Page 39 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 39

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm on Day 4 but only took oil on Day 1 of 3. On the evening of Day 1, I came down with the flu --- so I haven't eaten ANYTHING except a bit of bone broth for 2-1/2 days. This will skew weight loss results, as well. I hope to be back to eating tomorrow and I'll weight and measure myself. Should be back to taking oil by Tues or Wed. Right now I'm sleeping a lot which is likely a good thing. Cheers, everyone/Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 01-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    This has been very interesting! I went down another .6 lbs. today after eating 2100 calories yesterday. That would normally have resulted in a gain of at least a pound (don't tell me that would have been water either because it doesn't come back off like water). I'm still in a somewhat normal range, but quickly approaching the 132.8 that seems to be my new weight for reaching for a day and then bouncing off and gaining again (even without upping calories).

So what is happening here with the SLD? I feel calm and neutral to food. I FEEL like I have a lower appetite and stop earlier (yet my food log from before the SLD and now during show the opposite). Coconut oil is pretty new for me. I didn't use to use it because it made me feel tired, now it has been brought to my attention that my reaction could be a candida die-off (and it is lessening each day) so I'm using the CO with my nose plugged (2.5 T. over 2 doses) and CLO before bed. Perhaps the CO is revving up my metabolism? The last few days are a fluke and tomorrow I'll have gained several pounds? I'll be very curious to keep this up. It all seems so contradictory.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Get well soon, Lu.. Big hug.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Lu - take care
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Heh. I haven't been on the forums here consistently in ages, and then I blunder across this thread. I coincidentally started trying this as a gesture of support for a desperate friend of mine doing the same thing.

I figured, I've been trying to convince my friend to eat higher fat/more paleo anyway, so it won't kill me... Even though the whole concept is ludicrous and it's probably just placebo effect and giving people a Dumbo feather excuse to not snack constantly or something....

Well, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that this has worked for me. 10 lbs down.

I'm also being very lazy and not exercising at all other than a few walks a week and not even eating super clean paleo, so I'm baffled to come up with any other explanation for the reduced appetite.

Used refined olive oil with a water chaser as "breakfast" and sometimes also in the afternoon.

I ran out of the oil (I also use it to shave, for my hair, for my skin, and then ran out of EVOO for my salad) and therefore stopped, then weight plateaued again.

Not sure if I actually do want to try this again. It's weeeeeird. Also kinda gaggy, but I am very texture sensitive. I don't really have much of a sense of smell so maybe that works to my advantage. (although then shouldn't that be working to my advantage all the time, by the usual claims?)

I dunno. Tough to argue with results though! I can't imagine it would hurt anybody if they were eating a nice paleo diet the rest of the time. It's only what 150 to 300 calories of oil a day, after all. Not displacing a lot of nutrition.
    Last edited by Jenny; 01-20-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Still not loosing but Hubby is down 4 lbs. It seems to be working for everyone but me. I can't say that I've noticed a significant change in my appetite, I've never been much of a snacker anyway. I've been tracking my calories and it looks like I've been consistently over my calories by about 250 a day which is the amount of oil I'm taking so maybe I should just stop taking it and then I would be at the correct amount of calories in order to loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Still not loosing but Hubby is down 4 lbs. It seems to be working for everyone but me. I can't say that I've noticed a significant change in my appetite, I've never been much of a snacker anyway. I've been tracking my calories and it looks like I've been consistently over my calories by about 250 a day which is the amount of oil I'm taking so maybe I should just stop taking it and then I would be at the correct amount of calories in order to loose.
    What kind of oil are you using? I don't know if nose pinching was factored in, but in the book he has a chart of what oils people use and how successful they are by oil choice. Coconut oil was the worst with I believe 60% having trouble on that oil. He also says that those who took the oil after a meal instead of before reported more success. I'm not currently following that advice but will if weight won't come off.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    What kinds of oil were most successful?

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    What kind of oil are you using? I don't know if nose pinching was factored in, but in the book he has a chart of what oils people use and how successful they are by oil choice. Coconut oil was the worst with I believe 60% having trouble on that oil. He also says that those who took the oil after a meal instead of before reported more success. I'm not currently following that advice but will if weight won't come off.
    I'm using light olive oil, so is Hubby. I've been taking it first thing in the morning and in the evening about 1 hr before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    What kinds of oil were most successful?
    I found the chart:

Percentage of Users Having Trouble
    Walnut - 8%
    Extra Light Olive Oil - 25%
    Grapeseed - 33%
    Canola - 40%
    Coconut - 66%

Good reason to not use the coconut except it it SO much better for us than all the others listed!