Page 28 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 28

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Ashley, I stayed under 30 g total, under 25 g net carbs for a month, limiting protein under 100 g for the full measure, and felt under water for the entire period, not to mention missed vegetables and fruit. Ketosis is just not the way to live for everyone.
    Makes you wonder if some people's fat metabolisms could be impaired in some way, like some have impaired sugar metabolism? Or perhaps toxins in stored fat keeping the body from burning it.. so it drops its energy expenditures? Perhaps other nutrition missing? Electrolytes? Like with my sister, lower carb made her feel crappy.. she finally started eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every morning and lost two pounds! Although in her case, she never really went super low carb for two weeks+ either.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    The electrolytes definitely in my case. It was at a much later time, that I learned to drink sea salt and lemon juice in my morning water. And other times that I might feel low energy. But I didnt learn that until months later. But I think had I done something similar like your sister, a carb refeed of sorts, and then got back to it, that might have made all the difference.

I should add again, that the low calories of potatoes, does not give me the same effect. I can lose weight with low calorie tators. But again, that could be because I added carbs back in again. I think I just needed more carbs is all.

I can lose weight w/o food. I was fasting alot during that time. Or eating once a day. So when I would fast, I could lose. But when I would eat again, it would come back. Even though it was HF/LC

So anyways........ Sorry for the derail.
    Last edited by gopintos; 01-11-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Well the potatoes would have a lot of potassium, plus take a lot of salt to get a salty flavor, more than other foods.

I adore potatoes and would almost try the potato diet, but I know my blood sugars would be bad.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 01-11-2013 at 11:24 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I wish I could remember where I read this about CO. It's just one more of those things that I read, I make a mental note and form my idea, and then move on. So I don't remember the source... or the WHY. But basically that is what I read. Maybe it is because it is medium-chained? that it counts for half the calories?
    That is not what I meant at all about the calories not counting. The calories are still 100% calories and they add up just like any calories. It's just that somehow consuming them in this way makes them sort of invisible to your consciousness and your body can take over and assert its role as the master regulator and automatically put a brake on your more-or-less conscious desire to eat more than you need.

The Shangri-La diet doesn't say that it must be done with coconut oil because it has magic calorie properties. No, it says it doesn't matter what kind of oil to use. You can even do it with sugar water and no oil at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Makes you wonder if some people's fat metabolisms could be impaired in some way, like some have impaired sugar metabolism? Or perhaps toxins in stored fat keeping the body from burning it.. so it drops its energy expenditures?
    Who knows. I drunk bone broth and took magnesium and potassium citrates. It helped with nausea and dizziness, but not the persistent fatigue. I figure the way of eating gotta make you feel vibrant, not lethargic
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

NZ primal Gwamma is online now Senior Member
    I am still eating plenty of veges and keeping my carbs way low. I cup of shredded lettuce is 2gm of carbs. I realise that over the other side of the world you may not have access to lettuce right now, but there are other veges that you can have instead. My point is that you can still go low LOW carb, and eat a few cups of veges per day.
    My oil of choice at the moment is MCT oil. It is giving me a slight tummy upset, but not every time. I am only taking 1 tblsp mid morning at this stage, but the scale is moving, and I find that I am not hungry at all.
    I cannot believe how much energy I have eating this way - but it is early days yet !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

beckie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The Shangri-La diet doesn't say that it must be done with coconut oil because it has magic calorie properties. No, it says it doesn't matter what kind of oil to use. You can even do it with sugar water and no oil at all.
    Also interesting to note, I found on the SLD forums many discussions of using something other than oil or sugar water, such as regular food. You just need to do the nose-pinch thing so that you can't taste the flavor. So, I don't think there is anything magical about the oil or sugar water. They are just easy choices since they don't have a flavor to start with.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Indeed, the way I understand it is that it's flavorless calories that do the trick; but that these calories can be pretty much anything, as long as you make them flavorless.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Indeed, the way I understand it is that it's flavorless calories that do the trick; but that these calories can be pretty much anything, as long as you make them flavorless.
    Yal I get that for this purpose. I still just read something specific to CO. I just can't remember what or where Probably just wishful thinking, and I might have totally misunderstood it also. Imagine that
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Yal I get that for this purpose. I still just read something specific to CO. I just can't remember what or where Probably just wishful thinking, and I might have totally misunderstood it also. Imagine that
    Jaminet talks about CO in the PHD in several places and even ties it together with the Shangri-La Diet, of which he is a fan. Look at Shangri-La Diet in the index of PHD, maybe that's where you saw it...