Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extending the life of strawberries page

batty is offline Senior Member

extending the life of strawberries

other than freezing them, does anyone have a good way of extending the life of strawberries? i tried green bags, but that didn't fare too well.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Sorry I don't have anything to contribute. I could however help you end the lives of your strawberries

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    DEVOUR THEM!!!

and let them live on as a sweet, sweet memory...

(...in other words I got nuthin')

thanks, walnut gallery...

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    No, seriously starwberries I've noticed are among the "weakest" berries out there, they spoil if you look at them wrong. I've had some rasberries that have up and gone bad on me, but not nearly as many as strawberries. This is why I have a strict "devour" policy with fresh ones. If you don't want to freeze them I can't think of anything beyond Jellies, and Jams, and them ain't low carb by any stretch.

no, see - you are supposed to give me this magic primal concoction that i sprinkle on my strawberries to delay their expiration, which is approximately 4.389 hours after you leave the store.

i do think freezing is probably my only option.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I read a Consumer Reports article about those green bags. They said fruit did worse in those things!

I would say don't buy the organic strawberries unless you're going to eat them that day. Those things don't last. I know most people would say Organic is better, but when it comes to fruits and veggies (I don't eat much fruit, but I eat veggies) they just don't last.

Regarding organic veggies, my Anthro professors always said the toxins that vegetables naturally produce are more "harmful" than the toxins we spray on them anyway.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    I do believe spoilage is mosty from molds in strawberries. If you just give 'em a quick rinse every day you should wash off the mold spores so it cannot grow. I rinse mine in the plastic crate thing, shake 'em out to dry (still in crate) and set them in the fridge on a paper towel to catch the extra water. I get a couple weeks out of them this way.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I find that rinsing them and then keeping them DRY is key. I rinse em and lay em out in layers in a bowl with paper towels under, over and between.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not sure if this will help or just create another problem. When I buy too many strawberries, and I know they're about to expire, I've always sliced them up, sprinkled sugar on them, and put them in the fridge. I will probably still do this just with considerably less sugar than before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast