Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef broth fail

Hybrid View

Beef broth fail

I made my first batch of beef broth today. The result is in the fridge now, congealing. Or plotting to take over the world. I took a small sip before, and it tastes like fermented face. It smells horrific. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, probably holding my nose while doing so.

I don't even know what I did - had 2.5 lbs of beef bones from the supermarket, roasted them for 30 min at 200 F, put them in a pot, filled with water, added salt, peppercorns...oh, 1T of ACV for every 2 cups of water, 1 clove of garlic, some rosemary. Simmered for...four hours? Five? Um. Well.

So...yikes.

I don't know if this is a badge of honor or what. But I think this will be even worse than the Great Zucchini Bread Disaster of 2012.

Were your beef bones rancid?

Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Were your beef bones rancid?
    I have no idea! I took them out of the package and put them in the roasting pan.

Actually, I don't think they were, because they didn't smell bad (until after I cooked).

Next time roast at 375F for 40-60 min, drain off any fat, then put the bones and 1/4c ACV in a crock pot and cover with water to about 1/4" from top of pot. Cook on high till you get a simmer going, then turn to low and cook for at least 12 hours. 18-24 is better. The bones should be bare of all flesh and starting to crumble at the cut ends.

Add the veggies and seasonings when you've got 2-4 hours of cooking time left. NO SALT until its done and you can salt to taste. I generally leave my unsalted and just add salt as needed depending on how I'm using it. If I'm drinking it straight, I add a few shakes of salt to the mug.

IMO beef broth smells like fermented face for the first 6-8 hours of cooking. I HATE the way it stinks up my house, but the broth is fantastic.. I think next time I'm going to set up the crock pot outside.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Next time roast at 375F for 40-60 min, drain off any fat, then put the bones and 1/4c ACV in a crock pot and cover with water to about 1/4" from top of pot. Cook on high till you get a simmer going, then turn to low and cook for at least 12 hours. 18-24 is better. The bones should be bare of all flesh and starting to crumble at the cut ends.

Add the veggies and seasonings when you've got 2-4 hours of cooking time left. NO SALT until its done and you can salt to taste. I generally leave my unsalted and just add salt as needed depending on how I'm using it. If I'm drinking it straight, I add a few shakes of salt to the mug.

IMO beef broth smells like fermented face for the first 6-8 hours of cooking. I HATE the way it stinks up my house, but the broth is fantastic.. I think next time I'm going to set up the crock pot outside.
    Thank you so much for this! I'll give this a shot next time. Meanwhile...I have a cup of fermented face calling my name. (But first...coffee.)

I had a fail early in my broth career too, but you'll get it. Definitely worth it. Probably didn't roast them long enough.

Thanks - next time, I'll roast the bones for an hour at a higher temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    IMO beef broth smells like fermented face for the first 6-8 hours of cooking.
    Fermented Face. Interesting. ha

I havent tried beef yet, only chicken, and I let my chicken go for 24. I would probably do my beef even longer but only because I grind the bones too, unless that isnt a good idea.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Okay, an update: I chiseled off the electric-green-looking congealed fat, then heated up a cup's worth of broth and added a pinch of pink salt. The verdict? Still smells like fermented face, but it tastes pretty good! And wow - I feel very energized! Maybe I'm just relieved that I didn't poison myself.

Beef bone broth is supposed to be very healthy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Maybe I'm just relieved that I didn't poison myself.
    Didnt anyone tell you that could take up to another 24 hours?! jk jk Well I guess it could but still, I am jk
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey