Page 62 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 62

beckie is offline Member
    Thanks for the reply heatseeker! Your suggestion is pretty close to what I decided to try. This morning I switched from ELOO to CO. I also decided to up my fat intake a little bit, thus increasing my calories.

For a point of reference, how long did it take for you to break through your plateau?

It would be absolutely ridiculously awesome if I could come close to my goal before swimsuit season starts, which is pretty soon here (forecast is 75 on Saturday). I haven't bought a new suit in over 5 years, so this will be my "reward".

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    After I made the tweaks I described, I started losing again pretty much right away.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Feel better soon Heatseeker!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beckie View Post
    Not sure what has happened, but it appears that my weight loss has stalled and I'm looking for a few suggestions from some with experience using SLD. I've been weighing the same for ~10 days. I've also noticed that I am hungrier and that the appetite suppression effects of SLD have faded. Is this normal? Should I just wait it out? Do I need to change something?

My calorie intake ranges anywhere from 1100 to 1400, with a target of 1300. I eat low-carb with typically <50g carbs per day. Not really sure what to change.....

Thanks!
    Yes it's very normal. The weight loss in SLD seems to come in "whooshes" with long periods of stability between. Up to 2-3 weeks, but then you let go of 2-4 lbs almost overnight. If you subscribe to setpoint theory and it's effect on appetite, then the sequence goes like this:

1. Taking the flavourless calories triggers a lowering of the setpoint in the brain. Suddenly your weight (fat stores, some blood component - who know what the actual mechanism is) is higher than your setpoint, so your appetite drops off - you get AS. As you lose weight to meet or drop below your setpoint, your AS will weaken and/or your appetite return.
    2. If you continue taking the SLD calories and keep your overall caloric intake reasonable, you will have a period of increased-back towards-normal appetite as your weight is now below your setpoint. Eventually, your setpoint will respond to the SLD and drop again. Now your weight above the setpoint again. All of a sudden, AS is back and your weight will drop off - a "whoosh". Then stabilize again as your weight approaches your new setpoint.
    3. Repeat as necessary.

AS will wax and wane with this cycle.

The other thing to remember is that AS is not meant to kill hunger entirely. Your body will still demand food when it is truly in need of food. But all the "noise" of appetite, emotions and environment is reduced, which is very peaceful for many eaters. Hence the reference to Shangri La - making peace with food.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    ^This is what I think I experienced last week.^

LadyTime left the building and I had no other reason to explain
    my downright STARVINGNESS.

So I upped the oil. Instead of doing 2 shots, I did three, still kept
    cals the same.

I even would have done FOUR shots of oil to keep the hunger monster at
    bay.

It worked well because yesterday I got away with only two shots of oil AND
    being fully nauseatingly satiated on only 1200 calories.

This was even on a weight lifting day (full body routine) AND walking a total
    of 8 miles...

So I'll be expecting my whoosh soon, as soon as my body lets go of 123.2lbs and
    moves on down.

I can wait, because this is freaking effortless and I'm over the moon
    with the shangri-la la laaaaaaaaaa.

Julie

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am experimenting right now by taking the second oil shot later in the day. I am still having trouble with evening hunger. Anyone had the same issue os is your hunger level throughout the day?

On the positive note: I have experienced a desire to weigh myself twice so far, but blocked it with the idea that it is pointless, because I do not want to do anything but to move with joy and abundance and eat when hungry and try to stop when full. Therefore, the weight is irrelevant.

I still experience a slight twitch of envy when I hear about anyone loosing weight, but it is becoming easier to divert my thoughts to being content and grateful with what I have.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    For those of you tracking cals, how much are you consuming? I've just started (day 2) and am netting 100-300 above my BMR.

I've been "averaging" (just plugged in the numbers) 1600 so far from
    January 17th until today, but yesterday and today have been 1200/1300
    calorie days as my appetite is down.

But that doesn't mean that I might not make a pig out of myself on Friday
    night when it's WINE TIME... but that's two days away, so......

Dunno if ANY of that answers your question... but there it is.

Julie

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Oh wine time..... haven't had that in a while.

I guess I'll eat enough so that I'm not hungry but not go overboard (I have to count otherwise I overeat). Today I am feeling a lot hungrier than I was earlier in the week (and lady time just wrapped up) though I did lift today. I'll just go with the flow and see what happens.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, see, same thing as me... so instead of eating more, I just did more oil.

Not like I didn't eat at all or anything, but now that I understand that yummy calories
    up ye ol' set point, I still eat normal food, but stuff I don't want to OVER eat.. like eggs
    and meats... and hope the oil quells the appetite for SS (stupid shit).

Like I had just finished my 3 eggs, two sausages and 2 pieces of bacon at 1:45pm, brought
    my plate up to the sink and saw a baggie (left by the kids) of Pirate's Booty (white cheddar
    cheese puffs), and even though I'd JUST freaking eaten (over 500 cals at that!), I salivated
    over that damn Pirate's Booty like I hadn't eaten in a WEEK.

That's the stupid shit I'm talking about and trying NOT to eat (among other things) because I
    can just eaaaaat and eaaaaaat and eaaaaaat it, no matter WHAT I've eaten prior.

So for now, it's oil and boring ass food, but nutritious food....

Meh, I'm rambling again.

Julie