Page 49 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 49

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Aren't you guys able to just close your nose holes at the back of your throat and
    then breathe through your mouth between sips?

That's what I do (not saying I'm a star or anything, just saying) and it works great!

It's like when you go into a stinky bathroom and you just breath through your mouth to
    get through it.....

Anyway, I've been doing that, then being a total mouth breather for like 5 minutes afterwards
    if I use an oil with flavor.

Just tried olive oil yesterday and not only was it kinda peppery (weird) but lots of flavor, so I
    had to mouth breath for a good 7 minutes after till I washed it all away.

Refined CO is the best, but I just wanted to switch it up.

Julie

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    So the last time I had one of these ridiculously high calorie days was two Saturdays ago (1/19). Here's what I ate according to my food log.

1 avocado
    1 TBSP cocounut oil
    1 TBSP walnut oil
    1 sweet potato (11 oz)
    2 eggs
    1 red potato (10 oz)
    2 white potatos (10.25 oz total)
    2 oz white rice
    1 oz soft goat cheese
    2 squares of Lindt 85% cacao
    1.75 oz pepper jack
    2 bananas
    1 orange

All of the above was consumed BEFORE dinner---2,030 calories total. It was definitely a binge day. I ate all those potatoes because some other people on the potato hack threads said that they eat potatoes during the day on their high calorie days, and that helps prevent their high calorie days from going out of control. So I attempted to do that as well but failed (obviously). (The potato hack works for me, but I think it really only works if you eat nothing but potatoes.)

After eating 2,030 calories during the day, I went out to dinner (sushi) with my bf and shared a bottle of red wine. The dinner plus the wine was approximately 1,500 calories. This was an estimate because I haven't been able to bring myself to pull out my scale to weigh everything while eating at a restaurant even though I did buy a pocket scale that I carry around in my purse (it was less than $10 on Amazon, and I use it at work). I was definitely not even hungry for dinner, but I'm the type of person who can and will eat even if I'm not hungry, which is part of my problem.

I eat very low carb (less than 30 g) on weekdays, but I carb up on the weekends in preparation for H.I.I.T. Monday morning. I go way overboard sometimes though. I think carbs (even so-called "safe" carbs) cause me to binge.
    Well, when I read it all written out like that I totally could eat that much too. Especially when doing mostly very low cal days and then having a high day to stimulate leptin. I found it interesting that you and I are in the same weight range and both have strong appetites making it hard to maintain the deficit required for loss. As of this moment I'm 134, my current range is 132-135 and I'm trying to get back to my old set point of 127 ish. It is odd though that since I have gained muscle in the last few years, I think that at 132 I'm the same bodyfat as I used to be at 127. When I was 127 (for the majority of my adult life) I was always trying to lost 5 pounds and never could. When I gained weight (some muscle some fat) and tried losing it, I have always bounced off of 132 and never been able to break or maintain it. This is basically the same bodyfat set point that I have always had, I just have a bit more muscle now.

I'm not overweight but I'd sure like to get rid of this extra layer. I'm feeling like it is just not my destiny yet find it frustrating that so many people start out with tons to lose and then end up with lower body fat than I have simply by eating primally. SO annoying. A few years back I did the bod pod fat testing, I was 24%. I think I'm still close to that. Would like it to be down to 20%. Mostly I'll know it when I see it. No need to be ripped, just want to lack the excess. I like a soft womanly shape still.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Aren't you guys able to just close your nose holes at the back of your throat and

That's what I do (not saying I'm a star or anything, just saying) and it works great!

It's like when you go into a stinky bathroom and you just breath through your mouth to
    get through it.....

Anyway, I've been doing that, then being a total mouth breather for like 5 minutes afterwards
    if I use an oil with flavor.

Just tried olive oil yesterday and not only was it kinda peppery (weird) but lots of flavor, so I
    had to mouth breath for a good 7 minutes after till I washed it all away.

Refined CO is the best, but I just wanted to switch it up.

Julie
    You are a star. The end. :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

meadowlark is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I've been following this thread with great interest, so started 2 days ago with the co and noticed some results. A friend gave me the book based on sld and my question to those who have read it is
    Do you think the weight loss is due to a balance of carbs to fat ratio? iow would it be best to have the fructose water if on a high fat/protein intake day and have the oil for the days consisting of more carbs?
    Curious if this is a factor or no...haven't read the forum for sangra la but wonder if this has ever come up?
    Have barely read any of the book yet so will maybe have the answer sooner than later

meadowlark is offline Junior Member
    Came across the answer but it was the opposite of what I had thought
    People who are on a low-carb diet will prefer oil, people who are on a low-fat diet will prefer sugar water
    I find it interesting that the author prefers oils when at home but will have the sugar water when out. 4 pkgs sugar = 1 Tbs in any size water. I tried honey and seems to have the same effect..

Well, I'm on about Day 12 of this and unfortunately have not experienced any weight loss. I'm still hanging around 155lbs. I've noticed a 1/2" loss on my waist but that's about it. I am committed to carrying on for another week or two of this as I don't mind the protocol at all.

One variable which I discontinued as of yesterday is starchy potato in my diet. I'm eliminating the potatoes which Otzi (thank you, Otzi) recommended but it just doesn't seem to be working for me (n=1). While I experienced weight loss in the past, it was always without potatos (except for when I did the potato project for one week). So, I'm guessing that starchy potatoes is the factor that is preventing weight loss. I will now drop the potatoes and continue with the oil 2 x per day and we'll see what happens.

I should also note that the oil completely curbs any desire for snacks and inhibits my desire for alcohol (win/win)....but would be nice to realize some weight loss.

Cheers, everyone: /Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 01-29-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: lc
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowlark View Post
    Came across the answer but it was the opposite of what I had thought

I find it interesting that the author prefers oils when at home but will have the sugar water when out. 4 pkgs sugar = 1 Tbs in any size water. I tried honey and seems to have the same effect..
    For anyone on the sugar water protocol --- be mindful of the damage that sipping sugar water will do to your oral health care. That's a recipe for caries and you don't want to end up with dental bills from this trial. Best/Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"

Zena is offline Junior Member
    I am day 12 of this protocol and I just want to say THANKS!!
    I cannot believe what this has done for me!
    I have stopped all night bingeing
    I am full on less food
    I don't worry, stress or think of food that much
    and the really great part? I am down 9.1 pounds and it seemed effortless.

couple of things:
    Coconut oil made me hungry! so I use eloo( I know but it works)
    I dont pinch my nose but do try and breathe mainly through mouth (i get a little taste)
    I only do one Tablespoon of oil per day at the same time everyday (1:00 PM)
    and my eating window is 3-6.
    I eat a good amount during that window and I am satisfied for the evening.
    I fast from that meal until the next day effortlessly because it just happened that way naturally!
    This is IT~

Again THANKS~

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Holly Frick'in Hannah --- how much salad are you eating that nets 4,000 calories -- that's a lot of iceberg lettuce, tomato and onions! Geeeezzzzzzz........ I'd be sick and lying in a ditch if I consumed that much. What the frick are you eating?
    Yeah, not eating salad. I'm pretty sure that even I can't eat 4000 calories worth of salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Girl --- reign it in! Holy Hannah ---- unless you are crossfitting 3 x per DAY, you should no be eating those potatoes --- and a banana on top of it all? Are you bored or what?
    Yup, it was a mistake. That's what a binge day is. You start eating, and then it just goes out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post

get through it.....
    Haha! I think I just figured it out yesterday. What a relief to not have to pinch my nose while sitting at my desk at work.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    It is odd though that since I have gained muscle in the last few years, I think that at 132 I'm the same bodyfat as I used to be at 127. When I was 127 (for the majority of my adult life) I was always trying to lost 5 pounds and never could. When I gained weight (some muscle some fat) and tried losing it, I have always bounced off of 132 and never been able to break or maintain it. This is basically the same bodyfat set point that I have always had, I just have a bit more muscle now.
    I think some of my weight gain could be attributed to muscle gain. My extra 5 pounds actually showed up right around when I got off the pill and got a copper IUD (Paragard) in late August/early September. I did gain more muscle after getting off the pill--it's especially noticeable on my arms (I've read that the synthetic estrogen in the pill makes it harder to build muscle), but I doubt that it was 5 pounds more. I was 125 for a long time, and that's where I'd like to be. (Although, like you, when I was 125 I kept wanting to lose 5 pounds and never could.)

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm not overweight but I'd sure like to get rid of this extra layer. I'm feeling like it is just not my destiny yet find it frustrating that so many people start out with tons to lose and then end up with lower body fat than I have simply by eating primally. SO annoying.
    That is exactly how I feel, especially when I read those Friday success stories. It is soooo unfair!

purple579 is offline Member
    Way to go, Zena!

Tried coconut oil for a couple weeks-didn't see any noticeable change. Am going to try eloo for the next two weeks to experiment. Might take eloo at one point in the day and a little CO oil at another point just because I really liked the deep sleeps and health benefits.