Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare rice that isn't dry page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

How to prepare rice that isn't dry

Primal Fuel
    As far as I understand, rice is legit, sort of at least.
    The problem is, the rice my mom makes (Simple white rice) is always dry. In restaurants and hotels it's always fatty and nice. How can we fix that?

Thanks.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My little rice cooker has two settings: Cook and Warm. I start with a 3:1 ratio of water:rice. Once the cooker auto-switches from Cook to Warm, I add more water (about as much as the original dry amount of rice), and leave it on the warm setting 'til the water evaporates, then unplug the cooker. This makes the rice a bit gooeyer, but not fatty.

For fat, to me, the only thing that tastes better on rice than butter and salt is (maybe) a hunk of salmon.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, or you can cook it on the stove and stir it once in awhile.

They say not to do this because it'll make it gluey, but it sounds like that's
    sorta what you'd like!

Julie

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    It sorta depends on the rice, too.

I searched high and low in my supermarket and found a non-fortified white jasmine rice, and it always turned out nice and moist and sticky.

I always put a pinch of salt in the water and some butter.

It also may help to rinse the rice, and put it in the water before it comes to a boil.

cheffy is offline Member
    Long grain rice is best if you're looking for non-gooey white rice. I like parboiled, but regular will work to. If you don't have a rice cooker just put 1 part rice and two parts water in a pan (covered) in a 350 degree oven until the rice is nice and poofy (time depends on the amount of rice, size of pan, etc). You could also do this with basmati, which I think has an earthier taste which is pretty good.

If your looking for stickier rice, you'll want to try jasmine, or any other short grain rice. Jasmine rice usually takes a 1 part rice/1.5parts water ratio. It does help if you rinse it too.

And yes, cooking it in a pan will make rice gooey-er, if that's even a word lol.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Butter. A teaspoon in the cooking water. And melted on top when you eat it.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Butter. A teaspoon in the cooking water. And melted on top when you eat it.
    Yep.

That's how I do it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    What type of rice are you using? My family uses jasmine and outs always turn out moist and fluffy.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've always used Uncle Ben's rice. Twice the amount of water as rice. Bring the water with a little salt to a boil. Add the rice and reduce the heat until the water just simmers slowly withe the pot covered, for 30 min.

It is always fat, fluffy, and dry.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I use long grain white rice (organic and not enriched). Put two parts water to one part rice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir a little (helps keep the rice from sticking), and turn the heat down to low. Then cover the pan and let it simmer for about 15 min or so (usually 16 is about right for me, but it likely depends on your stove). Once the rice looks done, remove the pan from the stove so that it doesn't keep cooking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast