Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Even Possible For Women To Lose Weight On PB? page

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Is It Even Possible For Women To Lose Weight On PB?

Me and at least two other Primal girls have been wondering why it seems like it's a lot easier for men to lose fat and get toned on PB than it is for women?
    Some of us have been Primal for months with no weight reduction whatsoever, which is also very frustrating and disappointing for those of us who look for affirmations in the success of others.

Before we're giving up hope altogether, we were wondering if those of you who had succeeded in losing a substantial amount of weight (not through conventional methods, but strictly on PB) and reached your target goal, are doing things differently than we are.
    We're interested in both your plateaus and the effective exercise and diet regiments, and how what you've done before (when it didn't work) differentiated from what you've done that has worked.

Is it calories? Protein/ fat intake? Ratios? Exercising? Complete absence of sugar/ fruit?

Please help us understand what's going on!

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Hey NoSalad, sorry. Looks like you got to it before me. I like it. It's worded great!

batty is offline Senior Member
    ahh, estrogen. i can't help with the actual diet itself, as i didn't lose most of my weight on PB, but every time this topic comes up, i am reminded of this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQgsr5tR48

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I have lost 50 lbs on the PB, and have another 20 lbs to be seriously lean and cut! I look pretty good now, but not there yet. I went from plus size clothing to size 6-8 depending on the brand.

I'm female, 26, and have given birth to two children.

My calorie range is somewhere between 1700-2000 every day, except on days I IF obviously! lol My ratios are roughly 60-70% fat, 15-20% protein, 10-15% carb. I walk almost everyday, weight lift 2 - 3 times a week.

Milk was making me plateau, and as soon as I stopped drinking it I started losing weight again.

I avoid all sugar because it derails me. I become a crazed sugar fiend, and lose control. I don't eat fruit daily. Maybe once a week right now?

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    I'm a guy but have "met" (online) some gals who have lost significant weight. The common factors I found among them (I haven't read your journals so this may not necessarily apply to you):

a) They were strict. They had no dairy, no almond-flour + coconut milk + 85% chocolate primal brownies, no gorging on fruit because I crave carbs, no sweet potato is kinda-primal, no 80/20%, no beer once or twice a week, no atkins bars or protein shakes because I don't have time to cook, no artificial sweeteners, etc. They stuck to the basics: meats (including fish) and veggies (excluding tubers) with occasional (and controlled) fruit and nuts.

b) They addressed some metabolic deficiencies if they had any. Some had thyroid issues, others simply had a low metabolism from prior low cal dieting. They looked into those and addressed them specifically either by adding iodine sources, upping the cals or training.

c) They were patient. Some saw their weight loss stall with their periods. By tracking weight monthly (i.e. from period to period) they could monitor progress much better than by checking weight every day. Others became obsessed with weight loss and tried IF, low carb, low cal and lots of training all at the same time with bad results. By relaxing a bit and letting things progress they got out of their plateaus. Losing 4-5lbs of body fat a month is a healthy target, never mind that others seem to be losing fat much faster.

d) They had lots of fat and very little carbs. It's hard to know how much fat you aren't getting unless you count. The rule of thumb is: if you are hungry, eat. But eat mostly fat. Most people come short of this goal and they end up somewhere in the 45% protein/45% fat/10% carbs region. Ideally, they would get more fat, a little less protein and as little carbs as possible. Others end up by-passing their bodies' signals by having some sort of rule of, for eg., "not eating after 7pm".

e) They lost weight faster when in ketosis and training. The triad of low intensity activity, lifting heavy things and sprinting was key. Especially the lifting heavy things part. Several women shy away from lifting fearing they may become too muscular. Don't worry, you won't wake up one day and go "sh!t, I trained too hard yesterday and now I'm hyoougggeee!" Guys struggle to gain size even when training, and they have ~ 10x more testosterone than gals. Go do some squats, deadlifts and presses. Iron is your friend. If you don't like barbells, then sandbags or kettlebells are good alternatives.

f) They had fatty breakfasts with no carbs. I'm not entirely convinced about the science behind this, but it seems that breaking fast with mostly fats "primes" the body to go into fat-burning mode instead of relying on glucose for energy.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I lost 75 lbs the CW way in 2 years.
    I lost 50 lbs the PB way in 1 year.

With PB, you still do have to watch your calories. I go through rollercoasters. For a while I'll be strict and watch my calories, then I'd forget about it for a while, then I'd go back to it. I see results when I watch my calories. I also try to keep my carbs low, usually below 50g, always below 75g. That seems to work really good for me. I haven't weighed yet through my 30-Day Challenge but I have seen changes in tummy fat. I've been pretty strict on keeping track of what I'm eating, and am almost always under 1600 calories a day, some days as low as 1100 calories.

IFing really helps too, but don't over-do it. When I IFed too much my weightloss stalled. One long (24-hour) IF and a couple skipped breakfasts is adequate for me it seems.

I'm really excited to see if my actual weight has gone down after 30 days, but I'm not expecting it to since I'm also building muscle now. But I did lose a nice chunk of fat after going Primal, so it can be done. I just think you do have to watch your calories and get in some regular exercise. 30 minutes, 5 days a week, should be enough in my opinion.

shepherd is offline Junior Member
    Not anywhere near my goal yet, but...
    even though my weight numbers haven't shifted much (less than 10lbs of my 70 I need to lose), my body composition seems to have changed markedly. I've lost clothing sizes and I am starting to see some definition in the muscles I've been working. It's not because they weren't there before, it's because the fat is finally getting used.

26, 255lbs on Jan 1, weighed in 249 on Apr 1, was size 20 on Jan 1, now I'm between 16 and 18 depending on brand of clothes. Feel great!

Exercise: I walk when I can, lift twice a week/Crossfit, do Crossfit heavily scaled more days some weeks.

Dietary - I don't count calories, try to stay closer to 50g of carbs on the 50-100g/day. Eat 3 times a day.

bootson is offline Senior Member
    I have lost 17 lbs since the end of Feb on the PB. And I sure haven't done very well with sticking exactly to it, either. So yes, it works for females. I have eaten very little in the way of grains, but definitely have sugar far more often than I should. Since beginning to IF, I've lost a lot more weight.

If I stuck to the plan exactly, I imagine I would be down a good 25-30lbs by now... However I'm a loser so I haven't.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    wait why is coconut milk bad?
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Bootson! You are not a loser! 17 lbs is AWESOME!

Pantera is right, for some reason females seem to have less of an ability to "cheat" and still lose weight. My dh can snarf down chips and dip, pizza ice cream and beer on Saturdays and SILL lose weight eating primal the rest of the week. NO FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Definitely take Pantera's advice and ditch any fake foods, nut butters, desserty primal-ish concoctions etc. and make fruit a once in a while indulgence.

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast