Page 33 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 33

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    CC I have just had some coconut oil, but I melted it in boiling water - not sure if I should have done that ????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Just got home from a meeting, so nothing all evening. I hadn't achieved an SLD oilshot yet today, so I took one now and will just brush my teeth in an hour and go to bed. I thought about taking coconut oil, but I don't want the energy burst to keep me up all night. I did olive oil instead.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm going to join you all. I read this book about a year and a half ago and tried it for only a few days before getting distracted with other ideas. I'm at a sticking point though and sick of always trying to get rid of this last bit. I know my problem - I just eat too much! It is just hard to function when you're hungry all the time, so I eat and don't lose a thing of course

I'm curious how this will go long-term though. Will my set point go right back up after I stop? The author implies this to be the case which is a bummer. I wonder though if a person (like most of us) is eating a nutrient dense diet that is fully nourishing us would the weight still come back?

I'll be using raw unrefined coconut oil with my nose plugged and sometimes cod-liver oil with nose plugged. I've just finished PHD too and have been eating in those approximate ratios.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone else get fatigue issues from coconut oil instead of energy? I get exhausted when I take any coconut oil.

How about the extra Omega 6 fat intake from consuming light olive oil?

I am considering trying this just for fun, but don't want to mess myself up at all
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Seth Roberts speaking on food and the brain:

"What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo

Interesting stuff! Maybe this will clear up a few of the questions we've been asking...

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking about using walnut oil... high in Omega 3 and it's refined so no taste. What do you think? I have a bottle in my cupboard (would normally use to make mayo). I don't want something high in Omega 6, MCT oil messes me up, and I haven't found any refined coconut oil. I could order it online, though. So, thoughts on walnut oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Seth Roberts speaking on food and the brain:

"What foods make my brain work best?" by Seth Roberts, PhD on Vimeo

Interesting stuff! Maybe this will clear up a few of the questions we've been asking...
    Just watched this... so flaxseed oil is a good one. Good for brain health.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Just watched this... so flaxseed oil is a good one. Good for brain health.
    I'm still wary of flax seed myself, due to its high oxidation rate (lots of PUFAs), extremely high phytoestrogen levels (likely as much or more than soy), and the fact that it contains ALA omega-3s which we convert only about 1% of what we consume to bioavailable omega-3s in our bodies.

But decide for yourself. He certainly did!

To my mind, cod liver oil (especially the fermented stuff) might be really good for omega-3s and brain health (since he says some people had the same benefits from supplementing fish oil as he did with the flaxseed oil). But then, both of these oils have LOTS of flavor and seem to go against his "flavorless" mantra.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-15-2013 at 09:44 PM.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    You can take any calories, in theory, as long as they are taken in a flavourless way. So swimmers nose clips are popular with those using flavourful oils or other non-oil foods. Either flax or cod liver oil would definitely require nose-clipping, and the clips would need to stay on until after some really good mouth rinsing with water or slightly salty water. Or brushing teeth with baking soda to remove oil residue and residual taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'm still wary of flax seed myself, due to its high oxidation rate (lots of PUFAs), extremely high phytoestrogen levels (likely as much or more than soy), and the fact that it contains ALA omega-3s which we convert only about 1% of what we consume to bioavailable omega-3s in our bodies.

But decide for yourself. He certainly did!

To my mind, cod liver oil (especially the fermented stuff) might be really good for omega-3s and brain health (since he says some people had the same benefits from supplementing fish oil as he did with the flaxseed oil). But then, both of these oils have LOTS of flavor and seem to go against his "flavorless" mantra.
    I agree... I am freaked out by most oils and that's why I'm having a hard time deciding which one to use. I think the only one I really feel comfortable with is coconut. I just need to find some that's refined.