Page 58 of 175 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 58

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by HopelessDreamer View Post
    [I]So far SLD has not produced weight loss for me, although I am eating 600-700 calories LESS and getting FULL so easily. and i mean truly FULL as in i cannot eat again for hours. that hasnt been the case in ....maybe never? i would always eat, then a short while later, want to eat again. so there have been some very positive changes, but not yet weight loss. i have only been going on for about 2.5 weeks, and i am loving not needing/wanting to eat much.
    just a note: i DO have an appetite, but i simply cannot eat the quantity i ate before. i used eat about 5 eggs,(and butter) 3 cups of wilted spinach and maybe some sauteed mushrooms, and coffee with cream and STILL eat more short while later - NOT anymore!! now i have to remind myself to only cook 2-3 eggs, and a small amout of greens, because i cant finish more than that, and i will be truly full for most of the day. YEAH!! Thanks for this post - it has finally made things so much better for me.
    This alone is a great reason to experiment with the SLD.

I can't help but wonder if anyone is using anything other than oil for their flavorless calories. I just can't wrap my brain around how flavorless sugar water could achieve the same effect as using oils or fats.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post

I can't help but wonder if anyone is using anything other than oil for their flavorless calories. I just can't wrap my brain around how flavorless sugar water could achieve the same effect as using oils or fats.
    I think Seth Roberts has some theories about the "flavorless" calories in his book and blog, but he admits that insulin spikes from drinking sugar water can be bad.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post

I've been having trouble achieving the kind of appetite suppression that I want and I did try the sugar water one day. I actually took 1 T. oil and followed it with 3 T. sugar in warm water. That totally killed my appetite. Can't say I felt all the great for a few hours, but I didn't eat much that day! I haven't continued with it for obvious reasons, but if AS doesn't kick in soon with the oil I might consider it for a short amount of time.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I'm 5'6" as well, and thanks to a small bone structure, 150 lbs (where I'm at right this minute) is about 20 lbs of excess fat (and believe me, it's not in my boobs!) My fat % on my Tanita scale is 32% or more - too much. So it's often about the bones. My wedding band is a size 4. I had a girlfriend whose wedding band was a size 9. We were the same height and the same weight ( about 135-140 back then - we're talking decades ago), and she was slim and flatbellied, I was pearshaped, soft and squishy.

We're all different.
    I'm small boned (fingers around wrist overlap by 3/4") and 5'7". I have at least 100 lbm, possibly 105 now but I'm starting to question if it is that much. At 140 I'm chubby, 130 I look pretty good in most clothes, 125 I look great in any clothes and pretty decent in a bathing suit. I think 120 would get me looking like a fitness model, that number might be at 125 now though depending on how much muscle I've actually gained.

I know there are huge variations based on bones and muscle, but I also find it shocking how many people are happy to hit the high end of the not overweight category. I'm not satisfied with my current weight and I don't think everyone should strive for looking like an athlete, however I don't think it is a sign of health to remain 30 pounds higher than an athlete would be. I do understand that for some of those people it may have just been an intermediary goal on a larger weight loss journey.

marthat is online now Senior Member
    How tall are you, Julie? You look tall in your avatar pic...

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'3 AND A HALF.

My husband gives me shit for adding the half, but I am, I am!

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys!

So I haven't read the whole thread, but I've read a bit and I hope you'd be able to recommend whether SLD could help me.

I'm 5'1'' and about 115lbs (pre-Xmas I was 110, haven't been able to shift it). I'm not bothered so much about weight loss as fat loss. I lift 3-4 times a week and would really like to be more defined - I feel like all my muscle is hiding under fat I also do 2-3 stair climbs a week, and basically just try and stay active. Oh I ride to work every day, 20 mins each way. I try and do yoga 1-2 a week also.

I've been paleo for about a year now, and lost about 30lbs and packed on some muscle. Now I feel like there is nothing I can do to lower my BF (I think its maybe about 19%?)

I was thinking about cutting out breakfast, but I feel when i do that at work it leads to cravings. Blah.

If I woke, had coffee (w/ coconut milk) and then and hour later (at work) had a tbsp of coconut oil, would this have a decent chance of success?

Thanks for you help! #firstworldproblems
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    Goosejuggler:

the only way to know what wil work for you is to TRY it on yourself! n=1 experiment. We can tell you what works for us, but as you may have noticed, even people who are the same height have different weights and sizes otherwise! and on the inside, each body is different and reacts differently to the same stimulus, etc etc..
    I am confident that this will work for most people, especially if they are already doing a healthy lifestyle. (primal/paleo, sleeping well, exercise, sunlight...)
    Just try it and let us know!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I'm 5'3 AND A HALF.

My husband gives me shit for adding the half, but I am, I am!
    Are you doing yoga? I was just over 5'6" but now I am legit 5'7" (my doctor says so!) due to the spinal decompression from my regular Les Mills Body Flow (4x week).

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I've been having trouble achieving the kind of appetite suppression that I want and I did try the sugar water one day. I actually took 1 T. oil and followed it with 3 T. sugar in warm water. That totally killed my appetite. Can't say I felt all the great for a few hours, but I didn't eat much that day! I haven't continued with it for obvious reasons, but if AS doesn't kick in soon with the oil I might consider it for a short amount of time.
    I just think the whole concept is so interesting - I'm fascinated by it. I completely get the fats being effective, but the sugar water part just throws my understanding off. (I have this bad habit of wanting to know EXACTLY how things work.) Either way, it's cool to read how many are seeing benefits of the SLD.

Considering that flavorless calories seem to be working for so many, I've found myself wondering what effect "calorie-less flavors" truly have on us - such as artificial sweeteners, sugarless gum, etc. I know there are plenty of headache-inducing theories on it, as there are on everything else.

Glad you posted on this, Heatseeker, and I hope you continue to feel great and kick CF butt. I'd been wondering how you've been.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson