Page 23 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 23

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    This was posted on the SLD forums this morning by Seth Roberts, in reply to the following inquiry: If you eat normally, will the flavorless calories keep you from gaining? I'm pretty sure this is what I've read but wanted to check to make sure I'm understanding.

Seth wrote:

Let's say your normal diet is Diet X. On Diet X you gain 2 pounds per year.

On Diet X + lots of flavorless calories you will slowly lose weight (say 1 pound/week) for several months. Maybe 6 months. Maybe more, maybe less. Then you will stop losing weight. Your weight will be considerably less.

After that if you continue Diet X + lots of flavorless calories you will go back to gaining 2 pounds per year.

If you want to stop gaining those 2 pounds per year you need to change Diet X.
    This is confusing.

What about: I'm on diet X, and I weigh 128 with no annual weight gain or loss. If I do SLD, say I loose 6 lbs (122) on diet X. If I continue SLD and diet X will I go back to 128?

What does he mean about "changing diet X?"

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    I am going to try this, it do occasionally take coconut oil shots. Alot of people on this thread talk about putting the solid coconut in their mouth and letting is melt. It is so much easier to put it in a shot glass and microwave it for 10 - 15 seconds and just throw it back. Chase it with a cup of water. No need to hold your nose while it melts......
    in my case, not letting it melt was best. put it in firm/ toss back some water -- no flavor and done.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I let it melt in my mouth because I find the experience soothing and comforting.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    This is confusing.

What about: I'm on diet X, and I weigh 128 with no annual weight gain or loss. If I do SLD, say I loose 6 lbs (122) on diet X. If I continue SLD and diet X will I go back to 128?

What does he mean about "changing diet X?"
    I think he is saying at first your body will be tricked into eating less, you will lose weight for a while, but eventually, you will start gaining because you were eating too much in the first place and that was never corrected. In other words, you lower your setpoint and see a lowering of bodyweight, but only a change in diet, ie. eating less long term, will defend that setpoint long term.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Down .5lb this morning. I'm very pleased that I haven't gained yet this week--I totally expected to, with the increased workout schedule.

I never thought of melting the oil in a shot glass! Awesome idea! And finally my Tough Mudder shot glass will be put to good use. Taking the oil solid has been making me green around the gills lately; dunno why.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I took my first shot of coconut oil this afternoon. Trying to melt it in the winter in central Ontario is challenging. I had it measured out into a small Tupperware Mini with a tight lid, so I floated it in a glass of hot water and waited for it to melt. Being in plastic, I didn't want to microwave it. (I think the shotglass idea is awesome - even has measurements on the side!) So after several minutes, I shook up the half-melted oil and downed it. There was still a solid hunk in the middle - yuck! After years and years of shooting olive or canola oil, it was a very different experience. I need to work on the ease and the efficacy of the melting technique.

On the upside, my FF hour is past and I'm so NOT hungry. And no negative effects (nausea, stomach roiling, etc) from the new oil.

I need to hit the dollar store for a shot glass.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Today is day 1 of SLD for me. I didn't have any success with the potato hack (though now I know how to make amazing hash browns!). This sounds easy and harmless to try out, so I figured what the heck.
    I'm using MCT oil, which is completely odorless and flavorless. I've taken my 2 tbsp. already today, one at noon, and one at 4:30. So far today I've had a green smoothie, split up into a couple of servings. That's it. And I haven't been hungry. Quite the opposite of what I expected on my first day off of potatoes with the option to actually eat some variety now!

A little background - I've been stuck at 125 lbs. for about a month now, no matter how cleanly I eat, or how little I eat. I think a normal weight for me is around 115. It was effortlessly about 110 when I was strength training hardcore, but that has been put on hold for awhile after knee surgery last year.
    I was recently diagnosed with leaky gut, and I also suspect candida. I think that most of my weight is water retention, which I suspect now might be caused by the inflammation from leaky gut, and possibly by candida.
    I'm working with a holistic MD to get all of that straightened out, which so far has included LOTS of blood work, a stool analysis, and ALCAT (food intolerance) testing, for which I haven't received all of the results yet. I'm deficient in a handful of micronutrients, which is right in line with leaky gut. I'll be supplementing with them for now, until I can get things back in balance and absorb them properly from my food.

So far, so good with the SLD. I'm surprised at how NOT hungry I've been today. Whether this will actually translate to weight loss with my current health obstacles remains to be seen.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    So far, so good with the SLD. I'm surprised at how NOT hungry I've been today.
    Welcome to the thread! And I know the feeling--I think the biggest surprise about SLD for me was how well it worked. I was extremely dubious about diet hacks after doing the potato diet and absolutely losing my mind with hunger two days in. But taking the oil just works the way it's supposed to.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Are any once-a-day eaters trying this out? I've been following the whole thread but if someone spoke of this experience I don't remember. Thanks

beckie is offline Member
    I've decided to jump on board with the experiment! I tried the potato thing with zero success. I keep losing and regaining the same 5lbs. My low weight was 117 and I stayed there for a long time (up until I was prego with kid#2; and kids #3 and #4 didn't help). Currently, I fluxuate between 137 and 142. I'm hoping that this will help push me past the plateau. I don't expect to see 117 ever again, but anything under 130 would be very nice. Wish me luck!!

BTW - I downed my first tablespoon of MCT oil. Is it normal for it to cause burning in your throat?? (I opted for the MCT oil because my CO is unrefined and has a nice flavor and I've never understood how pinching the nose eliminates flavor since I've always been able to taste whatever is in my mouth)