Page 56 of 175 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 56

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am not plateauing, I am gaining ever since I stopped counting and starving in what, November?

As for foods I am eating, I eat food, most of it paleo and a bit of junk and empty. I am done with trying to find a miraculous way of eating that will keep me both happy and "not fat". It doesn't exist, my body simply wants more fat, and always did. Even at 120 lbs I am still plump, and not being plump (I can only guess it would be ~ 100-110 lbs range) involves the completely unsustainable lifestyle. I kept my weight artificially down through limiting intakes and variety. Now I try to eat when I am hungry, really hungry, not trying to fill a void of some other emotion, and learning to stop when I am full - and I finally actually get full. I also try hard to pick the healthiest food from the type that my body asks for, because I know it will lash out if I try to substitute what I think is better for what it needs and I will just go on eating the 'right' choices but feeling unsatisfied because my body needs a banana, not meat.

Despite the fat belly in the mirror, that's the first time in years that I feel better about myself. Not yet to the point of sincerely believing that I am beautiful, but at least not equating being fat as being bad and stopping the mentality of the criminal eating. And I want freedom from numbers and oversight. I have counted and tracked calories, minutes of exercise, hours between meals, servings of fruit, laps swam, pieces of gum per day, total and net carbs, fats, proteins, fibre, weights lifted, body fat%, inches at 5 different places on my body, sizes, and gods only know what else. I have had tried many WOE that required complex eliminations and thinking about eating all the time. No more. Done.

Oil shots are great for me, and I will keep doing it along with working on stopping eating when I am full. I enjoy not thinking about food once I am full. I will do what I find fun in the gym and out doors, and my body will respond however it wishes. It is hard to get there, and a lot of my mind resist the effort, but if I don't do it, if I don't learn to be content with what my body can do, I will just continue to be miserable and for no good reason. There are better things than working 24/7 on being 'not fat'.
    Leida, this post and the couple before this have totally made my day. You and I are a lot alike and lately, I've been thinking about the fact that this hamster wheel that so many of us have been on (for years, decades....) has been taking our focus off of the bigger picture and making us miserable - not to mention what it's been doing to our bodies!

I have more to say, but have to be heading off to work before too long here - I just wanted to tell you how happy I am to read that you've had these "a-ha!" moments lately. I really hope that you (we) are able to stay focused on this and enjoy the bodies and health that we have been blessed with. We'll probably always strive to feel better and be healthier and at our best, but I think we've been guilty of letting perfect be the enemy of good! You are a good person, you are smart, you are strong. You've got a body that any woman would absolutely love to walk around in even for a day. Be kind to it.

Keep enjoying life! Your body, mind and family will thank you!

Btw, I have this little prediction in the back of my head that by giving your body a break and nourishing it while letting it heal from all of the years of chronic dieting, you may just be pleasantly surprised by what happens after it no longer feels like it needs to protect you from an ensuing famine. Keep on doin' what you're doin'!!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Khaleesi is offline Member
    Great posts! Well 2.5 weeks in on 1 meal a day. And a week in on CO shots. The oil is def making it easy to not think about food. Almost too easy. Yesterday I ate 6 short ribs for the whole day. Was shaking my head on that one. Even eating only 1 meal a day, I def eat a nice bowl full of food, so this was quite enlightening. And thrilling really. Am noticing that I am shrinking. So are other people. It feels good to hear that finally. I have been stuck in this dreadful heavier body so long. Am excited for spring, want to look good, feel good, and wear whatever I want for a change. I really enjoy following everyones progress. Thank you for sharing.

meadowlark is offline Junior Member
    I've decided not to do the SLD but have substited coconut oil as the only oil I use except for evoo for raw salads. I also use Lets Do Raw creamed coconut and coconut milk for a bullet coffee in the morning. This is something I can handle and the health benifits are great. Already feel lots better. Slight loss of weight but any downward trend that I can keep up is worthwhile. Coconut oil instead of butter on popcorn is GREAT and used to be used in theatres before the industries banned it. Same with co on chips. (experimentation obvious reason for small weight loss) I'm in love with this stuff, haven't felt so nourished (therefore not that hungry) in ages

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Down another pound today. Crazy. 11 days ago I was 139.6, today 135.0. I still don't really know if I believe that this is happening

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Down another pound today. Crazy. 11 days ago I was 139.6, today 135.0. I still don't really know if I believe that this is happening
    Believe it! It worked like that for me when I started years ago, and I'm hoping it will again. I maintained my 18 lb weight loss for well over a year before letting things slide again (Why, oh why, do we do this to ourselves???). Great work!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Well, I didn't maintain today, but I didn't bust into 153... just went down .2lb to 154.6. Eyeroll. The glacial loss/maintain periods between "whoosh" periods are sort of hilariously frustrating. But I think the great thing about SLD is that I have faith that there is another whoosh on the horizon! I just have to be patient.

As far as food/calories, my body is extremely happy right now with the 1200 food calories per day + 2 oil shots. Totally satiated, never feel hunger, and my workouts have been baller all week. And I'm still losing. So I think I can safely say that my first big lesson of SLD is the following:

1. If your oil amounts and food amounts don't change, and your appetite suppression starts to go away, you will stop losing and maybe gain a little (I gained back 3 pounds when my AS went away).
    2. Shake things up by switching oil and increasing your calories slightly until the AS kicks in again. Even with the increased caloric level, you will go back to losing.

I realize that may not be one-size-fits-all, but that was my experience of the past month.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi heatseeker!

Hmmmm... Interesting thread you have here. I just started reading this a.m. I just might partake. Thanks for posting!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I switched to refined CO from raw CO this morning. I can't believe how completely flavorless it is! It is nice to not have to nose plug. I'm hoping this will work better for me.

I've been gaining .2 daily completely due to my eating like a horse. My appetite has just been through the roof. So far SLD has only caused me to eat WAY more. On the positive side though a .2 increase each day is shockingly low for me considering the way I have been eating everything in sight. I would normally be up several pounds by now.

I'm continuing on. I feel encouraged reading the SLD forum and seeing that those already close to ideal can take 7 weeks for AS to kick in. I'm 5'7" 133.8 today and trying to get to about 125-7

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Heatseeker - are you taking measurements as well?

I know for a FACT (cuz I know everything, cuz I'm older than you, ha ha haha) that
    your baller workouts are keeping you from seeing anything on the scale.

U dun be tearin' it up woman! And that's totally awesome. But I bet if you took
    a week or more off x-fit (not advising this, just saying), the scale would go down.
    It's too busy holding onto water and repairing those muscles.

When I was weight training like a MAD WOMAN, I just could NOT get past 119
    on the scale, but, my UNDERWEAR was falling off of me. Underwear? Really? Really.

Anyway, I know you probably know all this (just pretend you didn't to preserve my
    feeling of hierarchy), just wanted to give you a reminder, cuz I'm a mom like that.

How tall are you again?

@Lala - I'm using refined coconut oil in the morning and regular old olive oil in the
    afternoon. I just mouth breathe for about 5 minutes after shooting it so I never
    taste the horrific flavor (olive oil isn't my favorite, but the thickness seems to do
    something to my brain - keeps me satiated LONGER, but the CO is way easier).

I can't WAIT to get on the scale.

Stupid LadyTime messing everything up with the damn BLOAT, but I know shit be
    a happenin' because I didn't even have to unbutton or unzip my jeans to get them
    off yesterday. HA!

My husband asked "are those MY jeans?".

No, stupid.

Dummy men!

Julie

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I bet if you took
    a week or more off x-fit (not advising this, just saying), the scale would go down.
    It's too busy holding onto water and repairing those muscles.

When I was weight training like a MAD WOMAN, I just could NOT get past 119
    on the scale, but, my UNDERWEAR was falling off of me. Underwear? Really? Really.
    Oh, I totally, totally know. And I can tell my body is recomping like crazy. The majority of the 16lbs I've lost on SLD happened within the two weeks we were off Crossfit for winter break, and I was sick at the same time so I wasn't working out. Inactivity + oil shots = the weight just fell off like crazy.

I'd be happy if I hit 150 and did nothing but recomp from there on out, without any scale change. I'm 5'6", so I think a muscular 150 is appropriate. But I do want to get to 150 (and a little part of me wants to get to 145, tbh!).

We're entering Crossfit Open season, so my training's only going to go up from here on out (but the flipside is that I will be eating suuuuuuuuper clean). It'll be interesting to see how my SLD-ing will be affected. I have no intention of stopping SLD, but I wonder if I'll lose my AS and need to increase my calories again. We shall see!