Page 42 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 42

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm only losing about .2 lbs. daily, but I'm happy with that since this is so easy and as long as it doesn't stop I'll be at my goal soon enough. The next few pounds will be a true sign of whether this is actually working or if it will be like everything else has been.

I feel like I'm not sure I would ever want to stop this simply because of how wonderful it is to lose all obsession with food. So completely liberating!
    I feel the same way! Even if I never lost weight with this method, I would keep it up because I can easily go for half the day without being hungry or thinking about food, which is SUCH a relief and a change for me.

calee is offline Senior Member
    I started Pb on New Years Day. I could not budge my weight. Monday morning I said screw it and upped my fat to 65- 70% .

I am using organic coconut butter because that's what I have. I can't stomach the thought of coconut oil yet. I open the jar,mthen close it again. First two days, down three pounds. I'm in for the experiment. Will switch to a different fat if this one quits working. I love eating later in the morning.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    I started Pb on New Years Day. I could not budge my weight. Monday morning I said screw it and upped my fat to 65- 70% .

I am using organic coconut butter because that's what I have. I can't stomach the thought of coconut oil yet. I open the jar,mthen close it again. First two days, down three pounds. I'm in for the experiment. Will switch to a different fat if this one quits working. I love eating later in the morning.
    If you decide to give coconut oil a shot, expeller pressed refined coconut oil is what you'll want to use. It's completely tasteless. I've taken virgin coconut oil straight before, and I didn't find it to be easy. I have no problem with the refined stuff though.

meggan is offline Member
    I've started this today. I had no problem taking the coconut oil. After I warmed it up I tossed it back like a shot. Guess I'll eat breakfast at 9:30.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    How many of you are tracking your calories? I'm still finding that I'm eating way more than I used to- 1000-1300 has now become 1400-2000 including the oil. I did gain .2 today, but overall I've been losing everyday while eating more and I continue to feel as if I'm eating less even though it seems I'm not. If I was not tracking on cronometer I would be claiming without a doubt that my food intake has gone way down. This is just the strangest thing!

In the very recent past a week of this kind caloric intake could easily have me up by 3-5 pounds.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    If there weren't so many people saying this works for them, I'd think it was the stupidest thing in the world lol
    I still sort of feel like it's the stupidest thing even though I know for sure it worked for me. I can't wrap my head around it. XD

diene is offline Senior Member
    Why hasn't it worked for me? Why, why, WHYYYY??? How long should I try the coconut oil before switching completely to walnut oil? I don't really want to take walnut oil everyday. Two tablespoons is a lot, and I'm not sure if it's healthy to take 2 tablespoons of walnut oil every single day. Plus, it's kind of gross.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    How many of you are tracking your calories? I'm still finding that I'm eating way more than I used to- 1000-1300 has now become 1400-2000 including the oil. I did gain .2 today, but overall I've been losing everyday while eating more and I continue to feel as if I'm eating less even though it seems I'm not. If I was not tracking on cronometer I would be claiming without a doubt that my food intake has gone way down. This is just the strangest thing!
    Dude. I don't know what to say to this. The whole point of SLD is that the oil makes you less hungry and you eat less, while convincing your brain you've eaten more so that it will let go of fat stores. But the "eating less" part is important. I don't know what it means that you're eating more yet losing. Hm.

For the record, I track calories every day. It's pretty easy at this point because I eat mostly the same things day to day, and MFP has it all stored. I went from eating 1800-2000 food calories per day to 1000-1200 food calories per day (the flavorless oil, which I don't plug in, then brings it up to 1300-1500 total).

Why hasn't it worked for me? Why, why, WHYYYY??? How long should I try the coconut oil before switching completely to walnut oil?
    A quick look at the SLD forum indicates that it just doesn't work for everyone, for whatever reason. It could be that the reason your body is holding on to fat has nothing to do with setpoint, and is a symptom of some other condition going on.

I would say that if the coconut oil hasn't worked for you at all, switch it up now. No reason why not.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, everyone: I've been taking oil now for the past 4 or 5 days -- giving this a try. Here are some of my observations/thoughts/feelings about myself, to date. I am a 48 yr old female, 5'10 & 3/4", currently at 155lbs but prefer to be around 145lbs. I started paleo 6 months ago and lost 11" moved from 161lbs to 145 (now up to 155lbs).

1. I came off a bad flu virus prior to starting the oil protocol, so not sure if my body is behaving 'normally' or not.

2. Since I don't have any challenges with eating, per se, I'm not sure the oil protocol is suitable for me. I do have about 5-7lbs to lose in order to be ideal, but most think I'm pretty ideal right now. I normally eat around 1200 calories a day, max. Ingesting the oil 2 x per day is literally reducing my appetite to nothing, which is likely not a good thing for me. As you can see from my chart, some days are around 1400calories, but other days are around 900 or even less (not really healthy).

3. Since beginning the Oil protocol, I have not exercised (workload and school = no time right now). I hope to do my next crossfit class on Saturday.

4. It's my observation that I have Z-E-R-O cravings for ANY foods, thus you'll notice there's not even a single nut as a snack item. I'm literally not even thinking about food.

5. I've been using Walnut Oil (which I keep at work), but use cold pressed coconut oil when at home. I don't care for the taste of the Walnut oil, but I find the Coconut oil palatable.

6. I tend not to finish any meals I start (again, the appetite suppression is definitely a factor here), and I can certainly see the benefit of this protocol if you have more than 10-20 lbs to lose. With the low calories, my body maybe screaming and trying to hold onto the fat.

7. Observation this morning is that my belly fat (and side handles), seem to feel 'looser' today, which generally precipitates a drop in the near future.

8. If I were doing crossfit this week, I'm sure that I would be eating more, because a class always creates a healthy appetite.

9. I am getting 9 hours of sleep per night, and have very little stress (other than my studies).

10. I am taking Otzi's suggestion of decreasing my fat% and increasing slightly my carbs by eating 1 potato per day, and slightly more on workout days. (No workout days yet.).

For those seeking the bottom line without opening the attachment below: No weight Loss: No Inches lost: No cravings and no snacking -- not even thinking about food. I'll post another follow up in the next 4-5 days and we'll see where things are at. Comments welcomed / Lu
    Paleo Challenge _Oil Shangrala_Chart.doc
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I had to stop doing this. My sense of smell came back with the end of my cold. Now when I open the coconut oil it fills the room with a heavenly scent. I tried plugging my nose and chugging olive oil but wow, I never realized that olive oil is peppery and burns my mouth. I don't think I want to add Omega 6s to my diet with other oils, but I may try again with walnut oil because I have some in the fridge.
    This is how I feel, too! It's the Omega 6's that I don't want and the coconut oil has too much taste. I am thinking walnut oil would be acceptable, maybe. I just can't wrap my head around adding Omega 6 and the possibility of ingesting an oil that could possibly be rancid. Even if this produces weight loss, how healthy is it? I can't believe when I look at the Seth Roberts forum the amount of people using oils like canola!! Terrible!!!