Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Veggies are enough, how much is too much for weight loss? page

Emmelle is offline Member

How many Veggies are enough, how much is too much for weight loss?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been eating NK/Primal for 4 weeks now. I feel really good but I've only lost 5lbs total and that bounces up 2lbs and down 2lbs all the time. I've really cut back on carbs, under 20 total carb grams a day and sometimes under ten. I'm keeping my protein at the minimum range and upping fat for satiety. That said, I'm really starting to miss veggies a lot and I'm wondering if I ate more veggies and less fat or protein would it increase my weight loss? I need to lose at least 50lbs to be at merely "overweight" and I have patience to do this, but I don't know how long I can/should eat this way without more vegetables in my diet. What is the maximum I should have to lose a pound or so a week? Anybody want to tackle this?

Thanks in advance! Em

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    100 g carbs a day would be just fine - enjoy your veggies, plus some sweet potato and white potato.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Now that you are in the routine, play with it some. I can't eat 100 grams of carbs and lose weignt. Some can. It just depends on you. I would make sure that you are eating lots of dark green leafy stuff. Other than that just play with it to find your own "sweet spot".

Quote Originally Posted by Emmelle View Post
    I've been eating NK/Primal for 4 weeks now. I feel really good but I've only lost 5lbs total and that bounces up 2lbs and down 2lbs all the time. I've really cut back on carbs, under 20 total carb grams a day and sometimes under ten. I'm keeping my protein at the minimum range and upping fat for satiety. That said, I'm really starting to miss veggies a lot and I'm wondering if I ate more veggies and less fat or protein would it increase my weight loss? I need to lose at least 50lbs to be at merely "overweight" and I have patience to do this, but I don't know how long I can/should eat this way without more vegetables in my diet. What is the maximum I should have to lose a pound or so a week? Anybody want to tackle this?

Thanks in advance! Em
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Experiment with adding veggies and some healthy starches (sweet potato, for example), and see how you do with it.

fresa is offline Member
    If very few carbs isn't working that well for you (and it sounds like it isn't) I would suggest adding more veggies and possibly eating less meat or fat,depending on your current habits. Although the carb curve is a guideline, it doesn't always work. I know if I limit my veggies I do not lose weight. I would suggest eating all the veggies you want. If that also doesn't work you can tweak from there, but honestly I bet you will see more drastic results if you keep track of overall calories while upping your veggies. Starting to count carbs was my downfall when it came to losing weight. I would say as long as your calories are reasonable, there is no maximum for veggies. This is only from personal experience of course, but I would recommend trying it. Especially if you are actually starting to miss veggies!

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it you could eat non starchy veggies all day and not come close to 100 grams of carbs. Keep the starchy ones to a minimum but go hog wild on the greens and peppers and such. I am sure you can find a list of just how many carbs there are in 5 lbs of raw broccoli but I doubt it would be an issue. If you miss the veggies go nuts.

I kinda wonder where carrots, parsnips and broccoli sit on the list as well as cabbage, this time of the year I eat a lot of these.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I don't count carbs, but I do vary the amount of starchy/carby foods I eat. I need meat and fat for satiety, but sometimes my body craves a really good salad. Or I want a nice apple. Some weeks I serve potatoes with dinner every night. Don't be afraid to try new combos, mix it up, experiment. As long as you're eating real food all the time, and paying attention to hunger and satiety cues, you can't really go wrong.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Unless you're dousing your veggies in dressings and sauces, you can eat leafy greens until the cows come home and still lose weight if you're doing everything else correctly.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    As I understand it you could eat non starchy veggies all day and not come close to 100 grams of carbs. Keep the starchy ones to a minimum but go hog wild on the greens and peppers and such. I am sure you can find a list of just how many carbs there are in 5 lbs of raw broccoli but I doubt it would be an issue. If you miss the veggies go nuts.

I kinda wonder where carrots, parsnips and broccoli sit on the list as well as cabbage, this time of the year I eat a lot of these.
    Carrots, tomatoes, and bell peppers are actually high in sugar at least as far as veggies are concerned. They don't compare to most fruits of course but they can, in sufficient quantities, be enough to keep people out of ketosis.

They are unlikely to effect weightloss efforts for most people, but if ketosis is desired, leafy greens like kale, mustard greens, spinach, ect. and other choices like asparagus, broccoli, and even some fermented veggies like sauerkraut are probably your best choices in that case.

I just wanted to chime in to say that 5lbs in 4 weeks is great! Good for you! Give yourself permission to focus on establishing a healthy, sustainable lifestyle, rather than trying to drop lbs as fast as possible. You didn't gain all that weight overnight, and you're not going to lose it overnight either. That's ok! You'll still lose it.

10g-20g of carbs a day is really low for long-term! You'll of course want to play with your carb intake to see what range works best for you in terms of both weight loss and just how you feel. But you should be able to up that significantly and keep losing weight in a healthy, steady manner. Start eating veggies with abandon, and see what that gets you. If your weight loss really stalls, cut back on the more sugary veggies like bell peppers, as others have suggested, and load up - I mean load up! - on leafy greens like spinach, kale, chard. They are packed with nutrients your body needs to function well (and thus to achieve and maintain a healthy weight), and it's really hard to overdo it with them in terms of carbs and calories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast