Page 19 of 175 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 19

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    So sometimes you ate a lot and other times you didn't eat at all. The word balance comes to mind and that's why your weight didn't change. (From your post I can't gather wether or not to gain or lose was of interest to you.) But anyways, it sounds to me like the mathematics of the 2nd law of thermodynamics is still working out in such a case.

By the way, wouldn't you be eating less calories if you ate less sugar? I think so. Because doesn't sugar have calories in it?
    Dude you got reading to do. Nobody claims that the 2nd law is broken. We know that hormonal changes alter your metabolic rate, inflammatory factors, and a million other things that arent accounted for when your only looking at the one part of the equation (calories in). You ignore that quality of that portion will effect the CO portion of the equation via hormonal and physiological changes. Here is the cliff notes version:

Do calories matter? The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Uhm, you know, it is becoming to sound like every other diet concept out there: on the surface no big deal, super-easy, but as you try to start doing it, it becomes much, much more complicated. (Sigh) Should have known it was another one of those too good to be true.... I think I should just go back to eating meat, vegetables, and trying to keep fruit down & not worry about perfect eating windows, and not sniffing coconut oil. Just tired of things being too complicated the moment you dig a bit deeper.
    Well, you kinda ask for it the moment you start digging . Would you like to go back and take the blue pill NEO? (or was it the red?)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It was the red, lol.

And, yes, I asked for it - I think failure teaches paranoia. It's just for once, wouldn't it be nice to get a 'Nah, that's fine if you don't do it while standing on your left foot at a grave of a virgin hanged in 16th century at midnight.'
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by leida View Post
    it was the red, lol.

And, yes, i asked for it - i think failure teaches paranoia. It's just for once, wouldn't it be nice to get a 'nah, that's fine if you don't do it while standing on your left foot at a grave of a virgin hanged in 16th century at midnight.'
    lol

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Hey, Ripped,... might I suggest you go start a new thread entitled, "Hey Fatties/Dummies: Eat Less" and leave us to our topic?
    Better yet, start a thread entitled: "Sell cvv very good + transfer WU....vv. Goog % fresh 100%.................." We'll pay just as much attention!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Uhm, you know, it is becoming to sound like every other diet concept out there: on the surface no big deal, super-easy, but as you try to start doing it, it becomes much, much more complicated. (Sigh) Should have known it was another one of those too good to be true.... I think I should just go back to eating meat, vegetables, and trying to keep fruit down & not worry about perfect eating windows, and not sniffing coconut oil. Just tired of things being too complicated the moment you dig a bit deeper.
    I'm putting SLD on my to-do list this year. When I do it, I will try this: I IF until noon every day. About 930 I will pour 2TBS of light tasting olive oil in a cup and drink it down. I'm going to do that until the bottle is empty and see what happens. I also plan on not using any olive oil on anything else as my only willful change to diet. I usually put a bit of olive oil on my BAS at lunch.

I would love to try coconut oil, but the stuff I get is hard and really smells like coconut. Although, after my OO experiment, if it works, I may switch to CO for the same duration.

I get Nutivia CO, and it is hard, but melts at mouth temperature into a pleasant liquid form. You can always heat it up in a microwave for ~ 40 sec to obtain a completely liquid form but not hot - I do it if I use it in baking. I can buy refined version of CO if that eliminates the need to stop breathing and then rinse for 15 min.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Bestbetter I think you are on to something interesting: if you take the salt/hyper-sweet/crispy fried (which are modern inventions) out of food then it's pretty hard to overeat. Without those components it's more likely one will know when one has had enough. Also if you encounter one of these taste sensations solo it's easier not to over-consume them. Take for example fat w/o salt it's hard to eat too much of it. As a former chef it's hard for me to defend eating bland food but I can see the efficacy of the diet.
    I seem to remember this was one of 'marketed' benefits of eating a paleo diet (it's been awhile since I've read Cordain's book, so I might be remembering this incorrectly.) Paleo food was supposed to be *impossible* to get fat on because it was both nutrient-dense and lower calorie than modern processed deep-fried chemically-laden food.

But clearly not everyone eating an ancestral diet has been able to get control of eating and hunger. I think that for a lot of people this has to do with emotional eating (which was my issue). But maybe for some people this is due to the continued practice of making paleo/primal foods hyperpalatible (granted, in a healthy way but with the same effect on hunger signals).

Surely, sauteed garlic and onions, salt, spices, lemon, and honey and homemade sauces are healthy on the face of it, but maybe eating all those yummy flavors functions in the same way that those hyperpalatible chemicals do in a SAD diet.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 01-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.

When I started Primal, I gagged on fat, and could not stand a smell of butter. Because of the limited food choices, I was still hungry, so I gagged and ate. Now, I can eat coconut oil or unslated butter with a tea spoon, if I limit myself to just that. I get pretty cranky pretty fast. Because I really want something else, but forbid myself to have it, I will just keep eating bland food or food I don't enjoy (like when I did VLC and couldn't eat much veggies or the plain potato - I ate much more than others who were successful). I went through a period of not having any salt at all, and after a couple of days the 'eww' effect wore off. I am someone with a chronic overeating problem, and so far feeling full, while not gaining weight had escaped me. It is either one or another.

So, yeah, an appetite control method is what I need, but so far not much luck. Hopefully, if I just keep the intervals Shangri-la can help without much extra efforts.
    Last edited by Leida; 01-08-2013 at 10:06 AM.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Uhm, you know, it is becoming to sound like every other diet concept out there: on the surface no big deal, super-easy, but as you try to start doing it, it becomes much, much more complicated.
    Different strokes, obviously, but I find this diet to be insanely easy. Once you get the hang of holding your nose to block out flavor, and remembering to adhere to the 2-hour window, it really is just eating a spoonful of oil twice a day and watching fat melt off. I've totally made the tooth-brushing mistake before. You just shrug it off and remember next time. It's not all that complicated. (Not trying to condescend if you are finding it complicated, just trying to say that after a week or so to shake out the kinks, this diet became like second nature for me).

Down another pound today! Woohoo. I'm actually expecting to go up a couple pounds this week, because Crossfit is back on full class schedule after winter break, and my muscles are going to get a little heavier with the added work/inflammation.

But clearly not everyone eating an ancestral diet has been able to get control of eating and hunger. I think that for a lot of people this has to do with emotional eating (which was my issue). But maybe for some people this is due to the continued practice of making paleo/primal foods hyperpalatible (granted, in a healthy way but with the same effect on hunger signals).
    I think there may be something to the latter part. I'm not an emotional/stress eater at all, but even after doing strict Primal for years, I still went through days of constant ravenous hunger. And I still had hardcore cravings, though not for junk food--for Primal food. It's like the mechanism of hunger/craving control in my brain never changed, I just benefitted enormously by changing what I was putting into my body and therefore craving.

I would say that after four years of eating according to TPB, and 2-3 years of really strict adherence, absolutely every promise made by Mark came true--EXCEPT the fat loss. I would never go back to eating CW or any other diet because the myriad benefits pertaining to my overall health (sleep, energy, skin, athletic ability, no more blood sugar crashes, no more IBS, no more asthma) have been so spectacular. I just wish it had also worked to melt away the stubborn layer of body fat that, until now, has refused to budge.