Page 41 of 175 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 41

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I had to stop doing this. My sense of smell came back with the end of my cold. Now when I open the coconut oil it fills the room with a heavenly scent. I tried plugging my nose and chugging olive oil but wow, I never realized that olive oil is peppery and burns my mouth. I don't think I want to add Omega 6s to my diet with other oils, but I may try again with walnut oil because I have some in the fridge.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

meggan is offline Member
    I think this is really interesting. I try to add coconut oil to coffee and tea b/c I'm finding it much harder than I thought it would be to get enough fat in my diet. And sometimes I'll down a tablespoon, especially at night when I review what I've had to eat that day. But I've never taken it routinely and without recent flavors. So maybe it's worth a shot.

Does anyone think that maybe part of the reason it's working as an appetite suppressant is possibly a placebo affect? Kind of like, "My weight loss has stalled, I'm frustrated. Hey! This tablespoon of oil is going to keep me satisfied and eating less." And then you know, you eat less and lose weight. I don't want to suggest that this is definitely whats happening or that this doesn't have any merit to it, it was just a thought.

Regardless, I need more fat in my diet and coconut oil is good for me so I might make it a point to try this.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I had to stop doing this. My sense of smell came back with the end of my cold. Now when I open the coconut oil it fills the room with a heavenly scent.
    Try using refined coconut oil. It doesn't smell like anything.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    No, it is not a placebo effect, because for a lot of people it does not kick in immediately, but takes a few days/weeks. My guess it works because the flavorless calories make a perfect snack, lower blood sugar and prepare body for a meal/the satiation signal that starts coming from the oil becomes more pronounced when the meal 'lands' in your stomach. The CW long maintained that eating an apple or soup an hour before meal blunts appetite. Well, oil does it better.

Timothy Ferris had an interesting discussion about that it doesn't matter when you eat, but when it hits your blood stream regulating your blood sugar. He did it in relation to training times, but I think the same is true for meals.

Also, it absolutely provides starting and stopping points of each meal.

My appetite is starting to subside, but still far too strong at dinner time for my liking, but I am getting closer to my goal of an apple and a couple tablespoons of almond butter for suppers. I am doing the best with 3 tbsp a day, before every meal, and I think I shall see reduction in meals # next week (to the coveted 2 meals a day) if I don't go stupid on the weekend.

I doubt I am losing weight (more likely I gained a few pounds since I was picking into leftovers from the gingerbread house candy for a few days, but I am still determined to keep the scale out of my life). The best thing is that I can enjoy a lot of fruit now without spiraling into shaky dizzy hunger and don't have to fixate on endless protein to stabilize myself.

All and all, I think that measured intake of oil and only oil before meals helps blood sugar a huge deal.
    Last edited by Leida; 01-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Also, it absolutely provides starting and stopping points of each meal.
    This is a really good point. I don't snack anymore, partly because I'm not hungry, but mostly because it'd mess up the 2-hour window for taking oil. And I have to plan my mealtimes carefully and stick to them. I think these two effects alone, even if I weren't restricting calories, would make me lose at least a little weight.

For me, the best part of SLD has been that I no longer feel like I'm "broken". I went so long doing all the right things and still unable to lose fat, and had just resigned myself to having a broken metabolism and being stuck at 165-170 forever. Now I actually feel like I'm capable of losing weight. It's like suddenly discovering a skill or talent you didn't think you would ever have.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    So, I'm on Da 3 of using oil (I've been using Walnut oil), and not one ounce has changed on the scale. I'll give it another week, and post a full disclosure of food/calories/macros/weight/measurements....but so far....nada. I'm eating less because I"m eating only dinner (and never even thinking about food during the day), but not seeing any physical results yet. Time will tell.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I also want to comment that satiation signal seem to come stronger, as in the sudden feeling of being stuffed. Restoring my fullness signal is a HUGE deal for me, because over the years I went from the state of the constant CW hunger to the state of the constant primal/paleo subdued hunger. It is such a strange feeling to simply feel full, it still freaks me out.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Totally agree, Leida! It may sound like an exaggeration, but I don't EVER remember feeling totally full and satisfied, no matter how much I ate. It's just been totally messed up for me since... geez, I think since I was a young teenager.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Totally agree, Leida! It may sound like an exaggeration, but I don't EVER remember feeling totally full and satisfied, no matter how much I ate. It's just been totally messed up for me since... geez, I think since I was a young teenager.
    I'll third that. I've been on some sort of diet since I was 10, I feel totally broken and have been obsessed with food forever since nothing has even brought me to my goal! Even if this doesn't bring me to my fat loss goal either, it has cured me of my unhealthy mental relationship with food.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I've been basically maintaining scale-wise for the past couple weeks after ramping up workouts, but my clothes are looser, so there's certainly some body recomp/fat loss going on for me right now.