Thread: Hack my primal diet for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Psoriasis page

TillyMonstar is offline Member

Hack my primal diet for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Psoriasis

Shop Now
    I posted a thread a few weeks back about where to start on cleaning up my hubster's diet so we can try and treat his psoriasis naturally. I am having some issues with my Hashimoto's at the moment and am finding my self super tired, moody and annoying abdominal pain if I eat ANYTHING with wheat. So I may even be undiagnosed celiac. The test was "negative" but I've learned to not trust a lab test in all cases.

So here is what my husband and myself eat on a mostly regular basis. What would you lovely forumites suggest in regards to what to take out or eat more of or start eating?

Breakfast:
    Scrambled/hardboiled (and usually cage-free) eggs

Bacon/sausage from Trader Joe's (with dextrose and sugar cured) OR
    Handmade sausage/chorizo from Sprouts (health food store in CA) that doesn't have any funny stuff in it.

Lots of butter, olive oil and coconut oil. Lately, I haven't been buying grass fed because it's SO DARN expensive.

I try and mix in veggies as much as possible. Spinach, tomatoes, olives, garlic, carrots and kale are my usuals.

Coffee with honey and half and half (we all know this isn't primal and boy it's hard to give up! But it's the ONLY time I use honey)

We occasionally have leftovers or just skip breakfast and eat lunch. But we eat eggs a lot.

Lunch:
    Big salad or sauté with meat and usually some sort of cheese, lots of greens. I use balsamic/white wine vinegar or lemon as dressing, or greek yogurt. Lunch is hard and I hate cooking 3 times (not good at planning, obviously) and I usually skip it because breakfast was so huge.

Instead I'll do an "antipasto-ish" plate of fruit, salami, cheese, olives. I know the salami isn't primal.
    I try and only have one serving a day of fruit that's low sugar. My husband barely eats any fruit and usually skips lunch too.

Dinner:
    Lots of roast meat in the crockpot/pressure cooker. Or pan fried. I make a whole chicken about 3 times a month.

Lately, we've been doing potatoes because they are cheap! I try to keep it to once a day.

Tons of veggies, steamed or fried in my favorite combo (olive oil, butter and coconut oil).

Dessert:
    I try to stay away from chocolate, but have some occasionally. I have red wine quite a bit, especially lately due to the holidays and can easily go through a few bottles a week with my husband. He likes beer and spirits more and we know this is definitely NOT helping with the AI issues.

Exercise:
    I am trying to do a strength training routine with adjustable barbells, stretch cords and a kettle bell a few times a week. I'm not very consistent though. I am trying to walk at least 30 mins a few days a week, weather permitting. My husband doesn't have any routines but he stays active playing with my 3 year old and walking up and down flights of stairs at work. I just did a T-tapp seven day bootcamp and I didn't see any results. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Symptoms:
    All in all I've been seeing a lot of symptoms lessen like us getting sick all the time, terrible periods, getting shakes and moody if I don't eat (just doesn't happen anymore!), terrible gas and bloating, horrible memory and brain fog. All gone mostly! The weight however is NOT coming off. I've been trying for over 2 years now (waited a year after having my daughter) and the scale isn't really budging. My clothes are fitting different and I look less pregnant. But I still look pregnant. GRRR. I am still nursing as well but only for naps (if she takes one) and bedtime. I think my supply is very low as my bras fit different. I am still experiencing a lot of insomnia. Mostly not being able to fall asleep easily or waking up and unable to go back to sleep.

My husband is not seeing a lot of results from Embrel and is getting crappy side effects. He stopped taking last week so I am hoping to get his diet in control first then try and get him to exercise. I am taking a vit. d, vit. c, calcium, magnesium and zinc and a probiotic. I drink kombucha a few times a week and plan to start making it!

Thanks for reading my novel and for any help!
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." --Hypatia

:: Silly Blatherings ::

No thoughts for me here? Guess I'm doing it right then...
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." --Hypatia

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Maybe you should just tighten up all those places where you say you aren't that consistent or not primal or whatever. In other words, actually do your exercise regularly and stop eating chocolate and processed meats and drinking wine? Not that this is guaranteed to work.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'm too new to primal to help on the diet end, however I think you're on to something with wheat being a culprit. I also have Hashi's, and my doctor (a Naturopathic Doctor) told me that in many cases Hashi's (and all auto-immune diseases) are caused and/or exacerbated by food allergies. When she diagnosed me with Hashi's she immediately put me on an anti-inflammatory diet (all potential allergens removed) and we determined on the food re-introduction phase that I am allergic to dairy. I may also have a sensitivity to wheat. My Hashi's is much better controlled when I eat right and avoid the foods that I am sensitive to.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Your diet is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which tend to lower thyroid hormone. The coconut oil helps, but you probably need to use tons of it to balance the effects. I would drop the kale for the time being unless you're willing to cook it 30+ minutes to break down the goitogorens.

Have you had a thyroid panel done? TSH over 1-2 is high, not "normal". You might want to read this book by Broda Barnes:
    Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness: Broda Barnes: 9780690010299: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for the responses. Today I am feeling especially crappy but we could chalk this up to the craziness that is December. And yes, I get a TSH test every few weeks and it's never below 1 and never has been. But it's in "range" according to Kaiser. I've seen a few docs and endocrinologists who usually just scoff at my symptoms and say "that's what happens with you hit your 30s" (yes, a doc told me this last appointment). Really. I don't like wasting my money and want to see a Naturopathic doc but they are VERY expensive where I live and they don't take insurance.

Also-- I don't think my diet is very high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, from my understanding those are mostly from some fish, walnuts and crappy seed oils. All which I don't eat very often if ever. I do eat as much fat as I can from butter, olive oil and coconut oil but they are not the super expensive cold-pressed versions so who knows what's lurking in them. I'm definitely on a budget so that makes primal living hard sometimes!
    Last edited by TillyMonstar; 01-02-2013 at 05:42 PM.