Page 11 of 175 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Shangri-La Diet - setpoint success at last page 11

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I thought the coconut oil would have too much flavor but I really didn't think it had any. I had thought to try to swallow it with a glass of water like a big pill but it was too big and I was afraid I might choke. Then it just started dissolving so I swallowed it before I could taste anything and gag. It has a smell when I cook with it but eating cold coconut oil didn't have any taste at all.

I think I now understand why the first container of coconut oil I ever bought said it was for a supplement. I have heard of the Shangri-la diet before but never knew what it was. They've probably been selling coconut oil for this purpose for a long time.

I have wondered if you could take macadamia nuts like pills since they are mostly fat and about the right size for swallowing. And hell, wouldn't taking lots of fish oil tablets work, too? They had fish oil at the 99 Only store the other day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I thought the coconut oil would have too much flavor but I really didn't think it had any. I had thought to try to swallow it with a glass of water like a big pill but it was too big and I was afraid I might choke. Then it just started dissolving so I swallowed it before I could taste anything and gag. It has a smell when I cook with it but eating cold coconut oil didn't have any taste at all.

I think I now understand why the first container of coconut oil I ever bought said it was for a supplement. I have heard of the Shangri-la diet before but never knew what it was. They've probably been selling coconut oil for this purpose for a long time.

I have wondered if you could take macadamia nuts like pills since they are mostly fat and about the right size for swallowing. And hell, wouldn't taking lots of fish oil tablets work, too? They had fish oil at the 99 Only store the other day.
    Refined coconut oil is pretty good. Virgin coconut oil retains the coconut flavor but the refined stuff has the majority of it removed and is pretty mild, but still has the MCTs so it could work for this plan.

Macademias make a great "fat snack" but would do horrible for the Shangri-La thing as they have quite a BIT of flavor. Taking anything with coffee, even if unflavored, adds the coffee flavor.

I'm thinking that a major part of the benefit to this strategy is the psychological advantage of consuming these calories in a flavorless environment that doesn't stimulate other bodily processes to begin in response to the taste of food.

Paleobird Guest
    Does anyone know if the SLD makes any mention of using MCT oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Does anyone know if the SLD makes any mention of using MCT oil?
    Considering that he suggests using light olive oil (I'd avoid due to high contamination of this product with other vegetable oils) I would guess the lack of flavor is the key component here. As I said, there's probably something to consuming calories in a way that has no taste that prevents the body from reacting in exactly the same way as if it could taste the food and used the flavor to trigger certain biochemical reactions in the body. I'll have to research the science behind it more closely, but on the face of it it makes a LITTLE sense at least.

The MCTs could be useful as an adjunct to this strategy, and in that case REFINED coconut oil might be good on this diet. However, the boost in energy seems to be less the reason for taking th glucose solution or the oils. It seems more about blunting your hunger later when you eat a meal, thus making weightloss easier.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Considering that he suggests using light olive oil (I'd avoid due to high contamination of this product with other vegetable oils) I would guess the lack of flavor is the key component here. As I said, there's probably something to consuming calories in a way that has no taste that prevents the body from reacting in exactly the same way as if it could taste the food and used the flavor to trigger certain biochemical reactions in the body. I'll have to research the science behind it more closely, but on the face of it it makes a LITTLE sense at least.

The MCTs could be useful as an adjunct to this strategy, and in that case REFINED coconut oil might be good on this diet. However, the boost in energy seems to be less the reason for taking th glucose solution or the oils. It seems more about blunting your hunger later when you eat a meal, thus making weightloss easier.
    In the "Eat Fat, Grow Slim" book, Enig and Fallon are advocating CO for both the appetite suppression and the metabolic boost reasons.

MCT oil is often recommended on ketogenic protocols as a more palatable option for people who find regular CO gag inducing including children.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    See, I'm not completely sold on the "set point theory". I just don't thing your body/brain is that dumb. And if there was any credence to it why in the world would you want to trick yourself out of it? Seems more likely that when you hit a stall there is more metabolic healing that needs to take place (assuming there is more weight that needs to be lost), or perhaps your goals are culturally motivated and the weight your at is perfectly healthy. Just thinking out loud. I'm sure this works, but I'm just more inclined to attribute it to other mechanisms. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    See, I'm not completely sold on the "set point theory". I just don't thing your body/brain is that dumb. And if there was any credence to it why in the world would you want to trick yourself out of it? Seems more likely that when you hit a stall there is more metabolic healing that needs to take place (assuming there is more weight that needs to be lost), or perhaps your goals are culturally motivated and the weight your at is perfectly healthy. Just thinking out loud. I'm sure this works, but I'm just more inclined to attribute it to other mechanisms. Sorry to be a party pooper.
    My theory at to why this works goes into a deeper understanding of psychological responses to food. I'll have to see if I can find any evidence that backs up our brain and bodies reacting differently to flavorful calories as opposed to calories with no flavor at all. I think the set point idea might be part of it, but it is WAY too simplistic to attribute the entire success of this diet simply to it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I totally buy the appetite suppression angle but I share your doubts about the set point thing. I think there are points where your body can settle in and get comfy with a certain weight and if you want it to change you have to "up your game". I think the appetite suppression helps people to get past that gnawing ravenous feeling long enough to calm down and develop a better relationship with food. It takes the "frantic factor" out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    In the "Eat Fat, Grow Slim" book, Enig and Fallon are advocating CO for both the appetite suppression and the metabolic boost reasons.

MCT oil is often recommended on ketogenic protocols as a more palatable option for people who find regular CO gag inducing including children.
    From my brief searchings, I find some people who say they use MTC oil (or refined coconut oil) on this plan and CLAIM it helps. But then I see people who use the glucose solution or the light olive oil and claim to have the same success. I don't see any specific writings or mentions from the creator on MTC oils, or medium chain triglycerides in general however. I think the appetite suppression is probably the biggest reason people see success on this diet (assuming they do at all, not everyone did).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I guess Cod Liver Oil would have too strong of a flavor to work, it would be nice to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I tried it today with the CO I had on hand and found that unrefined is too good tasting, I had to really pinch my nose not to taste it.

Page 11 of 175 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast