Page 26 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 26

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There are other brands, but lookey here: Coconut oil softgels Vitacost Coconut Oil -- 4000 mg per serving - 120 Softgels - Vitacost
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    I am actually wondering if its the higher fat that causes the weight loss???? as in - it fills you up, so you are not as hungry, so the weight falls off ???? just wondering ?????
    Nope, at least not in my case. I was already eating a very high fat diet, including supplementing with quite a few tablespoons of coconut oil during the day, and I neither had a blunted appetite or lost weight. It's done great things for my cholesterol and triglycerides, though!

purple579 is offline Member
    I forget where I read this, but in regards to smelling foods during the flavorless window I remember reading that smelling food through the nose didn't matter, it was the flavor receptors in the mouth that were key to stay flavorless because they cause different reactions...Some link way back there says something about it, haha.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    lorichka, are you taking the 2tbsp all at once? That was a big mistake for me the one time I tried it. Try spreading out your doses more.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    There can be a "learning curve" re tolerance to larger quantities of fat without any other substances, but that was generally more common on the SLD forum, where most folks are coming at it from the background of SAD. You would think that in the Primal population, we would be better fat-adjusted already.

Re: smelling food during the FF window. Not a problem. Though you might not want to go immerse yourself in heavy favourite food odours - just setting yourself up for failure, that!

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks heatseeker - I was taking two doses at once because I didn't like having to have 2 2-hr windows. I've been reading the forums for some ideas... I may try kefir or full fat Fage yogurt (1 tbsp) with 1 tbsp of oil (may switch to flax or olive oil for now) and see if that helps. I may also try butter - I can easily eat 2 tbsp of that on rice cakes, so maybe I have a little more tolerance/digestive capacity for that already than 2 tbsp of coconut oil

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My 3rd say in, and I am starting to see - or I hope at least- the first effects. I am running low on CO, so I am doing light tasting olive oil now. My afternoon hunger was more mild yesterday, and I had easier time at supper/after supper. Still using gum after meals to obtain 'closure'. More importantly, I woke up this morning around 4, as usual, brushed my teeth, cooked 3 lunches, 1 breakfast, almost forgot to take my shot of oil around 5 before setting out to the journey to work, and then it occurred to me that I had neither hunger pangs, nor wanted to pilfer any of the foods I was handling, including left over meatzza, grapefruit, coconut milk, cucumbers, baby tomatoes and nuts. It is 7 in the morning and instead of climbing the office walls, I am working quietly without watching the clock or obsessing over the fact that I have already eaten my breakfast and the next meal is not for another many, many, many minutes.

I am thinking that contrary to the thought that "Oh, lord, here we go, I am dieting again', I might actually stop worrying about dieting, and finally just eat when hungry, stop when full, and not gain weight endlessly. It's good to have the PB/paleo background, so the thought of missing meals doesn't freak you out. If I can start skipping breakfasts again, I would be so happy, because I swear, I have had enough eggs to last me to the end of my life.

The biggest test is coming, the dreaded weekend.

I have to mention that I am reading the book as well. I am such a sucker for new hope but the mindful eating concept tells us not to be skeptical and visualize the success rather than failure, so I am trying to work through the negative thoughts that it is a placebo, that's it's not going to work like every other one of 100 things I tried etc, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Leida; 01-11-2013 at 06:03 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I havent kept up completely, so I am sorry if this has been asked/answered already.

When I use to do the bulletproof coffee, with CO & butter, and then sometimes just CO.... I found that it made me full. So I use to use this to help me transition into IF with one in the a.m. And if I wanted to fast longer, I would have another for lunch.

It worked great. Too great maybe even, as I was not hunger, and I was full on less. So it was nothing to be quite full on low calories. When I would eat, I was going for HF/LC and didnt realize I was also getting lower and lower on energy. I missed the part about carb refeeds once a week. Weight loss was pretty much NIL during this time. And that was 800 - 1200 calories.

So anyways, my question I guess is on the low calorie part, for extended periods. Where are you ending up calorie wise for the day, and how many days in a row are you doing this? Maybe had I taken the BP coffee for breakfast, but when I broke fast ate more normally like the 3 way split I am eating now. But my thing is, that is couple hundred extra calories when I could also use the CO to cook my veggies later in the day.

I had read somewhere though, that CO... and I don't remember how or why it was worded, but like for tracking and counting purposes, it is more like that it counts about half? Wishful thinking?

Anyways, this is very interesting. I do okay keeping my calories in check if it is just a calorie thing. And I do have CO daily later in the day anyways that I use to cook with, so I am getting my daily dose of it already. Well maybe. Hard to say for sure I guess. But I guess the whole low calories and slowing metabolism thing still presents questions in my mind. The whole starvation mode thing I guess. I had read just the other day that while it is sort of mislabeled there is some truth as the body sees muscles as more dispensable over fat, it wants to keep the fat reserves for famine... or something like that.

Ok babbling now. Sorry. I guess I was curious about 1. your daily calories 2. how many days you are doing this
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    How low carb was your low carb? How mch protein? Shouldn't require carb refeeds if you are in ketosis.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Gopintos, I intend to do it daily as long as it works, and I don't really want to count calories. I doubt that my food intake will ever go under 1,500 even if all I ate was pure oil. I just want to be food and hunger 'normal', eat 3 meals a day & don't think about food in between & don't gain weight.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.