Page 43 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 43

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    This is how I feel, too! It's the Omega 6's that I don't want and the coconut oil has too much taste. I am thinking walnut oil would be acceptable, maybe. I just can't wrap my head around adding Omega 6 and the possibility of ingesting an oil that could possibly be rancid. Even if this produces weight loss, how healthy is it? I can't believe when I look at the Seth Roberts forum the amount of people using oils like canola!! Terrible!!!
    Perhaps some refined coconut oil instead of the virgin oil.
    It is almost entirely tasteless.

Walnut oil IME has loads of taste. Very nutty.
    I use it for salad dressing once in a while and have to keep it refrigerated to keep it from going rancid...
    It's a bit of a fragile oil IMO... in that it's prone to going bad quickly kind of like some raw nuts themselves.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I still sort of feel like it's the stupidest thing even though I know for sure it worked for me. I can't wrap my head around it. XD
    Sometimes there just isn't any good science to explain certain effects and you just have go with your gut.

And yes, pun definitely intended.

This is how I feel, too! It's the Omega 6's that I don't want and the coconut oil has too much taste. I am thinking walnut oil would be acceptable, maybe. I just can't wrap my head around adding Omega 6 and the possibility of ingesting an oil that could possibly be rancid. Even if this produces weight loss, how healthy is it? I can't believe when I look at the Seth Roberts forum the amount of people using oils like canola!! Terrible!!!
    Yep, disgusting stuff. If you could get your hands on some good quality macademia nut oil, that might be a good one to use, but it'd get costly quick. However, there's expeller pressed "refined" coconut oil that has almost no flavor that you could also use which could be a great choice as well. It was specifically designed for folks who wanted to use coconut oil but couldn't take the taste.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The best thing is that I can enjoy a lot of fruit now without spiraling into shaky dizzy hunger and don't have to fixate on endless protein to stabilize myself.
    All and all, I think that measured intake of oil and only oil before meals helps blood sugar a huge deal.
    That's great news, Leida. I know you love your fruit and being able to have it without that ensuing spiral is pretty big in itself! I consider that alone strong evidence for the effectiveness of the oil. I hope it continues for you.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Walnut oil IME has loads of taste. Very nutty.
    And a 4:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Some say that's the optimal level for health, but if you can go even lower, I'd still think you could achieve some benefits from that. Also, it's enough omegas to give me pause about keeping it long term because of rancid it's issues.

I agree with you on using it occasionally for salad dressings and sauces being perfectly fine, but I wouldn't go using it as a "nutritional supplement" almost every day.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I have a bottle of NOW macadamia nut oil and it's good stuff. Coconut is my number one, but it's the next best thing. Pretty low PUFA. (more moof than poof)
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried just pinching your nose and then rinsing your mouth so you can use raw coconut oil? I've been doing that and have not been tasting or smelling it at all. It helps a lot to use warm water for the after rinse and then to wipe off my lips with a towel before using my nose again. I don't actually clip my nose but just focus on all my air coming from my mouth for a few minutes. I have messed up a few times when someone tries to talk to me during that first minute, but overall it works fine.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Ya, I think coconut oil is the only safe oil. I just haven't seen any refined in my stores. I'd have to order it. I used unrefined and plugged my nose... worked pretty well. Maybe I will try it again.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I'm using MCT oil, and I've only done this two days so far. Taking it in the evening, after a little more than an hour after dinner.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    If you decide to give coconut oil a shot, expeller pressed refined coconut oil is what you'll want to use. It's completely tasteless. I've taken virgin coconut oil straight before, and I didn't find it to be easy. I have no problem with the refined stuff though.
    Thanks PaleoGirl, I will definitely remember that. I'm very happy with my results after three days down 3.5 pounds. I know some of that is water weight because I slashed carbs to very low. That said, I was still happy stepping on he scale this morning.