Page 36 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 36

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Last night I slept through the night! Completely! I did not even slightly stir for any reason :O why is this pertinent? Because I have not slept through the night in YEARS!!!!!! I woke up giggling and happy and feeling fantastic and no appetite!?! I had my coffee with my new raw goat cream (I love this) and made the pic-nic dinner for our anniversary adventure later tonight and still no hunger! Now I am off to get my workout done and then a shooter of oil and see how this day goes.. I did not weigh today because I figured there would more likely be results after a couple of days. But I am finding this very interesting so far..The rational side of my brain is telling me, "..No way Jose is a shot and a half of oil resulting in these changes thus far..." but the other side is challenging this with, "... Then how can it be explained? Placebo effect? Cool I'll take it "

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I gained a bunch while trying to eat enough to gain muscle too. It was mostly fat gain Please report back on what you learn on Sunday. I would personally be very interested to know how much above her BMR she is eating to gain vs. maintain and did she first lost the fat or did she gain muscle/lose fat at the same time and if so at what caloric level (assuming she started from a less than perfect body like the rest of us).

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    This has been an interesting thread and I'm going to give it a try. I do have a couple questions, so I encourage any feedback/thoughts.

I'm a 48 year old Female who is pretty close to my goal weight. I put on a few pounds while on vacation in St. Lucia. I am currently at 154lbs, and would like to get back to 145lbs. However, I'm not sure that 'weight' is really relevant now because I'm focused on body recomp.

I recently began Crossfit and I lift heavy 2x per week, and plan on moving to 3x per week. Since starting Crossfit, my appetite on lift days has increased substantially.

Prior to crossfit, I was restricting to 1200 calories daily (70F; 20P; 10C). However, my trainer/coach laughs and says that I need to eat substantially more food if I want to gain muscle. So, I increased my intake, and now I'm back up to 154lbs from 145lbs. I've gained an inch on my waist (from 27" to 28"). I'm afraid of eating too much and losing all the ground I've made, but my knowledge base tells me that I need to eat more to gain muscle/body recomp and I should trust in the process and not worry too much about the scale. Hmmmmm, easier said than done.

I want to try this oil consumption because I'm fascinated by it, but I'm also wondering if I will be undermining my efforts of gaining muscle by curbing my calories.

I'd appreciate thoughts on my dilemma. ps. Our crossfit gym has a 2-hour, primal nutrition seminar on Sunday which I'm looking forward to. Also, my crossfit coach is primal and she is strong as an ox, and as tiny as thumbellina. How does that work????

Thanks, everyone/Lu
    Am I going to have to rescue you again????

You did the Potato Diet. You had good results. Here's what I want you to do. Change your macro ratios to 50-20-30 (F-P-C). For the bulk of the 'C', eat potatoes. Doesn't matter how you fix them, just eat them every day. Compared with your present 70-20-10, this will mean eating a bit less fat and a bit more potato.

An even easier way to achieve this, plan on eating 1 or 2 potatoes a day, med size, 1/2 pounders. On days you are working out hard, eat 2 on the other days, eat one. Also eat roughly the same amount of meat )...1 pound on workout days, 1/2 pound on non.

The calories for this type eating will be like this:
    1 pound of meat and 1 pound of potatoes is roughly 1300 calories
    1/2 pound meat and 1/2 pound potatoes is roughly 700 calories.

Keep those two figures firm throughout the week and adjust the other stuff you eat to get your calories and fat where you want it. Does that make sense?

Weight loss won't be like the Potato Diet, but you will see a definite change and feel better working out.

As to the Shangri-La Diet, I, too, am intrigued and plan on giving it a try just for a scientific N=1 experiment in a few weeks.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Paleomom: I will report back on the paleo nutrition seminar for crossfitter's on Sunday. The speaker is a paleo chef. I'm quite interested in trying to understand how to gain muscle, reduce fat and not regress back from a size 8 to a size 12. I'm not going back down that road (I gave all my size 12 clothes away!). I'll either post here, or start a new thread.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the chef will be providing each of us with a nutritional information kit. The seminar kicks off a 4 week 'friendly competition' between the Crossfit Members who wish to participate. Each athlete is being weighed, photographed, measured and will have body % measured with calipers. We are to follow the nutritional plan for the next 4 weeks, where we will again be weighed, measured, photgraphed and have our fat measured. I intend on sticking to the plan for the 4 weeks. The athlete with the greatest results (male & female), will win prizes. Should be fun.

Cheers/Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 01-17-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: /lc
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Otzi: You are killing me! You are so HILARIOUS! Alright, I'm willing to give this a try and see what happens. It's really hard for me to eat more than 1200 calories per day, but I suspect that is because my fat content is so high and I just don't feel hungry EXCEPT on workout days, when I could eat my left leg. I have to really try hard to eat 60-70 grams of protein per day and yet, I know that if I use this equation (LBM x 1gram/protein), I should be eating around 114grams protein per day --- I never even get close to that. I'll try reducing the macros to what you are suggesting and see what happens. Thanks a bunch! If I sadly outgrow my bikinis --- they are going to end up in your mail box ;-o
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

otzi Guest
    Otzi: You are killing me! You are so HILARIOUS! Alright, I'm willing to give this a try and see what happens. It's really hard for me to eat more than 1200 calories per day, but I suspect that is because my fat content is so high and I just don't feel hungry EXCEPT on workout days, when I could eat my left leg. I have to really try hard to eat 60-70 grams of protein per day and yet, I know that if I use this equation (LBM x 1gram/protein), I should be eating around 114grams protein per day --- I never even get close to that. I'll try reducing the macros to what you are suggesting and see what happens. Thanks a bunch! If I sadly outgrow my bikinis --- they are going to end up in your mail box ;-o
    So, a sample workout day would include 1 pound of potatoes and 1 pound of lean chicken breast.

That portion of your food contains just a little over 1000 calories (16F-145P-71C). You'll also be eating other stuff like nuts, butter, cheese, veggies, whatever. So, say you ate 3TBS butter, 1 oz almonds, and 1 oz of cheese, you'd end up being at 1600 calories with a macro breakdown of 40-40-20 (F-P-C).

If you can't eat that much meat, no sweat. Just try to keep the weights of potato to meat equal and cut it in half on non-workout days. It ends up being very intuitive. Your muscles will thank you and you'll see it doesn't lead to weight gain even with the added carbs.

You could even try incorporating the SLD here easily.
    Last edited by otzi; 01-17-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    So, a sample workout day would include 1 pound of potatoes and 1 pound of lean chicken breast.

That portion of your food contains just a little over 1000 calories (16F-145P-71C). You'll also be eating other stuff like nuts, butter, cheese, veggies, whatever. So, say you ate 3TBS butter, 1 oz almonds, and 1 oz of cheese, you'd end up being at 1600 calories with a macro breakdown of 40-40-20 (F-P-C).

If you can't eat that much meat, no sweat. Just try to keep the weights of potato to meat equal and cut it in half on non-workout days. It ends up being very intuitive. Your muscles will thank you and you'll see it doesn't lead to weight gain even with the added carbs.

You could even try incorporating the SLD here easily.
    Good Lord, Otzi: I've never EVER eaten that much in my life....and I notice the omission of red wine -- was that done by design
    F, 48, 5'10"

diene is offline Senior Member
    So, I'm trying this as well. I'm actually on my third day. This will be interesting since I've been taking one or two tablespoons of coconut oil a day on weekdays for two or three months now (without the flavorless window or nose-pinching, of course), and the coconut oil definitely does not affect my appetite. Others on this thread have reported that eating coconut oil normally doesn't reduce their hunger but doing it SLD-style does. So I'm interested in seeing if I'll have the same experience. So far I have not experienced any reduction in appetite, but today is only day 3 (and I think someone else mentioned that it took them 7 days before the appetite-suppressing effect kicked in). We'll see. I've only had 1.5 tablespoons of coconut oil today because I finished the jar that I keep at work. Will buy another jar on my way home tonight.

otzi Guest
    Good Lord, Otzi: I've never EVER eaten that much in my life....and I notice the omission of red wine -- was that done by design
    I think red wine is fine! When you realize the fullness you get from the potatoes without all that many calories overall, you get to enjoy eating that way.

I don't remember if you are a breakfast eater, but I usually skip breakfast, lunch at 11 of 1 big potato with a bit of butter, a 4-6oz serving of meat, and some green veggies. Then nothing til dinner at 6 of another potato, a bigger serving of meat and some more veggies, chocolate, nuts, and maybe a piece of cheese. I have been so happy since eating lots of starch, especially on days I workout. I used to workout on just a few peices of fruit and I'd be sore the next day. Now, I could probably do double the workouts.

As soon as I see my weight has been stable for 3-4 months, I'm going to start doing some olive oil shots mid-morning for a bottle's worth of time and see what happens without changing anything else. I'd start now, but we're off to Hawaii next month and I'm really leaning out at the moment, so doing SLD wouldn't be a good test right now.

One thing I find with eating lots of potatoes every day is my weight is very stable from day to day, I think because all my glycogen stores are always topped off and it doesn't leave much room for those water-weight fluctuations that occur when you are drained of carbs and trying to workout.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Do you all think it would work to suppress your appetite if instead of oil, you ate a plain baked potato instead? They're pretty much flavorless right? I never enjoyed regular potatoes, so they'd probably be hard to overeat.