Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal frozen potatoes? page

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member

Primal frozen potatoes?

Shop Now
    I want to incorporate potatoes into my diet but don't want to deal with peeling the skin off fresh potatoes. Is it possible to buy cubed frozen potatoes that are nothing but? My local Pathmark only stocks fried tators in the freezer section. The closest I could find was this in the refrigerated (non-frozen) aisle:

36.jpg

I bought a couple bags and they're pretty decent. Haven't had fresh tators in a while so it's hard to compare. It's got disodium pyrophosphate, sodium bisulfite, and potassium sorbate in the ingredients. Are these chemicals dealbreakers or not a big deal?
    Last edited by dizzyorange; 12-29-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I would just peel the skin. You can also cook them in the skin if you want.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Why would you get rid of the skin? That's where a nice chunk of nutrition is.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

otzi Guest
    I used to eat lots of frozen hashbrowns before PB. Always loved them. I quit eating potatoes for several years but recently fell back in love....

I was looking at the Ore-Ida frozen hashbrowns in the store, they contained these ingredients: POTATOES, DEXTROSE, DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE (TO RETAIN NATURAL COLOR).

I had to give them a pass! Real potatoes are so simple and much better. Maybe these ingredients aren't bad for rare consumption, but I eat lots of potatoes.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I buy both organic and conventionally grown potatoes. I leave the skin on the organic and peel the conventionally grown. It's mostly a matter of convenience. If I need potatoes and the next grocery store I go to has organic, I buy them; if not, I buy conventionally grown.

So, organic would take the hassle out of peeling. But unless you make potatoes in bulk, peeling can go very quickly once you get the hang of it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Why would you get rid of the skin? That's where a nice chunk of nutrition is.
    I just recently learned myself that this is not true.

"Despite the popular notion, the majority of nutrients are not found in the skin, but in the potato itself. Nonetheless, leaving the skin on the potatoes retains all the nutrients, the fiber in the skin and makes potatoes easier to prepare."

Washington State Potato Commission :: Nutrition

Bottom of the page....

Julie

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You don't want to DEAL with peeling the skin??

What is so hard about that? Invest in a good peeler. They're not all the same.

Or, bake them with the skin on. I bake extra at every meal and eat the leftovers the next day. Super easy to peel then.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    I'm with the others - just use fresh potatoes. It's really not that much work when you get used to it. Microwave or bake whole potatoes. Slice and quarter them, toss them with olive oil and spices, then roast them. Boil them. Cube and fry them. Slice and quarter them, then boil for 15 min, then drain and mash, mixed with some butter and cream or milk. There are so many easy ways to make them.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    You can really eat the skin? My mom always taught me it was poisonous. I guess if I don't have to peel I can use fresh potatoes.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    You can really eat the skin? My mom always taught me it was poisonous. I guess if I don't have to peel I can use fresh potatoes.
    Just cut up and roast the red or yellow "new" potatoes...the ones with the thin skins.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast