Page 48 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 48

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    When I used to chew my coconut oil with my nose plugged, my ears would pop. I would definitely not want to chew a whole meal with my nose plugged.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Oh, now I know I'm a pig. I'm usually pretty good on weekdays, averaging maybe 1300-1400 calories a day, including the oil. But I have a hard time controlling how much I eat on weekends. And on a really bad weekend day, I could eat between 3500 and 4000 calories! You guys talk about 1800-2000 being a high calorie day. Man! 2000 is what I aim for on weekends. I almost always go over though.

I've stopped drinking alcohol on weekdays some time ago, but I still drink on weekends. The drinking is a big part of my problem. Not only does alcohol have a lot a calories, it also increases my appetite and decreases my self-control. But not drinking at all is pretty much impossible for me since most of my social life involves going out and drinking. I don't have the self-control to not drink when I'm at a bar/restaurant where everyone else is drinking. I guess that's why I'm having such a hard time losing weight.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Oh, now I know I'm a pig. I'm usually pretty good on weekdays, averaging maybe 1300-1400 calories a day, including the oil. But I have a hard time controlling how much I eat on weekends. And on a really bad weekend day, I could eat between 3500 and 4000 calories! You guys talk about 1800-2000 being a high calorie day. Man! 2000 is what I aim for on weekends. I almost always go over though.

I've stopped drinking alcohol on weekdays some time ago, but I still drink on weekends. The drinking is a big part of my problem. Not only does alcohol have a lot a calories, it also increases my appetite and decreases my self-control. But not drinking at all is pretty much impossible for me since most of my social life involves going out and drinking. I don't have the self-control to not drink when I'm at a bar/restaurant where everyone else is drinking. I guess that's why I'm having such a hard time losing weight.
    Just curious, what are you eating besides the alcohol that is getting you up to that caloric level? Are you going off of primal foods? I know for myself I would have to eat more mainstream foods to be able to eat that much. If I wasn't always trying to lose a few pounds I could easily eat 2500 a day of paleo foods. I've never been one to find anything too rich, so I really like to slather on the butter. If I wasn't worried about health or calories I could probably eat 1/2 a cheesecake at one sitting, I just don't find fat satiating!

So the last time I had one of these ridiculously high calorie days was two Saturdays ago (1/19). Here's what I ate according to my food log.

1 avocado
    1 TBSP cocounut oil
    1 TBSP walnut oil
    1 sweet potato (11 oz)
    2 eggs
    1 red potato (10 oz)
    2 white potatos (10.25 oz total)
    2 oz white rice
    1 oz soft goat cheese
    2 squares of Lindt 85% cacao
    1.75 oz pepper jack
    2 bananas
    1 orange

All of the above was consumed BEFORE dinner---2,030 calories total. It was definitely a binge day. I ate all those potatoes because some other people on the potato hack threads said that they eat potatoes during the day on their high calorie days, and that helps prevent their high calorie days from going out of control. So I attempted to do that as well but failed (obviously). (The potato hack works for me, but I think it really only works if you eat nothing but potatoes.)

After eating 2,030 calories during the day, I went out to dinner (sushi) with my bf and shared a bottle of red wine. The dinner plus the wine was approximately 1,500 calories. This was an estimate because I haven't been able to bring myself to pull out my scale to weigh everything while eating at a restaurant even though I did buy a pocket scale that I carry around in my purse (it was less than $10 on Amazon, and I use it at work). I was definitely not even hungry for dinner, but I'm the type of person who can and will eat even if I'm not hungry, which is part of my problem.

I eat very low carb (less than 30 g) on weekdays, but I carb up on the weekends in preparation for H.I.I.T. Monday morning. I go way overboard sometimes though. I think carbs (even so-called "safe" carbs) cause me to binge.

I think if you're eating at that caloric level and not gaining weight, more power to you and lordy, I wish I were you!

That only happens a couple of times a month on weekends. But that's also why I believe in the setpoint theory. My body definitely has a setpoint weight and definitely defends it such that it will stay at that weight (plus or minus 2 lbs, usually) even if I overeat or undereat. But every once in a while the setpoint will change for no discernible reason. If it goes down, then yay, but it has gone up recently. It went up by 5 lbs a few months ago (from 130 to 135, plus or minus 2 lbs), and I have not been able to get it back down.

That describes my past five years to a T. An unbreakable setpoint that kept slowly creeping upward.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member

Holly Frick'in Hannah --- how much salad are you eating that nets 4,000 calories -- that's a lot of iceberg lettuce, tomato and onions! Geeeezzzzzzz........ I'd be sick and lying in a ditch if I consumed that much. What the frick are you eating?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

So the last time I had one of these ridiculously high calorie days was two Saturdays ago (1/19). Here's what I ate according to my food log.

1 avocado
    1 TBSP cocounut oil
    1 TBSP walnut oil
    1 sweet potato (11 oz)
    2 eggs
    1 red potato (10 oz)
    2 white potatos (10.25 oz total)
    2 oz white rice
    1 oz soft goat cheese
    2 squares of Lindt 85% cacao
    1.75 oz pepper jack
    2 bananas
    1 orange

All of the above was consumed BEFORE dinner---2,030 calories total. It was definitely a binge day. I ate all those potatoes because some other people on the potato hack threads said that they eat potatoes during the day on their high calorie days, and that helps prevent their high calorie days from going out of control. So I attempted to do that as well but failed (obviously). (The potato hack works for me, but I think it really only works if you eat nothing but potatoes.)

After eating 2,030 calories during the day, I went out to dinner (sushi) with my bf and shared a bottle of red wine. The dinner plus the wine was approximately 1,500 calories. This was an estimate because I haven't been able to bring myself to pull out my scale to weigh everything while eating at a restaurant even though I did buy a pocket scale that I carry around in my purse (it was less than $10 on Amazon, and I use it at work). I was definitely not even hungry for dinner, but I'm the type of person who can and will eat even if I'm not hungry, which is part of my problem.

I eat very low carb (less than 30 g) on weekdays, but I carb up on the weekends in preparation for H.I.I.T. Monday morning. I go way overboard sometimes though. I think carbs (even so-called "safe" carbs) cause me to binge.
    Girl --- reign it in! Holy Hannah ---- unless you are crossfitting 3 x per DAY, you should no be eating those potatoes --- and a banana on top of it all? Are you bored or what?
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    When I used to chew my coconut oil with my nose plugged, my ears would pop. I would definitely not want to chew a whole meal with my nose plugged.
    I'm totally with you. I can't even swallow properly when I plug my nose and throw back a shot glass of coconut oil.
    F, 48, 5'10"