Page 30 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 30

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, the slight gain of the past few days went away last night like magic. In her epic thread on the SLD forums, marthat called this a "whoosh". That's a pretty accurate description. It's like I'll gain and maintain for 2-3 days, then suddenly lose two pounds overnight.

Girl talk: I was actually really hungry over the past few days and my eating-to-satiety point went up by about 200-300 calories, bringing my daily intake (including oil) up to 1500-1600 calories. I thought it might just be because crossfit started up again full-time this week and I was exercising twice as much, but then I looked at my My Days app on my phone and realized it was ovulation time. Usually when I ovulate I'm like a bottomless pit. So, it's interesting that I experienced the same hunger spike, just dulled into SLD-levels. Conclusion for other ladies: SLD will not completely vanquish the hormone munchies, and if you suddenly get really hungry for a few days, check where you're at in your cycle before freaking out that the oil isn't working anymore.

I went to a late showing at the movies last night with friends, at the Alamo Drafthouse, where you can order food and drinks at your table while you watch the movie. It's yummy, not very healthy food (although a fair few levels above standard bar fare), and usually I can't resist getting something. Last night? Surrounded on all sides by popcorn, buffalo wings, nachos, burgers, and fried pickles, and I was happy just having a coffee. I love how SLD takes the edge off that "OMG MUST EAT YUMMY NOW" feeling, just enough so you can more easily make good choices.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    pages 57 and 393...
    Thanks, Otzi! Like your idea of starting a PHD thread, too! I did VLC for months this summer... felt great and lost weight but then got to a point where I felt something was missing and turned back to carbs. PHD explains well why we need a minimum amount of carbs and that VLC works short term, but then your body becomes deficient.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Thanks, Otzi! Like your idea of starting a PHD thread, too! I did VLC for months this summer... felt great and lost weight but then got to a point where I felt something was missing and turned back to carbs. PHD explains well why we need a minimum amount of carbs and that VLC works short term, but then your body becomes deficient.
    K I started one, just to get the ball rolling.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    K I started one, just to get the ball rolling.
    Awesome! Now we can keep this one on topic

Just tried shooting melted coconut oil and chasing it with water ... nose plugged and didn't taste it. I have a huge thing of virgin unrefined coconut oil from Costco so I want to use it.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Update for me - now down 3.5 lbs. I was stuck at 123 for a few days, but was a pound and a half lighter this morning. Yesterday I changed up the MCT oil for refined coconut oil, and it felt MUCH more satisfying. I think it has to do with it being a solid when I take it - it takes a little longer than just shooting back some liquid oil. Yesterday I was at a friend's and had taken a little container with my Tbsp. of CO in it and stuck it in the fridge. I enjoyed crunching through it and letting it melt. I could never do this with virgin CO. I think I'll be sticking with refined CO going forward, at least for most of my oil shots.

I started using My Fitness Pal a few days ago. I'm not a fan of counting calories, but (like almost everyone else right now!) I'm reading the PHD book and was curious how my ratios were ending up. So for anyone interested in numbers, here you go:

January 10th:

Total cals - 1253
    Carb - 27%
    Fat - 44%
    Protein - 30%

January 11th
    Total cals - 1302
    Carb - 32%
    Fat - 37%
    Protein - 31%

January 12th
    Total cals - 1429
    Carb - 23.7%
    Fat - 47%
    Protein - 29.3%

MFP has decided that in order to lose 1 lb. a week, I need to eat no more than 1200 calories. Well, I've been eating more than that daily and have still lost 3.5 lbs. in 4 days. I'm not a fan of logging everything I eat, but seeing the breakdowns and totals definitely appeals to my analytical side! I'm also glad to see that I'm w/in the PHD's suggested ranges.

My cravings began to lessen when I started supplementing with 15 grams of L-glutamine daily for my leaky gut. But I've definitely experienced a further reduction in cravings since I began the SLD. Today will be the ultimate test - I'm going to my sister-in-law's baby shower, where there will be all kinds of delicious food, including her infamous cake pops. I'm planning to take some coconut oil just before heading over, and I won't be drinking, so that will definitely help my willpower!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this thread. I'm going to give this Shangri-La Diet a go starting today, to try to break my very long-standing plateau of 120 lbs. Nothing else has had a long-term effect, so I hope this works

For those of you using unflavored oils like refined coconut oil are you still pinching your nose or not? Still seems like there would be some taste if you didn't.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I always pinch my nose, no matter what oil I'm using. I don't want to take the chance that any flavor gets through.

Down another pound this morning! Now at my lowest in five years, with 15.2 pounds lost since I started.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I always pinch my nose, no matter what oil I'm using. I don't want to take the chance that any flavor gets through.

Down another pound this morning! Now at my lowest in five years, with 15.2 pounds lost since I started.
    I was trying to do this with the unrefined coconut oil I already have, but I think I need to get the unrefined. I don't feel as though I can taste it while pinching my nose, but what about the taste receptors in my mouth? Am I overthinking it?

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a champ at eating coconut oil, when it was melted and put on food, it never kept the hunger at bay for long. The bullet-proof coffee worked for a bit. But today, when I ate it by itself, it definitely curbed the hunger. Maybe because it make me queasy?