Page 80 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 80

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, Julie, you are a Canadian at heart! I grew up learning Imperial, then, about the end of elementary school, the whole country went metric, so I learned both. I weigh myself in lbs, but work professionally in kg, temps are in Celsius outside and on my furnace thermostat, but I use Fahrenheit on the oven. I cook using cups and tablespoons. I measure fabrics in inches when I'm quilting , but I buy it by the metre. The height on my driver's licence is in cm. I buy meat in kilograms. Yarn is in 50g or 100g balls, but I measure my work in inches. All the labs I use in my work are in metric, so when someone on this forum posts their blood sugar levels or cholesterol levels, I can only ballpark their results without looking it up.

It is a rather elegant system, isn`t it...
    Last edited by marthat; 02-18-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I am a first generation Canadian. I grew up with metric but I got used to imperial for height and body weight, and I loooove using cups for cooking measurements. Now that I know an ounce is 28 grams I can do conversions myself, but don't even talk to me about gallon, miles and Fahrenheit!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Lorichka, I am very similar to you. The oil shots stabilize my appetite, but I still have days when I eat 2,000+ calories. I try not to eat unless I am hungry for longer than 30 min. I noticed that with oil, digestion process sometimes gives signals similar to hunger, and

WARNING TMI!

seems that I feel hungry when I need to go BM, and after BM hunger goes away. That's never happened to me before the oil shots. So weird.

My hunger and fullness signals are waaay better though now. So, here is to hope. Weight did not climb this week. Fingers crossed I don't make up this week.

////

I used to love cups for baking etc, but now I am all into weighing - it is MUCH more better and precise. But i am used to inches and lbs for height and weight now, used to confuse the heck out of me.

////

I was trying to teach my daughter to do flips (again) and she does a headstand instead (holly sh***). Then casually rolls on. Freaked me out because of her neck whips back when she does it. Putting her into a beginner gymnastics class, since I feel completely uncomfortable with coaching her there. Push-ups are better, I think she can actually do 3-5 off a box, once I have corrected her movement, but I have to have my palm under her chest to guide the movement. She keeps going into tricep form, and crashing at the bottom without it.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-19-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    After a month of using refined coconut oil, I decided to switch up my oil at the end of last week. I already had ELOO for making mayonnaise so I gave that a shot (pun intended ). I didn't really notice a difference on the first day, but the second day was amazing! I ate breakfast around 12, and then didn't get hungry again until after 9!! I kept thinking, "This is crazy, I should eat". But I figured it didn't make sense to eat if I wasn't hungry. And I also wasn't wanting a glass of wine to go with dinner, and this was Friday night! ELOO for the win! At least for me, for now.

I initially thought that AS would be reduced on ELOO. I put my Tbsp. of refined CO in little plastic containers and put them in the fridge at work. Instead of shooting them, I crunch through a little disc of hardened CO. It probably sounds disgusting, but I like it! So I thought that some of the satisfaction I got from the oil was because I was actually chewing it, but apparently that has nothing to do with it.

I can see why some of you say that it's hard to get in enough calories some days!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Ok I think I've figured something out. I really need to keep carbs low (under 60g) to even have a snowball's chance in hell of netting under 1600 cals a day. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this... I won't be stepping on the scale again until TOM comes and goes, but I really hope to dip under 157. Please, stupid body? Pretty please with a dark chocolate square on top?

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    well, so I'm on the 2nd day of CO twice a day. Digestion is all fine, so that's good. Taking one shot first thing in the morning means I don't even eat until 11:30-1pm which is pretty amazing. I take the 2nd dose between lunch and dinner and am less hungry during dinner. And I'm surprised because I crossfit 3x a week, so that's good. I haven't been tracking my food, so I'm guessing my calories haven't dropped too much, but probably a little. I may track my food for a few days to just check out of curiosity. I stopped tracking 3 months ago and just eat until satisfied though.

Weight: jumped up to 174 (from 172) and was a little surprised, but it could just start whooshing off now? hopefully? probably? pretty please? LOL I'll update again in a few days or if I see the drop in weight.

Happy Paleo Girl, Thanks for the idea of putting some in the fridge! I'm going to be gone on Thursday so I'm thinking to just put a little in a tiny tupperware in my purse so I have it for the day.

goddesslynne is offline Junior Member
    I've taken 3 days to read this entire thread, and I can't thank you all enough for sharing your experiences!!

I'm 50, menopausal (as of this Jan.) and need to release about 50lbs. My brief weight journey: overweight teen, got slim in 20's, gained in my 30's up to 240lbs., released 95 in my 40's doing medifast and have had trouble ever since. I maintained for a while doing low-carb, but then it just started creeping back on. Tried a couple of crazy crash diets, but ended up at 165. Then, last summer, gained 20lbs. in 6weeks with no change in diet. Hot flashes came back (they had been controlled with non-soy herbals recommended by my gyno) and I went on bio-identical hrt. Add another 5 random pounds and here I am. I did a Whole30 between Thanksgiving and Christmas with no release of weight, and started a Whole100 on 1/1. Still no weight change!!

So, here I am. I have MCT oil from my foray into Bulletproof Coffee, so for the last 2 days I have had 1T mid-morning and 1T around 4pm. Monday was tough, my stomach was killing me, but I thought it was because I ate some sliced cheese and turkey at a business meeting (the cheese was off-program for me). Yesterday started out fine, even dinner was fine - and much smaller, about 1/2 of what I usually eat, but I had such trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and my stomach hurt again. As I was tossing and turning I thought, I'd rather be hungry than feel like this, but I know that is a bit of a lie. I hate being hungry and that's what I like about the Whole30 - eating to satisfaction. I'm just afraid that my lifetime of dieting has ruined my appetite and metabolism. I rarely get actually full.

So, today I'm thinking about just having the mid-morning oil shot. I have tons of EVCO, but I'm not sure about my ability to not taste it. Taking the MCT is not very pleasant, but I haven't gagged.

Oh, btw, I did weigh myself yesterday and I was 189.4, first time under 190 in a while!!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, Goddesslyne. I know how frustrating it is when you do the best you can, and the body just not responding. I hope SL helps you. I can testify that it took me over a month, but the sense of fullness is finally back.I think most people have better success with the light olive oil, so if the MCT doesn't work, don't give up, and just switch the oil.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, well, I don't know what's going on, but something interesting is happening.

Thought 123lbs was going to be a sticking point, and then day before yesterday I was
    back up to 125 and I thought "welp, here we go. this isn't working either".

But then last night before bed, I weighed myself and with my huge jeans, two sweatshirts,
    two long sleeved shirts, t-shirt, sports bra, tank top, shoes and underwear. A good 7lbs of
    clothing (even in california I'm freezing, har!) and the scale said 131.

So 131-7 = 124 and that was with eating food and drinking 96oz of water all day, so, it was
    a bit odd.

This morning I got on the scale (i weigh every day for trends, no matter how frustrating they
    are at times and put me in a bad mood) and it said 121lbs. What? Even with no, ahem,
    bathroom visit.....

Course I got on and off a thousand times, moved it to other locations (never go to the second
    location! not even a scale! but it had no choice) and still 121. Hmm.

The ONLY thing that has been different since Saturday the 16th, is that I have not been able to
    exercise like I normally do.

Saturday my cousin and I took a 7-8 mile hike, then Sunday the family and I went to the beach
    to look in tide pools and stuff for a couple hours (read: not strenuous), then we watched tv
    the rest of the day.

The boys are off school this week so no walking back and forth to school, and, well, basically
    not walking at all since they're not old enough to stay home by themselves while I take off.

And, no gym because I don't want to drag them to go too (though I should, for punishment
    for being jerks to each other 24/7 since Saturday, but whatever).

I know it's impossible to piss out a couple pounds of muscle in 5 days, and, of course that
    one's weight fluctuates lots during the course of the month (I track, I know, and I know myself),
    but this was just weird.

So maybe I'm overtraining, or overwalking, or who knows what.

But what ELSE am I supposed to do with all the energy I have? Clean my house? GOD NO.

That would be, like, productive or something, and I'm way too selfish for that nonsense.

Julie

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Are... You..... Complaining?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.