Page 4 of 175 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 4

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Good lord that's a lot of exercise on barely any calories.
    Yeah, I mean, I guess it is, but it doesn't really feel that way. I actually feel like I could do more. I never feel run-down or wrecked from it (well, I do right after I finish a WOD, of course), I always bounce out of bed in the morning, and I continue to see strength/endurance gains. If I ever start to suffer in performance or health/sleep, I'll pull back, but for now this is the right amount for me. I'd do two-a-days if I could afford it/my coaches would let me. I just love it.

i'm not convinced (nor even close), that eating tablespoons of oil is going to somehow blunt your appetite by affecting food reward mechanisms. that barely makes sense as i write it, and i suppose i should look at the author's site before really critiquing.
    I totally agree with you, except... that's exactly what it does. Shrug. Sounds too crazy to be true, but it is.

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi Heatseeker,

So, it sounds as if you are not doing the sugar water, just the oil. Is that correct?

Thanks!
    spicegirl

That's right. The sugar water sounded iffy to me. Blood sugar spikes and all that. I do a tablespoon of coconut oil, twice a day.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    That's right. The sugar water sounded iffy to me. Blood sugar spikes and all that. I do a tablespoon of coconut oil, twice a day.
    Fructose does not spike insulin.

Does he recommend people do both?

I honestly don't know. I never looked into it more because I knew I didn't want to do it.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I honestly don't know. I never looked into it more because I knew I didn't want to do it.
    So basically you are not doing the Shangi-La diet, you are just eating coconut oil between meals. I read up on the SLD, you are supposed to use olive oil and eat less. Seems like a quack diet to me, but at least you made it work for you! Good on ya!

Read FAQs on page 3:
    http://media.sethroberts.net/reviews...mans_World.pdf

So basically you are not doing the Shangi-La diet, you are just eating coconut oil between meals. I read up on the SLD, you are supposed to use olive oil and eat less. Seems like a quack diet to me, but at least you made it work for you! Good on ya!
    No... you're mistaken. You can use anything as the extra flavorless calories, Dr. Roberts just recommends oil or sugar water because they're quick to ingest and have a high caloric value per volume. He recommends extra light olive oil because it's close to flavorless. You can use any kind of oil, as long as it's flavorless or you make it flavorless by holding your nose while ingesting it.

And I am eating less. That's the whole point. Read back over this thread in closer detail before telling me I'm "just eating coconut oil between meals".

Obviously it seems like a quack diet. Yet it works. That's the crux of our discussion here.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    If the main effect is simply to eat less calories, I've had the same effect lately eating breakfasts of protein and fat. Eating a few rashers or sausages (gluten and filler free), or pork chop or salmon fillet fills me up for the morning and makes eating well much easier as it shuts down cravings for chocolate and crap for the rest of the day like nothing else. Lunch is always a large salad with some protein and dressed in olive oil. Dinner is a small portion of real food.

I see the reason for the likes of J Stanton saying that you shouldn't eat breakfast if you're not hungry as your fat stores will provide you with the energy you need. But for me, breakfast has made the process much easier and I see the effect as the same as in the Shangri-La diet.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Zach is offline Banned
    Well Ray Peat has recommend 2-3 tbs a day for weight loss. Coconut oil (MCT) has been shown to taise metabolism plus its very healthy in general so its a good option.

Coconut Oil

As I posted before, I saw no results just restricting calories. There's something about ingesting the flavorless calories that encourages the body to lower its setpoint. It's not just about eating less.

Page 4 of 175 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast