Page 83 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 83

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    quick update: still bouncing around 155.6....havent had oil in a few days, but still have AS. will have oil again starting today before the AS wears off!! not giving up - cant seem to skip eating in the morning before exercise class, but I am usually going from 7 pm until 8 or 9 am with no food, so its still 13 hours or more. on saturdays I generally only have coffee with cream until 12 or 1 pm. I think I am going to try longer fasts, and i hope that will drop cals and kick in some real weight loss. I have also managed to walk alot more since the weather's been ok this week. walking seems to help keep the weight in check (from pastexperience I seem to lose more in spring and summer, and part of it is due to increased walking and other activity, i believe).
    For those who are frustrated by lack of weight loss, I have been doing Shangri-la for almost 2 months, and not lost anything. Also, I lost weight before Primal by low-carb, and went primal and didnt lose anymore. Now in the past year my weight is up 10 lbs. Sigh. I suppose some peri-menopause is part of all this at my age, so I feel like I have to paddle against the current. If I stop to rest I get pushed back and have to start again, so I will keep working at it.

calee is offline Senior Member
    I'm thrown off course. I can't do the MCT on the weekends because my body cleanses and I need a potty close. That said, te AS seems to carry into the weekends. My calories are never above 1500. Generally 1200-1300. This week I have eaten some potatoes and once a bagel at a work breakfast. Up two pounds. My balance is so fragile. I have to just say no to flour. This is my third time injesting flour since Jan 1st. It doesn't bring me good results! I am trying hard to get back to my 143 set point. I hate being 147 because it feels bad in my swollen joints. I'm glad I am a fast reactor to toxins. Maybe it will help me get clean.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    calee, it isnt easy to avoid grains, but as you noticed it is worth it! i have noticed my vitiligo reversing! its amazing because the dr.'s "dont know what causes it" and steroid creams are of limited help. (and they are STEROIDs, with side effects, yikes!) I found a mention of autoimmune diseases that are related to Gluten in "Wheat Belly", and it had never occured to me that gluten was my problem! so for the past year I have avoided gluten, and it has been so worth it! Also, my joints feel better without it, and without much dairy I am not in pain any more. Even without weight loss, the Primal way has helped my other issues.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    When my AS kicked in (for me it was immediate), my calories went down by 500/day. It was crazy. I think it's useful when the AS is in full force to really test out how little you can eat and not be hungry, to allow your stomach to shrink down some. Then, when you're in the groove, boost calories to a sustainable level.

cwtch, I know I just got done saying that it's my belief that you can eat pretty much anything within the caloric level you set for yourself and SLD will still work, but just looking at the food you listed, I would immediately cut out the nuts, dried cranberries, and brown sugar. That's A LOT of empty calories and appetite suppression is not going to work as well if you're not nourishing yourself. Take out the brown sugar completely, and replace the nut/cranberry meal with a meal of meat, green veggies, and a baked sweet potato (my dinner every night without fail is a portion of meat, a giant pile of steamed kale, collards, or broccoli with butter, and a sweet potato with butter). It'll come out to a better macro breakdown and be about 100x more nutritious, which will make your body go, "Oh, cool, we're good on fuel, let's let go of some of this extra fat."

My personal opinion is that anyone wanting to lose fat should be eating nuts and fruit very sparingly. The only fruit I eat is berries (they're relatively low in sugar) and I have at most 1tbsp of peanut butter a day (I know PB isn't primal but I just love it to death). I'm able to lose fat at these amounts, but if I ate more fruit and nuts it wouldn't budge.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    So I've come to the conclusion that I have to keep the dairy way under control. No amount of MCT oil is going to make up for the inflammation & bloat I'm getting from it.

That reminds me... I have to order more oil...

cwtch is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    When my AS kicked in (for me it was immediate), my calories went down by 500/day. It was crazy. I think it's useful when the AS is in full force to really test out how little you can eat and not be hungry, to allow your stomach to shrink down some. Then, when you're in the groove, boost calories to a sustainable level.

cwtch, I know I just got done saying that it's my belief that you can eat pretty much anything within the caloric level you set for yourself and SLD will still work, but just looking at the food you listed, I would immediately cut out the nuts, dried cranberries, and brown sugar. That's A LOT of empty calories and appetite suppression is not going to work as well if you're not nourishing yourself. Take out the brown sugar completely, and replace the nut/cranberry meal with a meal of meat, green veggies, and a baked sweet potato (my dinner every night without fail is a portion of meat, a giant pile of steamed kale, collards, or broccoli with butter, and a sweet potato with butter). It'll come out to a better macro breakdown and be about 100x more nutritious, which will make your body go, "Oh, cool, we're good on fuel, let's let go of some of this extra fat."

My personal opinion is that anyone wanting to lose fat should be eating nuts and fruit very sparingly. The only fruit I eat is berries (they're relatively low in sugar) and I have at most 1tbsp of peanut butter a day (I know PB isn't primal but I just love it to death). I'm able to lose fat at these amounts, but if I ate more fruit and nuts it wouldn't budge.
    thank you... I will cut them out, or just have them on my 'treat' day. I do tend to eat a lot of pork, chicken, bacon and beef in the week with stir fry veggies. It isn't often we have potato; sometimes sweet pot and sometimes whit pot. The sugar is defo a treat too... I cut that out over 4 weeks ago and it has been harder than cutting out the wheat and flour! I don't crave bread at all now - yey me! So although the scale isn't playing fair, I am seeing benefits else where.
    Like I said I will drop the nuts and let you know on any progress weight or otherwise.
    Actually dropping the nuts (pardon the pun) makes a lot of sense now, thinking about it. As I said before, my hubby has lost 23lbs since the beginning of the year with primal eating and is seeing huge benefits in a lot of areas. He never eats nuts cos he doesn't like them! And he eats a lot of berries, every morning actually for lunch - with a bit of youghurt. Perhaps I should follow suit.
    Thanks again... I love this thread... really interesting and inspirational.

Zena is offline Junior Member
    I am discovering that I really can eat anything I want if I eat fermented things several times per day and have MCT oil with my meals and ELOO between meals!

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Hi All

I have4 been following this thread for a few days now & have read lots of shovelqueen’s thread on the SL forum. I have been taking unrefined CO since Tuesday (wont do Walnut oil due to high omega 6 & struggling with the idea of refined anything. Also the CO was already planned into my menus anyway)

At first every thing was great, if fact I was struggling to eat 1000 cals. However, for the last 3 days I have started kitchen raiding at night again. I know part of the problem is that I have gone back to late nights on the computer & I always raid the kitchen then. It’s not because I’m hungry, I guess it’s just a habit.

Anyway, my real question is would it be Ok to have my last shot at night. I want to be 14hr IF & the kitchen raids don’t help so I thought if I had the second CO at the end of the feed window that would help the kitchen raids & help with the IF but did I read somewhere that CO at night keeps people awake?

Thanks for a great thread

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post

Anyway, my real question is would it be Ok to have my last shot at night. I want to be 14hr IF & the kitchen raids donít help so I thought if I had the second CO at the end of the feed window that would help the kitchen raids & help with the IF but did I read somewhere that CO at night keeps people awake?
    You can definitely have your last oil shot at night! Some people find that CO and/or MCT oil give them energy, making it hard to sleep at night. That's not the case with me. I could easily take CO right before bed and fall asleep no problem. So test it out. You should already know whether or not CO gives you energy. It's all personally customizable.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    You can definitely have your last oil shot at night! Some people find that CO and/or MCT oil give them energy, making it hard to sleep at night. That's not the case with me. I could easily take CO right before bed and fall asleep no problem. So test it out. You should already know whether or not CO gives you energy. It's all personally customizable.
    Thanks for the response - I haven't noticed any real energy buzz after talking CO so I will give it a go.