Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow Cookers page 2

JudyMac is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Well that was confusing you said slow-cooker which is a British expression, I'm used to Americans saying crockpot!

Never had trouble with Rowenta slow cookers, and have only ever needed low/medium/high settings. I have two. One is a small two person pot for our normal meals, and the other is a large oval pot that can take a leg of lamb.

Brilliant devices for meal planning ahead. I used to use mine all the time for evening meals in the week. 10 minutes prepping the night before, put it in the fridge overnight, then set up and turn on to low before leaving the house.

I think that I've cooked most thing in mine; roasts, chilli, curry, porridge and fish.

Oh, Rowenta have seperate ceramic pots for easy cleaning.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I just got this one from Santa to replace my broken one:
    Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

So far I love it. I've cooked chicken soup and Swedish meatballs in it and they turned out really good. Its great to be able to program the temperature or to use it the traditional low/high temp way. The probe is interesting (I'm going to cook a chicken later this week and try it out) and I really like the idea behind it. Also, the clamps to keep the stoneware to the base are AWESOME! No more spills when taking stuff to potlucks.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    My huge 7-quart rival crock cracked through the bottom about a month or so before christmas (man, was I pissed!). I had wanted an electric pressure cooker for quite some time so DH got me an 8.5 quart Deni electric pressure cooker for christmas. I. Love. It.
    I used it for the first time 2 nights ago. I put 2 FROZEN pork roasts in it with seasonings and 12 oz. of water and had awesome, tender, nearly falling off the bone roast in 1 hour.
    It can also slow cook and steam foods. It's a monster though. It's about the same size oval as my big crock was but it's about half again taller than my old crock.
    I may never want to go back to using a regular crock-pot again

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I prefer one that has a full range of temperatures. Mine goes from 150 - 350, I believe. I can cook a meal in an hour, or in a day, or use it just to keep something warm. I guess technically at that point they become a "roaster oven" but they work great as a slow cooker.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    I have a Hamilton beach I love. Simple. No timers,
    But is a 3 in 1. It stores a 2,4 and6 wt inside each other so
    You always have the right size. I prefer the round slow cookers as
    In my experience the oval ones run hot
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Susan Loves Life is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylee99 View Post
    I just got this one from Santa to replace my broken one:
    Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

So far I love it. I've cooked chicken soup and Swedish meatballs in it and they turned out really good. Its great to be able to program the temperature or to use it the traditional low/high temp way. The probe is interesting (I'm going to cook a chicken later this week and try it out) and I really like the idea behind it. Also, the clamps to keep the stoneware to the base are AWESOME! No more spills when taking stuff to potlucks.
    I second this choice--I have one too, and LOVE it!

Thought it was going to be too huge for just me, but turns out it's the perfect size. I cook batches at a time so some can be eaten right away and the rest portioned out for frozen meals.

angekfire is offline Junior Member
    I just have a standard 6q or 7q crockpot. Just has a "high" or "low" or "Keep warm" setting on it, and a timer. Almost everything I've cooked in that thing comes out delicious. I think I paid $20-$40 for it on Black Friday a year ago. Use it at least once a week. Generally turn it on in the morning before I leave for work, and by the time I get home, whatever was in there is tender and delicious and ready to eat. Haven't done broths or soups in it, usually pasta sauces (for spaghetti squash) or roasts.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
    I have a Hamilton beach I love. Simple. No timers,
    But is a 3 in 1. It stores a 2,4 and6 wt inside each other so
    You always have the right size. I prefer the round slow cookers as
    In my experience the oval ones run hot
    I have a Hamilton Beach oval slow cooker. It's settings are Hi, Medium, Lo and Warm. I have heard that the newer slow cookers cook hotter, thus faster, defeating the whole idea of "slow cooking". Is there a way to adjust for the hotter temps? Would it be possible to turn the slow cooker up to Hi until it's fully heated (with food already in the crock, naturally) and then turn it down to Warm. Lo isn't low enough, it still boils too hard and if I left it cooking while I'm at work the food would probably be overcooked or boiled dry.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I used to swear by my little West Bend pot Amazon.com: West Bend 84905 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker: Home & Kitchen, it has a metal crock that sits on a griddle base, so you can put it on the stove to sear meat, a huge time/dish saver. The little griddle was great for pancakes as well. Unfortunately, the quality just isn't there--a year later, the non-stick coating on the pot is flaking off (BAD!) and an accidental drop of the metal pot bent it enough that the lid wouldn't sit on it right anymore. It did it's job when we lived in an RV and had limited space and washing capabilities, but I dragged my huge Hamilton Beach Stay-or-Go slow cooker out of the yard sale pile when we moved back into a house. The clamps on the side and travel bag are very helpful if you take dishes to potlucks.

I hate buying kitchen appliances (I have a rice cooker and bread machine gathering dust, ugh), especially since we plan to go back to RV life in the next few years, but I'm seriously considering the Instant Pot multi-cooker. I like the removable *stainless* liner, thus removing the toxic non-stick crap and giving you the ability to sear meat. Being able to pressure cook is a big bonus too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast