Page 85 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 85

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey all! Finally! I saw my # budge. Sheesh. It took a week to get there but I'm so so happy! Today I'm down 1.5 pounds from what I've been stuck at for like 4 months. Yay! Hope this is the start of my journey to a new set point. I'll keep you updated! And it for sure has been an AS for me and I continue to take a probiotic with my shot to keep the digestive issues at bay and that's been great.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Update after my first full week on SLD with calorie restriction – I have lost 4.5lb which is amazing but I am not yet convinced it is the tasteless calories that is making this work, I suspect it is more to do with the enforced no-eating times making it easier to restrict calories.

Switching to refined CO has worked well but I have not always had the evening shot, which is probably why AS has not kicked in yet.

The big test is yet to come over the next couple of weeks as I am nearing a New Stone Zone (I’m in the UK so these are important milestones) & I always stall for weeks before breaking through the wall so I will try to be more proactive with the evening shot & keep my fingers crossed.

cwtch is offline Junior Member
    Hey Ddraig coch, I am assuming by your screen name that you are welsh! I am in Wales.

4.5lbs is pretty amazing - I understand what you say about the stone marker... always hard to get down to the next number! Keep up the good work and let us know how you get on.

I am still doing the EVOO in the mornings - although I haven't done it over the weekend and I still have good AS, back to it in the morning. I am still at 163, so hopefully I can keep dropping and hopefully I have broken this set point. I have indulged in a few 'treats' this weekend, nothing major as I find it hard to 'cheat' whilst eating primally. The treats were in the form of a few pints of cider on a girls night out and a small cake! So not that bad for a previous sugar monster!

Lets hope that things keep getting smaller!!

On a side note, I have had a lot of comments about how lovely my hair is and how shiny & healthy it is looking now! A drastic change from the new year, where it was just awful, dry and 'tired' looking all the time. It is very fine but has started to feel and look thicker. Not sure if this way of eating or the extra oil is the cause but I will take it! Lovely 'side effect'!

Hope everyone is doing well...

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I've been MIA for a while but I fell off the wagon a bit (in terms of caloric restriction and some food choices) because of TOM and DH's birthday weekend (which was awesome). I stopped doing the oil shots for a few days too, but the AS was mostly there. I'm back on program, though, so will keep reporting.

Also, the...... blockage I experienced when I first started SLD seems to have cleared.

cwtch: Yes, all the fat and protein definitely makes for shinier hair! My hair used to be a dull mousey brown but now (yes I am bragging) it is ridiculously shiny. Kate Middleton ain't got nothing on me. :-P
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 03-04-2013 at 05:51 AM.

cwtch is offline Junior Member
    Hiya unchatenfrance... what does MIA mean, I am still new to this and trying to work out the lingo!

I found that, even though I missed two days of the oil over the weekend, that I still had pretty good AS... mad isn't it!
    Had a pretty good day today food wise, stayed on course. Been a little stressed - have two poorly kids at the moment and I am amazed that I haven't turned to food - so there is another bonus of this primal way of eating.

And yea, the shiny hair is defo a good thing... even with very little weight loss there are a lot of other benefits that can easily be seen, and that makes me feel better in myself. I love your Kate Middleton comment!!!

Do you think that the oil has helped with the 'blockage', I suffer with this also! It is a nightmare isn't it!

Looking forward to more updates and hoping the scale will move for me again soon!

MIA - missing in action

And - sorry for the TMI - as for the blockage, when I started SLD I had issues the first 3 weeks. But now that my first menstrual cycle on SLD has passed, it seems to have cleared. I do supplement with magnesium and my morning coffee with heavy cream is usually enough, but it became less effective once I started SLD. I have found that I am not getting "the urge" anymore. I really do have to remind myself to go. The only variable in my diet has been SLD, so I don't know what else could be going on.

diene is offline Senior Member
    As I was taking my oil shot just now, I suddenly realized that, for people who don't experience any AS on the SLD initially, to continue on this "diet" requires a lot of faith. If you're not experiencing AS and hence not reducing your overall caloric consumption, then continuing to do oil shots just adds 240 calories to your normal caloric consumption. Wouldn't this just lead to weight gain over time? I've only gotten back to doing SLD for a week, but already I feel like I don't have enough faith to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    As I was taking my oil shot just now, I suddenly realized that, for people who don't experience any AS on the SLD initially, to continue on this "diet" requires a lot of faith. If you're not experiencing AS and hence not reducing your overall caloric consumption, then continuing to do oil shots just adds 240 calories to your normal caloric consumption. Wouldn't this just lead to weight gain over time? I've only gotten back to doing SLD for a week, but already I feel like I don't have enough faith to continue.
    I count calories on SLD. I can't not count them (when I'm trying to lose fat) because even after 4 years of Primal I still don't know when to stop eating. I can always eat. Plus I'm trying to break through homeostasis and my body is being very stubborn about this so I have to count to make sure I am getting my 1700 net and no more (including the oil shots). On days that I don't feel like counting/am doing a refeed/will have a cheat meal, I don't do the oil shots because as you say, to me that just seems like adding unnecessary calories. The scale hasn't moved in weeks so I don't know if this is even working, though I think I am seeing an ever-so-slight change on the sides of my lower abs. If anything, I am anticipating that SLD may help me slightly recomposition, but I am not expecting the scale to move too far down past my current 157. (My previous set point was 152 but with less muscle.)

Stupid body. Why can't you be happy at 20%BF and not 25%?
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 03-11-2013 at 06:36 AM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I stopped counting calories a couple of weeks ago. I counted for a long time, but then I got really sick of it--weighing and logging every bite of food that I put in my mouth just got really annoying. I should get back to it though. *Sigh*

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For me the blood sugar stability >>> AS, though AS is a good thing as well. But I find that I only need now 1 tbsp of oil in the morning, that seem to give me all the benefits of the 2 spoons. Second spoon does nothing for AS in the afternoon. I just rather eat more real food.

I don't count calories, I just try not to take seconds, use the small bowls (1 cup) for my supper and lunch, and above all, not to eat treats with tea in the evening. On the balance, if I eat like that, I will be under 2000 cals a day, so yeah, good enough.

And, also, no weighing myself. No amount of accounting makes me less hungry, so what's the point.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-11-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.