Page 54 of 175 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 54

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am not plateauing, I am gaining ever since I stopped counting and starving in what, November?

As for foods I am eating, I eat food, most of it paleo and a bit of junk and empty. I am done with trying to find a miraculous way of eating that will keep me both happy and "not fat". It doesn't exist, my body simply wants more fat, and always did. Even at 120 lbs I am still plump, and not being plump (I can only guess it would be ~ 100-110 lbs range) involves the completely unsustainable lifestyle. I kept my weight artificially down through limiting intakes and variety. Now I try to eat when I am hungry, really hungry, not trying to fill a void of some other emotion, and learning to stop when I am full - and I finally actually get full. I also try hard to pick the healthiest food from the type that my body asks for, because I know it will lash out if I try to substitute what I think is better for what it needs and I will just go on eating the 'right' choices but feeling unsatisfied because my body needs a banana, not meat.

Despite the fat belly in the mirror, that's the first time in years that I feel better about myself. Not yet to the point of sincerely believing that I am beautiful, but at least not equating being fat as being bad and stopping the mentality of the criminal eating. And I want freedom from numbers and oversight. I have counted and tracked calories, minutes of exercise, hours between meals, servings of fruit, laps swam, pieces of gum per day, total and net carbs, fats, proteins, fibre, weights lifted, body fat%, inches at 5 different places on my body, sizes, and gods only know what else. I have had tried many WOE that required complex eliminations and thinking about eating all the time. No more. Done.

Oil shots are great for me, and I will keep doing it along with working on stopping eating when I am full. I enjoy not thinking about food once I am full. I will do what I find fun in the gym and out doors, and my body will respond however it wishes. It is hard to get there, and a lot of my mind resist the effort, but if I don't do it, if I don't learn to be content with what my body can do, I will just continue to be miserable and for no good reason. There are better things than working 24/7 on being 'not fat'.
    Amen, Leida!! Life is too short to analyze every calorie eaten and burned, to not even get down to the weight that you're shooting for and to still be hungry all the time. Everyone's body is different, and you may be right that yours just likes to have a certain amount of fat on it.
    I am starting to come to the same sort of acceptance with my body as well. Something happened to me a year and a half ago during a week long camping trip in the desert that caused my body to start stock piling water weight (I'm still not sure of the cause, despite thousands of dollars spent on doctors and lab work). It's only gotten worse, so that I'm now carrying at least 15 lbs of water weight no matter what I do, short of fasting, which I obviously can't sustain for prolonged periods. In any case, the weight lost w/fasting comes right back once I start eating again. I went from being in the best shape of my life to hating what I see in the mirror, just like that. But that's no way to live. I know it's not my fault, no amount of strict clean eating and exercise makes a difference. So I'm starting to be kinder to myself, to start accepting my body the way that it is, even though it's not the way that I would like it to be.
    I'm going to do the best that I can for myself on the food and fitness front, as well as try to keep stress to a minimum, get good sleep, have some fun and start doing some mindfulness meditation. There's no point in beating myself up about something that I currently do not have the ability to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Despite the fat belly in the mirror, that's the first time in years that I feel better about myself.
    This speaks volumes. I'm working on getting to that point too.

Like you, I love the freedom from hunger and food obsession that the oil shots give me, despite not seeing any downward movement on the scale.

It sounds like you are in a great place mentally. Kudos to you!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Arggghhhh... looks like my "whoosh" is over... I maintained today. I was really hoping to bust into the 153 range. I'll get there soon, I'm sure, but man I'm impatient.

Leida, I totally get your frustrations. I was exactly where you are before I started SLD. It's literally only thing that has worked to budge my stubborn setpoint. I'm bummed it didn't work for you, but I think you have the right attitude in just making peace with your body and deciding to love it for a while instead of fighting against it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    (hugs) I heartily recommend mediation and gentle free-flow dancing and stretching. I used to scoff it as new-agey and useless (not burning any calories, duh!) but it is super for getting mind to live in this body, the one you have, and not trying to go into some imaginary body or beat it up into the coveted shape.

As for my Aha moment, I was swimming in Cuba, and the ocean was choppy and getting choppier, and I was pushing myself because I ate too much at breakfast, and it actually got scary (I am a good swimmer but I know my limits), I just realized that "She just wanted to lose 20 lbs" makes a stupid, pointless and sad epitaph. And then I thought that I kill myself day in and day out by robbing myself of joy and activities and sometimes risking injury, to push my body to lose fat that it by some reason wants... so, yeah, I am learning to live in my real body, not the dream one.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sunnie123 is offline Junior Member
    Hi all!
    I almost never post, but I have been following this thread and am very interested. My body seems to have a VERY strong setpoint. That is great when I'm at a good weight, but about 2 years ago I put on 10+ lbs, and I can NOT get it to budge. I feel like I can starve myself and workout like crazy, or eat pretty much whatever I want, and there is hardly any difference. It has been very discouraging.
    I bought some ELOO and some refined CO. I've tried the ELOO a couple times and I gagged on it, so this is going to take a little getting used to. I can relate to a lot of what marthat said above, and I would also like to buckle down and give this a solid try in the month of Feb. I took my oilshot this morning, just as my stomach was growling for breakfast, and it did help. Fingers crossed!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I'm bummed it didn't work for you, but I think you have the right attitude in just making peace with your body and deciding to love it for a while instead of fighting against it.
    For all I know it is working just fine, it is that my set point should be above my current weight for my body to function properly and, like grow muscle! The oil shots had a lot of positive effect, stabilizing my blood sugar throughout the day and really magnifying the fullness signal. I intend to keep taking oil for sure.

Sunnie123, good luck!!!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thanks, you too!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Hi, sunnie123! One thing that helped me knock back the oil was heating it up a little in the microwave (careful not to get it hot, that's dangerous). It feels more natural and goes down easier if it's warm.

I took my oilshot this morning, just as my stomach was growling for breakfast, and it did help. Fingers crossed!
    One thing: I actually find that taking the oil when I'm already hungry doesn't work as well for appetite suppression. It definitely blunts the existing hunger, but I find it works WAY better and I NEVER feel hungry if I take it in between meals when I'm not hungry at all.

Stephanie is offline Member
    I've been following this thread and finally bought the book today. :coo

Super excited to try it out!

Good tips, heatseeker, thanks! I would like to take it first thing in the morning, but I'm rarely up early enough to have that hour buffer after I brush my teeth and before I fix my cup of coffee for the road. (And I can't give up the coffee ) So I've been trying to take it an hour after the coffee, and that's just when my stomach starts to rumble for breakfast.
    But I am happy to report that I just got some soup for lunch, and I am not particularly interested in it. Normally I'm starving for lunch by this point.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnie123 View Post
    Hi all!
    I feel like I can starve myself and workout like crazy, or eat pretty much whatever I want, and there is hardly any difference. It has been very discouraging.
    That's how I feel. Caloric deficit or not, the weight does not really change (other than water weight--my body can carry up to 5 pounds of water weight).

Hey, Lu, which brand of branched aminos do you use? I'd like to keep it in mind. I'm thinking about starting CrossFit. (You guys have convinced me!) I'm either going to start in March or May. March if I don't get into this 10-mile race; May if I do. (It's the stupid Broad Street Run, and it's so popular that they're switching to a stupid lottery system this year.) I have to take a professional exam at the end of Feb. so right now is not a good time to start anything.

Edit: On the SLD front. I've pretty much given up on the walnut oil. I find that it often makes me feel nauseated, and the nausea makes me crave sweet/sour things. The sweet/sour food makes the nausea go away but causes me to consume way more carbs than I'm supposed to. Yesterday, I had a Granny Smith apple and, the day before, a yogurt. And it doesn't suppress my appetite at all. I think I'll give ELOO a shot, but not after I do four days of potato hack next week. At least I know that the potato hack works for me. So sick of not losing.

An interesting/sad tidbit. When I was searching for info on the SLD yesterday, I stumbled across Aaron Swartz's blog. (Aaron Swartz was a young computer genius who was recently persecuted to death by the feds. I was very much saddened by the news of his death. Such a waste of a promising life. The injustice that exists in this world is unfathomable.) Apparently Aaron Swartz tried the SLD in 2006, and he wrote about it. It made him practically stop eating altogether, and at one point he lost 20 pounds in a month! Those entries made me smile, and then I felt even sadder because he is dead.
    Last edited by diene; 02-01-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add additional stuff.