Page 6 of 175 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 6

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Heatseeker, I've been trying to explain SLD to people for 5 years now. It's nearly impossible unless people are open to thinking outside the box and are willing to put CW aside. We have lots of "outside the box thinking" going on in these forums, and most are willing to disregard the CW low-fat dogma. But many of them are firmly set into another "box", and are not going to look into SLD. Let them be...

BTW, Seth Roberts has experimented with using butter, flax oil, or butter wrapped in beef as his "flavourless calories". And noted interesting effects with each different fat. He chronicles his n=1 experiments on his blog.
    Last edited by marthat; 01-01-2013 at 06:00 AM.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    So I decided to give this a try yesterday. My one tbsp of refined CO at 2 PM didn't help with the alcohol induced munchies last night though In all seriousness - I give my dogs 2 tbsp of CO oil a day - I'll try it on myself!

One question for people who do this - after eating my tbsp of CO (less enjoyable than I thought) I got really warm. My face was all red and I felt much warmer than I usually do. Does this happen to you? Around here in the winter this might be reason enough to do it!

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    So I decided to give this a try yesterday. My one tbsp of refined CO at 2 PM didn't help with the alcohol induced munchies last night though In all seriousness - I give my dogs 2 tbsp of CO oil a day - I'll try it on myself!

One question for people who do this - after eating my tbsp of CO (less enjoyable than I thought) I got really warm. My face was all red and I felt much warmer than I usually do. Does this happen to you? Around here in the winter this might be reason enough to do it!
    Yep, thats the MCT's, they really crank up the metabolism. Go back and check out that link i post on page 3 or 4, pretty interesting stuff on coconut oil.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Whoa, interesting! I've never had that reaction. I purposely chose coconut oil for the MCTs, and I would hope it's revving my metabolism (which is glacial), but I've never gotten warm or hot after eating it. That's so cool.

Thanks for all the discussion, everyone! It's definitely a super odd, out-of-the-box thing, but like I said, I didn't want to keep it to myself because I knew there were other people on this board having setpoint issues.

For those looking to try it, I'm pretty sure you could literally use whatever you wanted for the extra SLD calories--the key is that there is NO flavor an hour before, an hour after, or during. You have to hold your nose while knocking back the oil/eating the tallow/whatever.

marthat, I read your whole journal yesterday--so interesting!! Thanks for sharing! I had so much unexpected success so quickly with SLD that I wasn't chronicling. It was only after I hit the 10lb lost mark that I thought, man, I should really pipe up about this.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, coconut oil definitely makes you "hot." It's cooling on the skin, but hot on the inside.

I usually only eat it with food, or use it for teeth cleaning, etc. I honestly hate the taste of the stuff. But, if it's "on" something, I am sometimes ok.

feralguy is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing Shangri-La for over three years. Here is a link to a summary of my experience, including a graph of my weight loss:

Shangri-La Diet: Two years of data

The page is a bit out of date. My weight is currently hovering around 199 or 200 lbs. I think the weight gain may be partly explained by the fact that I have not been doing nose-pinching while consuming the flaxseed oil, which does have a flavor and a smell to it. I have recently started doing the nose-pinching, so we'll see if that helps.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    marthat, I read your whole journal yesterday--so interesting!! Thanks for sharing! I had so much unexpected success so quickly with SLD that I wasn't chronicling. It was only after I hit the 10lb lost mark that I thought, man, I should really pipe up about this.
    Wow - that's a lot of reading! And thanks for posting - it has reminded me that I should get back into the oil for pushing past this setpoint and for getting myself over the hump of Christmas carb-overfeeding...

Paleobird Guest
    It seems like the SLD, as long as you go the CO route and not the sugar-water one, is right in line with what Mary Enig and Sally Fallon are saying in "Eat Fat, Grow Slim".

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    May as well just do a BP coffee right?
    To some, that tastes good. I think the whole point of it is to purposely be flavorless. Get calories in which will blunt your hunger later when you go for a meal but doesn't trigger the reward reaction in your brain because it has no discernible taste.
    I've done a fair amount of "looking into" SLD in my slow migration across 4HB, Paleo, Primal, etc. type diets (the SLD was a "lost chapter" in Four Hour Body book, fwiw) and while I've never gotten to the point of taking "oil shots" there are some concepts that are at least interesting.

Somewhat coincidentally, I read about BP coffee here about the same time I stumbled across "Platinum calories" over on a SLD forum. Link: Platinum Calories check-in

So, yeah...there's a fair amount of crossover there. And, I do love my BPC (which when consumed in isolation also qualifies as "Platinum calories") and the appetite suppression is quite noticeable for me!
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It seems like the SLD, as long as you go the CO route and not the sugar-water one, is right in line with what Mary Enig and Sally Fallon are saying in "Eat Fat, Grow Slim".
    That was my take, too.

Page 6 of 175 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast