Page 27 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 27

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    How low carb was your low carb? How mch protein? Shouldn't require carb refeeds if you are in ketosis.
    I tried to stay under 50. And protein was anywhere from about 75 - 100 or so. As far as refeeds, I didnt think I needed to because I wasnt exercising. I didnt have the energy to exercise really.

But this is from the curve and I read the first part I guess, and not the last sentence:

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
    Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

So I did this for many months. Once I added fruits and starches and more veggies, I felt tons better. And now my calories are back up to 1300 - 1500, and weight loss is happening again. So I dont want to go back, until this stops working. But I was just thinking the extra CO might be good for me, but I am trying to watch my fat % at the moment. I fast 16/8 usually w/o difficulty now. Sometimes I still have a few 1200 days so then I try to eat on the upper end the next day. Calories are just so weird though. Cuz I can do a low calorie day of tators and usually have a weight loss.

So anyways, I was just curious.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think the whole point of this diet is that the oil calories somehow don't really "count". And they naturally lead you to eat less. So in that way they sort of do "count", but not consciously. In other words, it's a tool to relieve you of the MANUAL and CONSCIOUS management of your caloric intake.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the whole point of this diet is that the oil calories somehow don't really "count".
    I wish I could remember where I read this about CO. It's just one more of those things that I read, I make a mental note and form my idea, and then move on. So I don't remember the source... or the WHY. But basically that is what I read. Maybe it is because it is medium-chained? that it counts for half the calories? I don't know. But that would be awesome, wouldn't it? I always kind of enjoyed it in my coffee. Kind of took the edge off. But when you are watching calories and watching macros, it just all adds up and I made a point to cut out the extra fats like that. Save it for my veggies later in the day.

I know... don't count. But I do. And probably will until I get the weight off. And then spot check now and then after that. I probably won't if my pants dont get tight, just have to see when I get there.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you are tracking the counts, I will just input the oil the way it comes and not half the quantities or anything like that. The idea is to see if scheduling the oil 'shots' in a flavorless window leads to the weight loss as opposite to ingesting it with flavored food.

I have to say that buttered tea never sated me much. If you accept the SLD hypothesis this is because the flavor of tea is associated with 'something' I always eat with tea!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I tried to stay under 50. And protein was anywhere from about 75 - 100 or so. As far as refeeds, I didnt think I needed to because I wasnt exercising. I didnt have the energy to exercise really.

But this is from the curve and I read the first part I guess, and not the last sentence:

0-50 grams/day Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
    Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

So I did this for many months. Once I added fruits and starches and more veggies, I felt tons better. And now my calories are back up to 1300 - 1500, and weight loss is happening again. So I dont want to go back, until this stops working. But I was just thinking the extra CO might be good for me, but I am trying to watch my fat % at the moment. I fast 16/8 usually w/o difficulty now. Sometimes I still have a few 1200 days so then I try to eat on the upper end the next day. Calories are just so weird though. Cuz I can do a low calorie day of tators and usually have a weight loss.

So anyways, I was just curious.

It's possible you were never quite in ketosis. Some have to go lower than 50, like 30. And you "tried" to stay under 50 . The thing about ketosis, as I understand it, is that your body doesn't need as many of those nutrients from veggies and fruits, because of the less stress in the body among other things.

Anyway, I was just curious. For me, I'm going for ketosis for a few months. I'm actually hoping it will help my short term memory, which is crappy for my 27 years!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Ashley, I stayed under 30 g total, under 25 g net carbs for a month, limiting protein under 100 g for the full measure, and felt under water for the entire period, not to mention missed vegetables and fruit. Ketosis is just not the way to live for everyone.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    It's possible you were never quite in ketosis. Some have to go lower than 50, like 30. And you "tried" to stay under 50 . The thing about ketosis, as I understand it, is that your body doesn't need as many of those nutrients from veggies and fruits, because of the less stress in the body among other things.

Anyway, I was just curious. For me, I'm going for ketosis for a few months. I'm actually hoping it will help my short term memory, which is crappy for my 27 years!
    Yal I don't know if I was or not for sure. I just pulled up a few days from end of July, and my carbs are 27, 23, 28, 12...My 12 day was 732 calories for the day. Those other days were 800 and 900 calorie days. And weight loss crawled to a stop during that period of time. Proteins were like 59, 84, 63, 55.

But I know it works for some, and for all kinds of reasons OTHER than weight loss. So I am not knocking it. But for me, my goal is weight loss, and it just wasnt working. I just was going through the motions most days. But I was not hungry at all.

So anyways, I can't even remember now why I posted. I was happily just watching haha. I think I was thinking I could add more CO back in w/o it adversely affecting my total fat count for the day. Hoping I guess.

beckie is offline Member
    gopintos: in response to your earlier post regarding calorie counts --
    I track my calorie intake in MFP. This is what I have recorded so far:
    Mon - 1251 (regular diet)
    Tue - 1306 (regular diet)
    Wed - 1227 (SLD)
    Thur - 1058 (SLD)

Note: calories on SLD include 2 daily Tbs of CO.

I plan to continue this until either (1) I break though my plateau, or (2) I reach my goal.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Any one notice a change in their sleep? DH and I have been taking oil shots for 5 days and we are sleeping like we've been drugged.

Quote Originally Posted by beckie View Post
    gopintos: in response to your earlier post regarding calorie counts --
    I track my calorie intake in MFP. This is what I have recorded so far:
    Mon - 1251 (regular diet)
    Tue - 1306 (regular diet)
    Wed - 1227 (SLD)
    Thur - 1058 (SLD)

Note: calories on SLD include 2 daily Tbs of CO.

I plan to continue this until either (1) I break though my plateau, or (2) I reach my goal.
    Thank you. I think that is where I was trying to go with this. When I increase fat, my calories are naturally lower. And on lower calories, I don't lose weight. But......... my thinking now sort of is, when I do eat, I don't have to restrict myself to lower carb foods. My calories could come from resistant starch and fruits and meat, and get my calories back up where they should be. The CO in the mornings would ensure that I push through my IF & make sure I get my CO in. My meats and eggs have a number of fats already, so I limit my other extra fats including CO. So I probably am not getting my 2TBL now that I am thinking about it, and I know that 2TBL per day is recommended from a number of health gurus.