Page 22 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 22

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, I think it was papaya enzymes? You can also get them at Trader Joe's. Thought obviously if taking them with the oil, you'd want to pinch your nose and swallow them like pills instead of chewing them, because they taste like citrus.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I think the amount of calories you restrict obviously varies depending on body size, but I find that while doing SLD, my body is happy with an intake of about 1000 food calories per day, plus the 300 more flavorless calories. I'm full, satisfied, and I lose weight at a good clip. Before SLD, I was eating between 1300 and 1800 calories depending on the day.
    I'm not restricting at all though. I'm more like, observing.

Example:

Vegan -- 2000-2200 calories per day
    Vegetarian -- 1800-2000 calories per day (not including pregnancy/lactation times, where I might go up a bit -- maybe up to 2200)
    Primal -- 1600-1800 calories per day (depends on pre ovulation vs post)
    Primal with IF -- 1500-1700 calories per day (depends on pre ovu vs post).

As per the articles, like those funny little rats, when the nutrition of my food goes up, my calories go down. My weight has been stable (not trying to loose any), and body composition is about the same. I have had two bouts of emotional eating, but none since trying IF.

What I'm curious about is *whether* my caloric intake will go down naturally with this method, and where it will go. I'm not restricting (i don't have a number in mind), but I will be observing to see what is happening with my caloric intake.

If eating the fats (and alternating which fats which alternates the nutrient profiles), the idea that more nutrient dense food equals less caloric consumption should still apply. I'm just wondering if I'll drop another 100 calories or what. I mean, move to 1400-1600 pre/post ovu. It will be interesting to observe.

Not only that--the first thing I noticed was how much less I was spending on food in a week. My food spending was literally cut in half. Add in the 10 bucks spent on coconut oil every couple weeks, and I'm still saving quite a bit of money! A nice perk.
    DH and I have noticed this since IF. I know that I'm consuming an average of 200 calories less per day across a month, which equates to a good amount of food. DH reckons that he's been eating less as well, while DS is eating basically the same amounts. Our food bill has dropped by $45/wk since adding IF to our protocols. DH is still seeing strength/muscle gains, and I'm healthy, and DS is healthy, so. . . that's interesting!

We also notice since IF that we want less junky foods. Our body has no craving for things like Gelato or Cookies. We hardly ate them before (about once every 3 months). But now it's even more rare. I hardly have any interest in fruit even, and I haven't had chocolate in. . . 6 weeks I think. We used to go through 2-3 chocolate bars a week. Now, DH goes through about one a month? That's sharing with people in our office, even.

The cool thing about this, imo, is that DH is happy that I'm getting more oils. He's been hounding me for YEARS to do CLO. It's expensive here, but I know it's good for me. I think if I take it nose-clipped, I'll be ok. I also have a syringe to shoot it into my mouth, and I can quick chase it with water and then do a good rinse of the mouth. Even if I take CLO every *third* day this way, it changes my nutrient profile.

We are also juicing (naturopath's orders) to get more nutrients from greens (it's green drink with lemon as the only fruit, and we add a bit of medicinal manuka honey to it to just perk the sweet a bit -- but otherwise it's great). this means that in the first meal I do 2 eggs in butter (or hard boiled 3 eggs), two brazil nuts, 12 oz green drink, while the second meal is typically raw veggies (salad -- which includes soaked nuts or seeds) or steamed fresh veg plus meat and a cup of bone broth. Snack will be oils. One day a week, we do sweet potato fries, and DH has another sweet potato on work-out days. When we dine out (about every 6 weeks, we typically have rice/rice noodles).

It will be interesting to see how this works out.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I so wish IF worked for me. It's definitely the easiest staying-lean protocol, IMO. Unfortunately it did nothing to budge my 30 extra pounds.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm not doing it (or anything really) for weight loss. For us, IF was about longevity and the 'unseen' elements around aging and the body -- autophagy and the like as well. YOu know, all of those sorts of things.

The added bonuses for us have been: natural caloric restriction, easier prep, spending less money on food, and the real shocker for me was being *unable* to emotionally eat.

In the past when under stress, I would eat the same number of calories (or skip a meal and replace it with cookies), but now, I notice the desire to emotionally eat, but physically do not feel like eating those things. I feel like it would be impossible to eat cookies say, at snack time, or as part of dinner. Once the window closes, too, I'm rarely hungry. It's so fascinating. It's like I'm full ALL the time except for when I break fast (which could be anytime between 11 and 3) around 5 (but sometimes not then), and then again for dinner. But say that I don't happen to get dinner in me by 7/8? Not hungry again until 11 the next day. Hormones, maybe? IDK. nice though.

I guess it keeps me leaner. no clue.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    This was posted on the SLD forums this morning by Seth Roberts, in reply to the following inquiry: If you eat normally, will the flavorless calories keep you from gaining? I'm pretty sure this is what I've read but wanted to check to make sure I'm understanding.

Seth wrote:

Let's say your normal diet is Diet X. On Diet X you gain 2 pounds per year.

On Diet X + lots of flavorless calories you will slowly lose weight (say 1 pound/week) for several months. Maybe 6 months. Maybe more, maybe less. Then you will stop losing weight. Your weight will be considerably less.

After that if you continue Diet X + lots of flavorless calories you will go back to gaining 2 pounds per year.

If you want to stop gaining those 2 pounds per year you need to change Diet X.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Wink

Just wanted to give an update. I started Jan 2 with a post New Year's ate-too-much-drank-too much weight of about 143. I've been taking 2 tbsp of refined coconut oil a day. I used 2.5 tbsp once but went back to 2 because it seemed like maybe there was just a lag time for appetite suppression to kick in (around day 7) and I might not need the extra. Except for the first day where I did two "doses" I've been following Marthat's protocol and just taking 2 tbsp in the afternoon. This morning I was 137.8. Now I know that I didn't lose 5 lbs of fat in 9 days - some of that 143 was post New Year's Eve water puff But I think 141-142 was probably a "real" weight. This makes me very happy (and I still don't really believe it...).

How I'm feeling... no magical appetite suppression. I still get really hungry. Its just an "enhanced" primal hunger. This is better than primal hunger which is better than shaky, dizzy, carb hunger. Its more ignorable and tolerable. And when I am hungry I want REAL food. I don't want crap. I want eggs and veggies and meat. Dinner for me used to be a time to get some nutrients before I had what I really craved - dessert. Now when I'm hungry around 5 PM or so I just really want dinner, not dessert. I think this happened when I first went primal about 2 years ago too, but I can't remember. I also get full. And I know this sounds crazy but I don't usually get full. My post-dinner munching used to be 500+ calories daily - fruit, dried fruit, dark chocolate... Now, I eat dinner, have maybe a small apple and then a 2/3 of a serving (8 squares) of the Trader Joe's 85% chocolate. And I'm done for the night. At 7 PM. I used to eat up until bed...

I'm definitely still in the honeymoon period here But it seems more doable than other schemes I've tried - very low carb, whole 30, weight watchers, etc. When I first went primal it sort of felt like this - I felt better than I had and it seemed like I could do this for a long time. So, for now I'll just keep going Thanks Heatseeker for getting this going!

One more thing I just realized. A lot of people say that Whole 30 helps them become more aware of their "mindless" eating and "habit" eating. I was fully aware of mine. I just couldn't stop it. So while whole 30 seems to help some people it seems sort of "white knuckled" to me. For some reason this approach has taken the edge off of the need to keep my bad habits going. Like a nicotine patch I guess
    Last edited by lorichka6; 01-09-2013 at 04:42 AM.

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    I havn't read this whole thread as yet, however I am working on it. I am upping my fat intake as per 'eat moar fat' thread, and have a couple of questions for anyone in the know !
    Can you buy capsules full of oil ??????? and would this have the same effect as swallowing liquid oil ?
    I have upped my fat but am getting an horrendous bloated sore gut - could this be from added oil ? which I have been having mid morning (MCT oil)
    Is MCT oil a suitable oil to consume ?
    thanking you in advance
    G x
    ...the average capsule would only contain 1g of oil. A standard tbsp is 14g. So you'd be in the neighborhood of 30 capsules per day to reach 2tbsp's worth of oil. Probably not a good (nor economical) idea...hebs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I found that if I pinch my nose across the bridge and breathe through the mouth while slowly melting CO oil in my mouth and swallowing gets me this completely tasteless experience. I also drink some warm water right after to avoid the after taste.

I think I will go with more than 2x a day oil, as I find it stabilizes my hunger in the afternoon, so 3x a day, it works well with my schedule. I will let you know in a couple of weeks if the ingestion of flavorless oil did anything for me. I am falling sick, so chances are I won't have any conclusive data for a week at least, since my workouts will be thrown off the schedule & the only time I do not want to eat naturally is when I am sick.
    Last edited by Leida; 01-09-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I am going to try this, it do occasionally take coconut oil shots. Alot of people on this thread talk about putting the solid coconut in their mouth and letting is melt. It is so much easier to put it in a shot glass and microwave it for 10 - 15 seconds and just throw it back. Chase it with a cup of water. No need to hold your nose while it melts......
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I found coconut oil capsules at a health food store. They listed 36 calories a capsule. So you'd need 3 or 4 to equal a tablespoon. I think a 60 capsule bottle was about $9, so way too expensive. They sell empty capsules, too. You could possibly make your own oil capsules. Sounds like a lot of trouble.

I have a nasty cold right now so everything is flavorless calories. We'll see if that works, ha ha.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2