Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Primal problem. page

PhilR is offline Member

My Primal problem.

I have been living my life very primal except for.... I have a slight or big problem getting organic or grass fed meat. My wife is getting a little pushed out of shape about the way I eat. She has seen my blood sugar problems vanish and my pants are starting to get real loose I want to know if I eat grain fed meats will it knock me off track? I am eating a lot of organic veggies and taking vitamins every day. It's just that she is the anti-organic-grass fed Love of my life very CW meat and tater girl. I also wanted to know if this is the norm in other homes besides mine

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    I have a hard time convincing my girlfriend that grassfed is the way to go, mainly because she grew up on a farm and they fed there animals grains, and on top of that her major in school was ag business so its very difficult speaking to her about these things, because she brushes me off as not knowing what I am talking about when it comes to that sort of thing.

Shine is offline Member
    I cannot feasibly obtain nor store pastured meat at the moment, so I am largely relying upon cage-free eggs for my protein. My local grocery store has ground grass-fed beef and bison; however, it's between $5-$7 per pound so I really can't afford to have more one pound every week or two.

The main thing that prevents me from obtaining pastured meat is my tiny efficiency apartment; the most economical way to pastured meat is to order online in bulk, and I unfortunately have no freezer space to store meat in bulk. However, if you have access to a deep freezer, you can order grass-fed beef online from lots of places. Here are two sources which a lot of people like:
    http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok
    http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/
    I've only ordered their tallow before so I can't fully vouch for their meats.

But if it's just a problem of convincing your wife, watch Food, Inc. or Fast Food Nation with her. Showing people the problems of factory farming (where most of that grain-fed cattle comes from) can usually change their minds about consuming that product.
    Last edited by Shine; 04-19-2010 at 05:38 AM.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i ordered from texas grassfed before, but like you i cannot afford grassfed beef...all my meat is grain fed(sorry not promal i know this)... i do have access to free range chicken and eggs, and bison which is grassfed, and what they tout as "lite beef" because it is not grain finished and organic....but the craps expensive and no where NEAR the fat level i need in meat.

i buy the regular USDA choice chuck roasts(5-10lbs) at a time and roast it all day and have it all week. chuck roast is cheap, fatty, and economical

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
    I have been living my life very primal except for.... I have a slight or big problem getting organic or grass fed meat. My wife is getting a little pushed out of shape about the way I eat. She has seen my blood sugar problems vanish and my pants are starting to get real loose I want to know if I eat grain fed meats will it knock me off track? I am eating a lot of organic veggies and taking vitamins every day. It's just that she is the anti-organic-grass fed Love of my life very CW meat and tater girl. I also wanted to know if this is the norm in other homes besides mine
    It's not ideal but it's fine. You just need to take very good care to get your Omega-3s from other sources. Not hard at all - add some sardines and Carlson's cod liver oil to your diet.

My boyfriend got me going primal with relative ease. Lead by example and she'll come around.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    As Suki said, it's fine if you watch your omega 6:3 ratios. I must add that if you use grain-fed meats it's better to get lean (instead of fatty) meats and get more fat from healthy sources such as: coconut oil, grass-fed tallow or lard, or - if you tolerate dairy - butter from grass-fed cows (eg: Kerrygold). If you are using grass-fed meats then the fatter the better.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I think any cow beats the pants of the alternative plate of spaghetti :-) I think all you can do is the best you can do...sticking to primal foods and getting them as natural as you can will put you way ahead of the game.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand the conflict. Does she OBJECT to you eating grass-fed meat?

Whole Foods has 80% grass fed meats.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't let perfect get in the way of good. I don't always get to buy grass fed, but I still see results and feel great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast