Thread: The Ultimate Supplement Stack ;) page

Ollie is offline Senior Member

The Ultimate Supplement Stack ;)

I'm not one of those to throw a pill at every possible deficiently or to try optimize every micro-nutrient known to man. I think it's a waste of time and money and may even harm you. Things like stress management, maximizing positive emotions, sleeping right, eating right and exercising appropriately will always be the big things focus on. But beyond these critical areas supplements still have their place. Simply put if your doctor has said you have a particular deficiency then go ahead and purchase something specifically for it, but for universal purposes (i.e pretty much everyone) I think I have a stack that covers all the key things that we should be concerned about: HEALTH, MUSCLES, BRAIN. Here is the stack

- omega 3
    - vitamin d3
    - probiotics
    - neurostim
    - tranquility
    - bcaa's
    - creatine

You'd be amazed the amount to thinking and researching it takes to boil all the available supplements down to the bread and butter ones. Mark at least had the first three right (you do not really need a multivitamin) although I think the list is incomplete and there are some other invaluable supplements for pretty much everyone.

For example 'neurostim' is a nootropic formula that essentially enhances cognition function things like better memory / recall, facilitates learning / data retention, focus and endurance. They are not wonder drugs though guys they work about as well as a daily dose of omega 3 which IMO is pretty significant and helpful. Also 'tranquility' is still a nootropic but with the reverse effect which helps you settle down, relax, de-stress, and disconnect. Which is usually perfect after a long days work or anytime you get overly worked up or to help you get a good nights sleep.

Your probably aware of the other supplements listed so I probably don't need to tell you the indisputable benefits of them. But a quick mention on creatine and bcaa's. I think creatine is a great exercise and performance enhancer and its cheap so I don't see why anyone wouldn't add this to their stack. To my knowledge there's nothing else available (thats legal) for achieving those goals. And there is nothing better (thats also legal) for physical performance, growth and recovery than bcaa's not even whey protein according to many studies.

So there you have it guys, a small list compared to what you usually see but IMO a powerful one that covers all the important areas (health, muscle, and brain maintenance, and enhancement) that are all proven to significantly make a difference. And like I said at the beginning there is no need to get carried away and sold by all the hype and purchase everything under the sun AND as I said if you have a particular deficiency you need to get those seen too but if your life is in check deficiencies are very rare.
    Last edited by Ollie; 12-29-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Ah, I also think this is a fantastically beneficial stack for children that covers all their important needs.. Yes, I give it to my own

- liquid omega 3
    - sublingual d3
    - alpha gpc *
    - flavoured bcaa's

* Enhances mental performance to help them study and learn at school, stimulates hGH, and enhances physical performance.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure you've done some research, but I think you could look a little harder and find that 99% of that could be accessed and more bioavailable AND in conjunction with necessary cofactors by getting it through your diet and lifestyle.

The exceptions may be D3 depending on your lattitude and skin tone. Actually thats about the only one I can think of. Probiotics can be accessed in better quantity and quality through home ferments. Bone broth can give you many constituents for joint and bone health. Quality meat, eggs and seafood are more than up to the tasks of what your BCAA's do and come with various vitamins and minerals. Seafood in decent quantity can easily replace your O3 supplements. Ect.... you get the picture. Either way I would look for ways to further reduce your "stack".

Oh, there may be some indication for supplementing something like magnesium....but thats more due to soil depletion not allowing for as much of it to be available via diet.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-29-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Ah well I'm fully aware that O3, D3, Pro's, and Amino's can be derived from lifestyle habits, namely diet. But IMO you've made one of the biggest mistakes in not excepting the nature of reality.

For example I could eat fresh salmon every day for optimal O3 levels but who could sustain that or even want to do that that? On paper yes. In reality no.

Home fermenting is too time consuming for most people and usually not desirable to even bother with. Isn't that just the reality? Aren't Pro's useful to take after a bout of diarrhoea and/or vomiting? How about after a course of antibiotics? Or for people that have gut issues? Or just for their preventative properties? I don't think Home fermenting is solution for all this.

And sure, we can also get decent amounts of amino's from meats, eggs, seafood and I'm not saying we shouldn't but what if your kid struggles to eat sufficient amounts meat (most kids) wont pouring some flavoured BCAAs into their bottled water make up for that and be better off because of it? What about taking BCAAs during endurance training to prevent muscle wasting? What about when you IF'ing but want to hold onto muscle mass? What about pre or post workout, most people wont want to eat a steak straight off the chest press or running machine. Etc. And then there's the Nootropics, yes we could eat egg yolks all day to replenish brain choline levels but thats not gonna happen in reality. I could go on.

I really don't see anything I could eliminate from the stack without doing a particular area of my life a disservice and affecting my performance or well being.
    Last edited by Ollie; 12-29-2012 at 01:42 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Ah well I'm fully aware that O3, D3, Pro's, and Amino's can be derived from lifestyle habits, namely diet. But IMO you've made one of the biggest mistakes in not excepting the nature of reality.

For example I could eat fresh salmon every day for optimal O3 levels but who could sustain that or even want to do that that? On paper yes. In reality no.

Home fermenting is too time consuming for most people and usually not desirable to even bother with. Isn't that just the reality? Aren't Pro's useful to take after a bout of diarrhoea and/or vomiting? How about after a course of antibiotics? Or for people that have gut issues? Or just for their preventative properties? I don't think Home fermenting is solution for all this.

And sure, we can also get decent amounts of amino's from meats, eggs, seafood and I'm not saying we shouldn't but what if your kid struggles to eat sufficient amounts meat (most kids) wont pouring some flavoured BCAAs into their bottled water make up for that and be better off because of it? What about taking BCAAs during endurance training to prevent muscle wasting? What about when you IF'ing but want to hold onto muscle mass? What about pre or post workout, most people wont want to eat a steak straight off the chest press or running machine. Etc. And then there's the Nootropics, yes we could eat egg yolks all day to replenish brain choline levels but thats not gonna happen in reality. I could go on.

I really don't see anything I could eliminate from the stack without doing a particular area of my life a disservice and affecting my performance or well being.
    Really?

I eat canned fish 4-5 times per week and have fresh seafood 1-2 times per week. I make sauerkraut - takes me 20min once per week.

Processed proteins are just unnecessary. Eat real food. All that seafood is a good start
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm not going to argue what is optimal for YOUR lifestyle. I am very busy, but I make the time to do certain things.

I make a batch of 24hr yogurt 1x/week. I make a batch of kraut and lacto-vegetables 1x/month. These are my probiotics.

As to the BCAA's thats up to you. I'm not an elite athlete...just a middle aged weekend warrior in pretty damn good shape and quite a good strength/weight. I do IF (just skip breaky) and work out fasted, but I don't worry about meal timing and tend to believe the short windows to refeed post workout to be BS. My kids LOVE eating meat. They eat 1/2-1lb a day regularly.

Seafood is trickier with my kids, but I find it easy to consume 1-2lbs worth/week with a low O6 diet to keep things optimal.

Supplements are there to ....well supplement a deficient lifestyle or treat a person that can't get things in a quantity necessary to combat some disorder IMO. They could be right for some people depending on circumstance. But, no....your reality is not the same as mine. I actually enjoy growing food in my garden, lacto-fermenting, making bone broth, experimenting in the kitchen, and so on and so forth. To each their own
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-29-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I certainly don't want to argue with you either, but if you are able to run a home, run a family, go to work, have a hobby, and everything in between and still manage to optimise your diet for yourself and your kids without any stress I REALLY commend you. You make me feel rubbish. Although I am still skeptical since I haven't seen one example of this is real life. And that is who this stack is for.