Page 5 of 175 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 5

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks. Interesting! I might try some walnut oil. IDT that has much taste. I can't stand the taste of "good" coconut oil. The only coconut oil I can remotely tolerate is the stuff they sell at Walmart. That's a first for me - to prefer something that is cheaper rather than the most expensive on the market. Ha ha.

Happy New Year and thanks for sharing and for handling so many "how dare you" think outside the box replies with so much grace!
    sg

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    Thanks. Interesting! I might try some walnut oil. IDT that has much taste. I can't stand the taste of "good" coconut oil. The only coconut oil I can remotely tolerate is the stuff they sell at Walmart. That's a first for me - to prefer something that is cheaper rather than the most expensive on the market. Ha ha.

Happy New Year and thanks for sharing and for handling so many "how dare you" think outside the box replies with so much grace!
    sg
    Refined coconut oil has no taste. Its usually solid at room temp so just take a spoonful and wash it down with some water.

spicegirl is offline Senior Member

Happy New Year. And, btw, nice job at handling so many "how dare you" think outside the box replies with so much grace!
    sg

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The walnut oil I have is very nutty. Definitely has a taste.

What about doing this with grass-fed beef tallow? I have been reading a lot lately about Omega 6 and Omega 3 and I really think I need more Omega 3. There's quite a bit of research out there showing how vegetable oils are probably the root of many of our obesity/diabetes/heart disease problems.

I bought some grass-fed tallow the other day to try to increase my input of O3. I think I've been getting too much O6 lately. My feet hurt again like they did before I found this way of eating. I suppose I could take it as a supplement. It's hard so I could just cut off a chunk and swallow whole like a big horse pill. No taste at all.

The biggest difficulty I have is just eating less. I'm a very hungry person. Always have been.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    May as well just do a BP coffee right?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i think this is something that could work well with my pcos issues, i don't mind eating unrefined coconut oil off a spoon

my body is so out of whack, who knows if it will do anything

but ima try it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    He advocates using "light olive oil" in this diet to which I have but one complaint...

"Light" olive oil is the type that is most often adulterated with shit like soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, ect. No flavor in "light" olive oil? Then you'll never know it's been messed with.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    May as well just do a BP coffee right?
    To some, that tastes good. I think the whole point of it is to purposely be flavorless. Get calories in which will blunt your hunger later when you go for a meal but doesn't trigger the reward reaction in your brain because it has no discernible taste.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I counted calories the first week I was doing SLD, just to see where I ended up. When I plugged each day into myfitnesspal, the result was almost always 1000-1100 calories, even eating at a wide variety; this seemed to be my new satiety point. I ONLY counted food, not the extra calories from coconut oil. My tablespoons are pretty rounded (I just grab a hunk out of the jar), so I was estimating an extra 300 calories per day of coconut oil, which brings my actual daily totals up to 1300-1400 cals per day.
    THat's interesting. I find that when diets increase in fat a bit (this is just a general observation) the overall calories decrease. It was interesting to see myself drop from 2000-2200 before primal, to 16-1800 on primal, and now 15-1700 on the IF. So, to an extent, I'm not at all surprised if you would be right around there considering where your restriction was last (12-1500 calories which you mentioned somewhere!).

I'm sure that's true for some people, but I absolutely don't think it's the case for me. I've spent years playing around with macros and caloric amounts. I could restrict to 1100 cal/day (miserably, I might add), or I could eat 2500 cal/day; nothing changed my setpoint.

I also don't think it's specifically the fat that's doing it. Dr. Roberts did it with sugar water and got the same results. Other people have experimented with just eating a meal a day with their nose clipped to block out flavor, and also had success. It's something to do with extra energy that is not associated with flavor (and therefore reward) in the brain. Like I've said, I don't exactly understand the mechanism behind it, and I'd recommend that you read the book if you're curious.
    It's nigh-on impossible to find most of thse books here, but I'm going to look at the blogs when I have a bit more time to do so. Sounds like an interesting mechanism, anyway.

My exact movement practice is:
    MWF: Crossfit
    T/Th: Lifting class (Crossfit-affiliated, and we do some metcons, but it's mostly heavy lifting)
    2-3 times a week, whenever I have the time to go: Hot vinyasa
    Daily, in my home: 45-60min yoga practice
    Daily, outside: Walking my dogs 30 min twice a day
    A few times a month when I get the hankering: 10x10sec sprints in the park

Looking at that, it seems like a lot, but I'm a yoga teacher and live my life in gyms and studios, so it's just my lifestyle.
    Nah, I'm the same. Dh and I were chatting about the "greasing the groove" process -- wherein it's not too much volume to do volume, particularly of body weight. Yoga does that well. I do 45-60 mins per day vinyasa, though I rarely take classes simply due to time, and i'm now doing some body-weight stuff daily (perhaps 6 days?) which is designed to help rehab some specific things in my shoulder that my yoga work isn't getting to that easily, and that's doing the same sort of thing. I'll try to find an article about it, but it works similarly to crossfit (in a way).

Then there's also the regular life-walking that I do (probably about an hour a day), and then the play swimming that I do 2-4 days a week with my son -- I often do water sprints in there because it's a fun game (all three of us "race" each other, and it gets the boy really swimming), and this year, I'm adding in some skating (roller derby) at least once a week. Psyched about that.

So, that's fun stuff. It doesn't have to be PB to work, you know?
    Last edited by zoebird; 01-01-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i think this is something that could work well with my pcos issues, i don't mind eating unrefined coconut oil off a spoon

my body is so out of whack, who knows if it will do anything

but ima try it
    I do this because I need the extra calories. Quite tasty, in fact, but I love coconuts.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 5 of 175 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast