Page 3 of 175 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 3

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    First, you assert that your calorie restriction is 12-1500 calories per day. Does this include the extra fat that you take twice a day (ostensibly at two "snack times")? Or, is it that amount of calories plus then another 2 tbs (one tbs per go) of fat -- which is 270 calories according to our jar -- for a total of 1500-1700 calories per day?
    I counted calories the first week I was doing SLD, just to see where I ended up. When I plugged each day into myfitnesspal, the result was almost always 1000-1100 calories, even eating at a wide variety; this seemed to be my new satiety point. I ONLY counted food, not the extra calories from coconut oil. My tablespoons are pretty rounded (I just grab a hunk out of the jar), so I was estimating an extra 300 calories per day of coconut oil, which brings my actual daily totals up to 1300-1400 cals per day.

I ask this because sometimes calories are restricted too low for the individual's actual overall use, which can then hormonally slow them down, such that when they add a couple of hundred calories -- particularly from fat -- it tends to do them quite well overall.
    I'm sure that's true for some people, but I absolutely don't think it's the case for me. I've spent years playing around with macros and caloric amounts. I could restrict to 1100 cal/day (miserably, I might add), or I could eat 2500 cal/day; nothing changed my setpoint.

I also don't think it's specifically the fat that's doing it. Dr. Roberts did it with sugar water and got the same results. Other people have experimented with just eating a meal a day with their nose clipped to block out flavor, and also had success. It's something to do with extra energy that is not associated with flavor (and therefore reward) in the brain. Like I've said, I don't exactly understand the mechanism behind it, and I'd recommend that you read the book if you're curious.

And second, the movement you currently do is 2-3x week heated vinyasa practice (1.5 hrs) plus also daily home practice (45-90 mins?) plus also crossfit -- are you doing this daily or only 3-4x week (you probably answered this in another thread). Are you doing HIIT cardio (sprints) with it as well? I'm mostly just curious.
    My exact movement practice is:
    MWF: Crossfit
    T/Th: Lifting class (Crossfit-affiliated, and we do some metcons, but it's mostly heavy lifting)
    2-3 times a week, whenever I have the time to go: Hot vinyasa
    Daily, in my home: 45-60min yoga practice
    Daily, outside: Walking my dogs 30 min twice a day
    A few times a month when I get the hankering: 10x10sec sprints in the park

Looking at that, it seems like a lot, but I'm a yoga teacher and live my life in gyms and studios, so it's just my lifestyle.

Are you still doing an IF protocol, or did you just let that go and go back to a wider (normal) eating window?
    I did IF on and off for years, always with a "Well, maybe it'll work THIS time" mentality, and it just never did anything for me. I suppose you could say I IF because most days a week I don't eat breakfast. But I don't make a point to do it or plan it or anything.

Taking the oil in between meals is really astonishingly easy and not complicated. You just have to remember not to consume flavor an hour before and an hour after. I've heard of people taking their oil right before bed and it works just as well. I find that when I do this, I'm really hungry upon waking, so I like to do mine throughout the day.

marthat, thanks for the link to your journal! Reading now.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I tried this a few years ago and it didn't work for me - mind you, neither does anything else, so I can't blame the method necessarily. Lots of people on his forum did have success though. Worth a try if you are ticking all the boxes and the weight is not coming off, and it's not that difficult to do.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I thought I read that you have to do this forever? Is that true? This is a great method if it resets your weight point but not as great if it's just a daily trick for the brain.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    My exact movement practice is:
    MWF: Crossfit
    T/Th: Lifting class (Crossfit-affiliated, and we do some metcons, but it's mostly heavy lifting)
    2-3 times a week, whenever I have the time to go: Hot vinyasa
    Daily, in my home: 45-60min yoga practice
    Daily, outside: Walking my dogs 30 min twice a day
    A few times a month when I get the hankering: 10x10sec sprints in the park
    Good lord that's a lot of exercise on barely any calories. I tried just lifting weights 3x a week and nearly killed myself from it. Took me more than a week of sleeping 12 hours a night and sitting in the sun during the day to even start to feel normal again. And I eat way more than 1100 calories a day. I guess I will always be fat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

I thought I read that you have to do this forever? Is that true? This is a great method if it resets your weight point but not as great if it's just a daily trick for the brain.
    Actually, that's one thing I do wonder about. If I stop, will my setpoint climb back up? Time will tell. When I get where I want to be, I'll stop doing the oil and just see what happens, I guess.

Gotta say, it's pretty effortless and actually saves me a lot of money on food, so I don't think I'd altogether mind doing it forever.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    The concept of consuming extra healthy fats for overall nutritional benefit is good enough reason alone for many to consider staying on SLD for a long time. Folks on SAD diet comment on improved skin, hair, sleep, mood - lots of the benefits that we already are aware of as Primal eaters.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Intersting idea, most truly primal fats arn't flavourless but yummy, like coconut oil and butter, and I personally wouldn't go down the insulin spiking route of fructose in water, to much evidence to suggest that increased insulin is bad in so many ways.
    time to brush up on insulin and fructose...

to the OP - fwiw, i think food reward is a very real concept, and a good thing to understand. i'm not convinced (nor even close), that eating tablespoons of oil is going to somehow blunt your appetite by affecting food reward mechanisms. that barely makes sense as i write it, and i suppose i should look at the author's site before really critiquing.

anyway, the best diet is the one you can stick with, so if it works for you, do it.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Can you give us a brief rundown on what kind of foods and how much you eat?
    Here is a lecture he gave on self-experimentation. Interesting ideas; the flavorless calories come in
    about 2/3 the way through--nestled between standing on one foot for exercise and eating pork fat
    to help you sleep:
    YouTube
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Even the most flavorful oils and butters may be yummy, but largely flavorless on its own. For the caloric intake, I'd rather have the equivalent of chocolate instead. I will eat my tablespoon of coconut oil a day for health, and although it's quite good, it doesn't give me the satisfaction that something delicious does. I like to enjoy my food and I have no problem with satiety.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 3 of 175 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast