Page 47 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 47

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I think for me, it still requires a constant choice to cut portions and not put junk food in my body. SLD just makes that easier to do. If your habit is junk food, and you don't care to get healthier, lack of smell/taste is probably not going to break the habit.

I honestly believe that breaking out of the SAD prison is all about rewiring your brain to fundamentally change what it considers to be food. I don't eat McDonald's or Oreos because I do not consider them food. A fudge brownie made with natural and organic ingredients in my own kitchen, with 80% extra dark chocolate chips? THAT is food. It may be junk food, but it's food. Whereas a Cheeto is not made of food, it's made of weird chemicals and fillers and stuff I can't pronounce, so it's not food. If your brain considers processed, chemical-ridden junk to be food, and you have no reason or motivation to change your ways, you're going to keep on eating as you always have.

calee is offline Senior Member
    I wanted to share my experiment as its a bit different because I'm not nose plugging or using straight oil. Over the holidays I went from 146-152. I started PB on 1/1/13. I had been away from my own kitchen for three weeks and ate far more carbs in flour and sugar form than I'm used to. I expected to drop those pounds in the first two weeks home when going back to low carb. I was horrified when they didn't. I don't eat any junk food.

Last Monday woke up at 151.6. I had been reading this forum as well as Eat Moar Fat and decided to give it a try. I changed MFP macros to 70/10/20 f/c/p. my six days have actually been 66/16/18. A bit low on protein. My calorie average has been close to 1500 which is higher than my general range of 1200- 1300. I did walk closer to 6 miles a day instead of 3.

I started each day with coffee and half and half and two Tbsp of organic coconut butter. I had another Tbsp mid morning. I am a breakfast eater but pushed that meal closer to 11am, making it brunch of meat and fat. Dinner was a BAS an a touch of protein with a fat dessert of 2T of cream cheese. Friday night I had a cup of organic oven roasted taters with aioli on them. After walking 3 separate 5k's that day, taters were the only thing that sounded god at the food truck event. They were heavenly!

My results are Monday morning 151.6. Sunday morning 147.4. I have never shed this much weight in a week, enjoying potatoes one night and melon another day at a work event. I just ate more fat to adjust my daily macros.

I will continue with the coconut butter. I got a fresh jar at whole foods yesterday. I don't know if I would have better results with nose pinching but I'm happy with today's results! My low weight in 2012 was 142-144. At 5'4, I would like to get into the 130's.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I'm up again. Almost back to where I started. Why won't this body let go???? As soon as I go down I bounce off the bottom and go straight back up. My appetite soars too, which is how the weight goes back on. I'm not eating bad foods and I'm still eating under maintenance when looking at the weekly average.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm up again. Almost back to where I started. Why won't this body let go???? As soon as I go down I bounce off the bottom and go straight back up. My appetite soars too, which is how the weight goes back on. I'm not eating bad foods and I'm still eating under maintenance when looking at the weekly average.
    Hormonal? Do you weigh your food? I'm guilty sometimes of 'guesstimating' on # of ounces of protein etc etc. Would it be helpful for a week or two to be completely anal and weight EVERYTHING on an electronic scale to ensure that you are not over-estimating? What about walking -- are you engaging in long walks? I'll be interested to see what my scale says tomorrow at work --- since I haven't weighed since last Thursday. I don't feel as though I've lost any, but we'll see.

I've been consistently having 2 Tbsp's of oil per day and eating two meals a day. No snacking -- no wine --- no junk -- no nuts. I'm generally pretty good at feeling whether the fat is sliding off or not, and I don't feel it is. But I've made the decision to give this oil thing a good month or so and we'll see what happens.

I also have this theory that our bodies are holding onto some fat in this cold climate (I'm up in Canada). I haven't even been out walking over the past two weeks because it has been very cold (-10 - -24). Once spring weather arrives, I'll be out walking and cycling as I always am.

But darn, the plateaus are frustrating, aren't they?!!@@@!!!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa,

I've been very anal about weighing and logging over many years now. I actually find that when I go back to weighing for a bit, just to check my accuracy I have always logged in more food than I was actually eating. I like to round up so that I'm not accidentally eating more than I mean to.

I have have a few higher calorie days before the weight gain due to ravenous hunger. I suppose I am right around ovulation. My frustration is that if my maintenance is supposed to be around 1800 and my average intake is 1600 I should lose. However that isn't what happens. I gain at 1600, maintain at 1200-1400 and lose (for no longer than 2 weeks) at 1000-1200. The low calories always makes me get so hungry that I will overeat and regain. By overeat I mean that for a few days I might eat in the 1800-2000 calorie range before dropping back down. My weekly average though does not go above 1600 lately and before SLD 1400 would be my average on a high calorie week but I tried to keep it at 1200-1300.

Walking. Yes, that would be good. Unfortunately I just don't have the time that would take, and the icy roads don't tempt me either. I'm a homeschooling mother who cooks three meals a day from scratch. I rely on weights and kettle bell swings for fitness that takes way less time. I know the walking would be very helpful though, you are right about that.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Louisa,

I've been very anal about weighing and logging over many years now. I actually find that when I go back to weighing for a bit, just to check my accuracy I have always logged in more food than I was actually eating. I like to round up so that I'm not accidentally eating more than I mean to.

I have have a few higher calorie days before the weight gain due to ravenous hunger. I suppose I am right around ovulation. My frustration is that if my maintenance is supposed to be around 1800 and my average intake is 1600 I should lose. However that isn't what happens. I gain at 1600, maintain at 1200-1400 and lose (for no longer than 2 weeks) at 1000-1200. The low calories always makes me get so hungry that I will overeat and regain. By overeat I mean that for a few days I might eat in the 1800-2000 calorie range before dropping back down. My weekly average though does not go above 1600 lately and before SLD 1400 would be my average on a high calorie week but I tried to keep it at 1200-1300.

Walking. Yes, that would be good. Unfortunately I just don't have the time that would take, and the icy roads don't tempt me either. I'm a homeschooling mother who cooks three meals a day from scratch. I rely on weights and kettle bell swings for fitness that takes way less time. I know the walking would be very helpful though, you are right about that.
    Well, I hear you on so many levels. Icy roads and losing daylight so early in the day is not conducive to outdoor activities, that's for sure. I've started eating potatoes daily (Otzi's suggestion), which I've been doing --- but I do feel that I'm slightly gaining. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow. If my weight is up or the same, I'm dropping the potatoes and going back to just my low cal/low carb style of eating. On the bright side, I've ditched the wine and continue to eat well-balanced, healthy meals with no wheat and no sugar --- and that's a win/win for our health, isn't it?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Well, I hear you on so many levels. Icy roads and losing daylight so early in the day is not conducive to outdoor activities, that's for sure. I've started eating potatoes daily (Otzi's suggestion), which I've been doing --- but I do feel that I'm slightly gaining. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow. If my weight is up or the same, I'm dropping the potatoes and going back to just my low cal/low carb style of eating. On the bright side, I've ditched the wine and continue to eat well-balanced, healthy meals with no wheat and no sugar --- and that's a win/win for our health, isn't it?
    FWIW I have been following the PHD too and while it is obviously not helping my fat loss goals it has completely ridded me of cravings for sugar and other cheat foods. I binge on healthy food now instead of breaking down and having something I shouldn't.

beckie is offline Member
    Some more success for me. Yesterday I reached my low point of 134.7 (a 7.4lb loss), but I'm back up today to 135.1. I took some quick measurements over the weekend and it looks like I may have lost ~2 inches off of my waist and ~1 inch off of my hips. I can definitely tell that my clothes are fitting looser. I feel like I have a bit more energy which I think is also helping on the exercise front. My calorie intake is fluxuating from ~1000 - 1400 which includes the cals from my oil shots. My intake really depends on how I feel as some days I feel a hungrier than other days and I have been opting to go with how I feel vs forcing a prescribed amount of calories down.

SLD has been the "trick" that I've so desperately needed to push me in the right direction!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes didn't make me gain, but they stalled out my weight loss. I didn't lose for three months, until I cut my carbs, cut those potatoes.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I would fast before I would eat a meal with my nose plugged. That just sounds awful to me.

Clothes are looser. Dinners are smaller. Not a huge change, but enough to give me some encouragement.