update........ back to scratching my head and downing
    copious amounts of coconut oil...

Well, not that much... usually three tablespoons a day.

Julie

Leida is offline Senior Member
    @unchantenfrance - I think we might have similar methabolic make-up.

OMGZ, Julie, adrenal fatigue is REAL, OMG!!! WOOT! Now I dunno if I should fit in cardio today or not. OMG, CONFuZAD!

Seriously, though, awesome results!

And Hi Jenn!!!

From curiosity, I calc'd my cals/macs today (not final, who knows, I might eat a bucketfull tonight yet) and came up with 1650 cals/170 carb/76 fat/100 prot

EDIT: BTW, for those who are curious, I went to see the acupuncturist, who diagnosed the adrenal fatigue, told me to half my gym time and gave me a herb mixture that does something to yuin/liver and, get it, addresses mood disorders AND increases appetite. One thing I have never complained about was my appetite. I swear, after 7 hours in labor, a full spinal, and surgery to saw me up after my daughter's all-natural no-drug birth (my life is full of ironies), I told them I am hungry, they fed me like 2 cups of ice cubes before reluctantly agreeing to feed me. No appetite, what's that? he is like concerned I don't eat breakfast till 9 am. Well, that's because I load up at supper, duh. Otherwise I will be up at 2 am starved.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-12-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Wow, awesome results, Julie! I'm stuck at my 157, which was my pre-holiday weight. SLD + calorie counting has helped me shed 4 pounds of unintended gain, so now I am back to my regular old 157 and nothing noteworthy has been happening. 5 weeks of SLD now.

Yeah, it's goofy for sure.

I'm a very hyper and energetic person, so even if I had
    adrenal fatigue, I'd never know it.

I can go for a 12 mile hike and STILL want to run around crazy an hour
    afterwards. WHATEVER!

My cals/macs so far for the day (no dinner yet) are:

Cals - 893
    P - 35g
    C - 15g (if you do net, they'd be 8)
    F - 78g

% 15/7/78

After my gym stint I had my part time dog walking job for an hour, and he was
    CRAZY, so we basically RAN the whole time.

I really hope the fat on my ass was fueling it. HAR!

For dinner I'll probably have tuna with mayo, on sliced cheddar...

I plan to eat more protein on my lifting days, of which I'm cutting
    down to Tuesdays and Fridays, and still only doing the 3X5's as HEAVY
    as I can possibly tolerate.

Thanks for the props Leida! Totally confooozed as well.

Julie

p.s. thanks unchantenfrance!

Julie and Leida, are your calorie counts net or gross?

Hruh?

Those are just mine so far today - it's only 2:37pm here so I'll be having
    dinner later around 7, after my son's baseball game, so that'll up it.

I mean, you said you're eating 1600-1700 calories or more daily. Is that before or after you subtract the calories burned through exercise?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, sorry, math isn't my first language, or second, or third, or probably 100th....

I don't even count the exercise against the calories, ever.

I mean, I know them and all because I wear a bodybugg, but I never say "hey, i just walked four miles,
    burned 400 calories, and now I get to eat that in avocado."

Anyway, I get what you're saying, but those are the calories that are porked down by the end of the day,
    so I guess they're before being subtracted from the calories burned for the day.

I dunno if I'm making any sense...

Saturday I ate 1879 cals and burned 2178, so, supposedly a deficit of 319, but who really knows
    if all that burning is actually accurate.

I don't know WHAT to believe anymore.