Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help convincing father that I wont die going primal page

Devi09 is offline Junior Member

Need help convincing father that I wont die going primal

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone I've started going primal recently and my dad as been going crazy over the fact that all I eat is meat, fat, and veggies but no potatoes, rice , bread and all that other stuff. Basically he's convinced that if I continue on this primal diet that I'll end up dying from liver failure or a heart attack.

Can anyone think of ways to convince him that I won't kick the bucket because of this diet? He's starting to get angry with me (Out of fear for my health).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Show him a picture of Mark (who is about 57 or 58 by the way).
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    1. Eat a potato. It's primal.

2. Give your dad your copy of PB to read. You do have a copy right??
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, my husband is just now getting over his conviction that I went "primal" in order to kill him.

With my husband the trick was to let him know that I was doing my research. It drove him nuts when I said one thing one day, and then corrected myself to the opposite the next. But now he is settling down and seeing the bigger picture.

My husband didn't like PB at all, he thought it had too much woo. I think he conked out in the chapter about epigenetics.

He is reading Taubes right now and liking it, though.

My advice - say "I've read a lot about this, and believe that this is actually healthy. If you want to know why I believe that I can show you what I've read."

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Actually the best way to convince him depends of the fact if you live with your parents and they buy your food or you are independent. In the latter case dont stir it up unnecessarily, just show him your results after a few months. I mean both weight, exercise achievements and blood test results.

Emphasize the veggies. I thought Paleo/Primal was totally wack until my husband started getting into it and I realized that the major change for us was really replacing grains with more veg (I somehow had it in my head that a typical meal would be fatty meat cooked in butter covered with bacon with a fried egg on top. Not sure where that came from).

Veggies are the most obviously healthy thing in the entire world according to absolutely anyone. If you can frame it in terms of avoiding processed foods and eating more veggies because they're more nutrient-dense than bread, it'll be harder to argue with than, "WHOLE GRAINS ARE THE DEVIL!!! Now please pass me that stick of butter."

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    This is the reason I often won't even tell people I'm doing anything different.

I eat meat, veggies, fruit, moderate dairy. Just no grains, no processed foods, no sugar, no chemicals. Why on earth would that be unhealthy? But some people have been totally brainwashed that you *must* get x amount of servings from grains a day. I know I fell for that malarky for a long time.

One thing I'd emphasize is this isn't Atkins. PB definitely has a great emphasis on healthier fats, no processed foods (Atkins has a ton of processed foods), and eating vegetables.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Show him an article on the Inuits.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I can only think of a few hundred thousand years' worth of evidence that you won't die from eating (closer to) man's natural, ancestral diet.

mauler5858 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Show him an article on the Inuits.
    And additionally inform him of the "French Paradox"
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast