Page 8 of 175 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 8

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    thankfully, when i took the coconut oil (organic, unrefined i think) with water, I couldn't taste it because i took it so quickly. I hate the taste of the stuff, so. . . yeah.

i figure doing it once a day during my feeding window is okies.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    unless by "sushi" he means raw fish, rather than rice.
    The word sushi actually means vinegared rice. A sushi dish by definition is based on a ball or roll of rice--the fish or other ingredients are secondary.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    The word sushi actually means vinegared rice. A sushi dish by definition is based on a ball or roll of rice--the fish or other ingredients are secondary.
    Yes, yes, yes...
    But in common speech it is not that uncommon to say something like "Hey, I'm going out for sushi! Want to come with me?"
    But then just order a seaweed salad and sashimi platter to devour.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    I want to try this Shangri La business. A TBS of oil twice a day, and hour before or after any other flavored substance....and I will loose weight? Sign me up! I can't seem to drop below 134lbs for more than a couple of days at a time. I think lowering my "set point" would really help.

All I have is organic virgin coconut oil, and it does have a taste. Faint but there. I don't know if I can find refined coconut oil where I am living right now- what other oil should I try? And can I just use the virgin coconut oil I have and plug my nose?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Heatseeker, where is Seth Roberts' blog where he discusses his personal experiments? When I went to his website, I found that he quoted your OP from this thread, but couldn't find much else.

This is what I found:

Seth's Blog

Sashimi would be fish sans rice.

I thought the origin of sushi was some odd fisherman's meal involving slightly fermented fish (yum!) with rice, which would have been duplicated more recently using vinegar to replicate the tang of fermentation (cf. fermented traditional sauerkraut v. modern vinegar-based kraut). Would be interesting to go to a top sushi place and send back the order for being too fresh.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Heatseeker, where is Seth Roberts' blog where he discusses his personal experiments? When I went to his website, I found that he quoted your OP from this thread, but couldn't find much else.

This is what I found:

Seth's Blog
    Don't mean to jump in, but I found a lot of good info on their forums sethroberts.net forums - Index

Particularly this one: The Ultimate FAQ Answer Guide

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Otzi!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I have a few questions: I normally IF until noon, is once a day good enough, ie. mid-morning for me? I read they recommend something like 1TBS per 75lbs of weight, that would be about 3 TBS for me--sound right? Do you use organic virgin coconut oil? The stuff I have is solid at room temp and has quite a coconut smell, but little taste--is that the good stuff?
    otzi, don't be a hater! To answer your questions, I don't really know how the volume of oil you take specifically affects yours results, but I imagine a thorough perusing of the many different experimentation threads on the SLD forums would give you a good idea. I do 2tbsp, but on days when I've been lazy or just forgotten to take the second tbsp, I haven't noticed any stalling in the weight loss. What I've noticed is that, for me, the weight loss goes in a five-day cycle approximately like this: loss, LOSS, loss, maintain, maintain (the lower-case "loss" is .5lb to 1lb, the all-caps "LOSS" is 1.5-2lb). Once every two or three of these cycles, there is a gain of 1-2lb, which then immediately goes away again with the new cycle. It was reading through the threads on the SLD forums, like marthat's thread that she linked, that helped me not freak out if I had a gain.

All told, since starting SLD on Dec. 3, I've lost 14.1lbs at my lowest (three days ago); I had a gain of a pound yesterday that I maintained today, so it's 13.1 lbs lost at the moment. Even with little blips and gains, the weightloss cycle I described has been weirdly steady, like clockwork. Also, during Christmas week, I definitely indulged in non-paleo goodies like pizza, cookies, and ice cream, and still lost weight.

3tbsp is what a lot of men on the SLD forums do, so I think that sounds fine. I'd say just experiment. If you get solid appetite suppression at 2tbsp, no reason to overdo it with 3.

I use Spectrum organic coconut oil, REFINED. That part is important. I started off with the unrefined virgin oil from Dr. Bronner I had laying around, and the coconut flavor was so strong that even pinching my nose and rinsing out my mouth with water afterwards, I could taste it. It's very important to have NO flavor associated with the oil. I just hold my nose while I take my oil, works perfectly.

Heetseeker, im wondering if you used a different oil or the sugar water if you would see the same results.
    A very good question, and maybe once I've hit my weight loss goal I'll play around with it. There are a whole field of unknowns associated with this--primarily, once I hit my goal weight, if I stop taking the oil, will I gain again?--that are bridges I'll have to cross when I come to them. But if I had to guess, I'd say, yes, it would work with different oils. People on the SLD forums use a wide variety of oils. marthat used all kinds of things, and even had success eating cottage cheese with her nose clipped to block out the flavor. As far as the sugar water? No clue, and I don't really see a circumstance where I'd try the sugar water method, but loads of people have had the exact same results with SW as with oil, so my guess would be, probably.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Don't mean to jump in, but I found a lot of good info on their forums sethroberts.net forums - Index

Particularly this one: The Ultimate FAQ Answer Guide
    Look out, folks! Otzi has found The Next Big Thing. Hey Otzi, my friend, would it totally bum you out to know that I have been following this protocol for ages? I just came at it from the Enig & Fallon book (minus the sprouted grains) approach rather than the SLD.

What I basically do is have what I call my "fat snack" sometime in the afternoon and then a normal sized dinner about two hours later. I have rooibos tea with coconut cream in the mornings. The fat snack is sometimes butter and sometimes CO. I don't know why but some days I am just craving one and the other sounds disgusting, then the opposite on another day. The fat snack really does blunt the hunger.

It's interesting when "experts" as divergent as Roberts, Enig, Fallon, and Peat all come to the same conclusion about coconut oil.

Page 8 of 175 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast