Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal eating / stopping alcohol cravings page

Sanderooblue is offline Junior Member

Wink Primal eating / stopping alcohol cravings

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I believe that a paleo, primal diet makes transitioning from a practicing alcoholic to a non drinker vital.
    I stopped drinking and addressed my health and diet issues all at once. I went paleo and stopped sugar and white processed stuff. I was shocked to see how many alcoholics are seriously addicted to sugar. A typical AA meeting has large bowls of candy and or donuts. EVERYONE complains of how to deal with alcohol cravings, but when I got sober I stopped everything that I craved and I DON'T crave alcohol. This is a fascinating theory. Imagine if alcoholism is just a by product of SAD diet. I am a bartender by trade and I DON'T crave alcohol.

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    That is awesome! It makes sense that it would work for some alcoholics! Congrats and keep up the awesome journey! LOTS to celebrate

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations of quitting drinking. I think for many people diet is a significant issue when it comes to addiction.

Paleobird Guest
    In this video, Dr Robert Lustig shows how sugar and alcohol are very similar in the way they are processed by the body and the brain receptors they excite. The connection between sugar and alcohol is real.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    In this video, Dr Robert Lustig shows how sugar and alcohol are very similar in the way they are processed by the body and the brain receptors they excite. The connection between sugar and alcohol is real.

Good video, BTW. I heard this back in the early 80's but didn't know what to make of it. A friend who struggled with alcoholism also had a terrible time trying to quit sugar.

Vanessa is offline Junior Member
    This sugar/alcohol connection makes sense. I am definitely kicking my addiction to both. Just seems the more stress I have on any given day, the more I want a glass of wine.

farmerokbag is offline Junior Member
    me too,Just seems the more stress I have on any given day, the more I want a glass of wine.thanks for your sharing.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    When I eat strict paleo I find that my alcohol cravings disappear as well. In addition to sugar issues, I wonder if it also may be related to the casomorphins and gluteomorphins in dairy and wheat respectively. Whether there is scientific basis for this or not, I don't know, but intuitively it makes perfect sense to me. Alcoholism is a neolithic disease so it stands to reason that neolithic foods are a possible culprit.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Good link. I remember Nora Gedgaudas making essentially the same claim in Primal Body, Primal Mind

And I agree. When I drink OR eat sugar, I look forward (crave is maybe too strong a word) to a drink. When I'm ketogenic and alcohol-free, I am truly indifferent.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hmmm, never thought of this but seems to be (kinda) the case for me too. i started primal in Nov but went off track over the holidays. but come jan 1 i was back on and joined a friend in a "no booze january". i was surprised how easy it has been to stop drinking. i am not an alcoholic but do enjoy my wine so thought i would be more tempted. maybe cutting the carbs contributed.
    good on you though for turning your life around! that is seriously admirable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast