Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beef broth fail page 2

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm terrified of making broth and screwing up lol, glad yours tasted good and a serious LOL on the fermented face.
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy

9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Wildapple Guest
    Leave out the bones and cook a pot of carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaf and potatoes instead. Vegetable broth. Delicious.
    Last edited by Wildapple; 01-07-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Meadow_001 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I don't cook the bones either. Sometimes they are cooked if I'm using a roasted chicken carcass, but I've never cooked bones specifically for broth. I learned broth-making by watching family make posole, which uses pig feet to make bone broth. They are never cooked beforehand.

I actually just put a pot on full of raw chicken bones and some veggies. Toss everything in, cover with water. Turn the heat on high. Once it boils, set it to low and walk away. Come back in several hours and check it. For chicken, you know its done when the bones get soft. I don't take it that far for posole because pork bones are larger, but 24 hours sounds about right.

You know you made the broth right when it cools and has the consistency of jello.

Is there a reason to cook the bones? Am I missing out on something great here?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow_001 View Post
    Is there a reason to cook the bones? Am I missing out on something great here?
    I could be wrong, but I was thinking for more flavor or at least a different flavor, maybe richer color also?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Meadow_001 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I googled. Roasting the beef bones does increase the flavor. Looks like I'll be roasting any beef bones if I ever attempt beef stock. Glad I read this thread!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12