Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: uses for beef bone broth page 2

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodo View Post
    HELP! Ok, I'm new here and can't figure out how to start a new thread. I will be getting a call today from the processor on how I want my beef cut. What bones should I ask for to make bone broth? What size packages? Is there any particular way I should request that they be handled or processed?

I am very lucky in that I am getting a whole, mostly grass-fed beef from my landlord to share with my sons. It was butchered last Saturday and is being dry-aged. The plant will be calling today for cutting and packaging instructions and the only bones I've ever gotten before are soup-bones (ox-tail). Anyone with help or advice would be appreciated.
    Ask for the neckbones. They are great for stock. The shin bones also work really well if they still have the meat attached. As a bonus they often contain a signficant amount of marrow and can be used for osso bucco. I have heard the hoof is the ultimate gelatin bomb, but the hoof was not included with my half cow.

I like having my bones in somewhat smaller packs (like 1lb or so). This makes it easy to roast them on sheet pans even if they aren't completey thawed. If you plan ahead and thaw a few days in advance, having a larger pack is no problem though.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Be sure and ask for the knuckles and the hocks, basically all the leg joints. If they are willing to give you all the joints (like the backbone) that aren't part of other cuts I would snatch them up. Basically, see if you can get every bone possible. Joint bones will have more cartilage and thus more gelatin-making ability but all bones will make bone broth.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    Be sure and ask for the knuckles and the hocks, basically all the leg joints. If they are willing to give you all the joints (like the backbone) that aren't part of other cuts I would snatch them up. Basically, see if you can get every bone possible. Joint bones will have more cartilage and thus more gelatin-making ability but all bones will make bone broth.
    Yes! How could I forget the knuckle!? I did have one in my order that I used in the first batch of broth I made from this cow. It was amazing.

vintageeats is offline Member
    Greensprout has the right idea. Freezing in ice cube trays works really well for whatever liquid you need to save - open wine, olive oil with herbs, stock..

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad this thread is here because I just made a batch of beef bone stock that turned out to have a weird color. I roasted the bones first and ate the marrow out of half of them, then made stock as usual. I even added a diced skillet steak for extra flavor, but it came out so pale, even lighter than the chicken stock I'd made a few days earlier. Anyone know what's going on?

josonalico is offline Junior Member
    Great with ground beef/veg mixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    I'm glad this thread is here because I just made a batch of beef bone stock that turned out to have a weird color. I roasted the bones first and ate the marrow out of half of them, then made stock as usual. I even added a diced skillet steak for extra flavor, but it came out so pale, even lighter than the chicken stock I'd made a few days earlier. Anyone know what's going on?
    My guess is too much water, too few bones. Did it become solid when cold? How does it taste?

Here's a batch I made from beef hocks:
    IMG_0100.jpg

Its light colored but beefy flavored and it turned gelatin-y when cooled.
    http://theprimalgardener.blogspot.co...one-broth.html
    Last edited by Kaylee99; 01-07-2013 at 05:59 PM.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I blogged about beef stew with broth...it's LOVELY!
    Wintry Woodstove Beef Stew the woodsy gal
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    My guess is too much water, too few bones. Did it become solid when cold? How does it taste?

Here's a batch I made from beef hocks:
    IMG_0100.jpg

Its light colored but beefy flavored and it turned gelatin-y when cooled.
    The Primal Gardener: How To: Bone Broth
    Thanks for the input! Still waiting on the attachment, but it mine was about the color of the cooled stock in the blog. I don't know if it gelled, since I put it in the freezer before it fully cooled. I'd cooked it for about 30 hours, so I assume it did. I was only concerned because I'd made stock the exact same way before and it came out nice and brown.

I generally don't worry about the color. If it tastes the way you want (I like mine plain beefy but I know some people add seasonings/veggies for a more beef soup-type flavor) and gelatin-izes then I'd say your are good.

And the attachment should be the pic from the blog. Hmmm...wonder what I did wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast