Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hair falling out by the handful...

Shop Now
    Are you anemic? Since I've been anemic, my hair falls out in clumps in the shower, when combing, and randomly throughout the day. It's very annoying. Hoping to correct the problem soon.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

What's more likely is it's an internal issue as stated. Thyroid, stressers, and hormonal imbalance is the likely culprit.
    Sigh...I agree but it would be so much easier if it was just the shampoo. I have had no major stressors but I do have a small patch of psoriasis. But it has been there forever. Long enough that I forgot to even mention it. and the hair loss is not associated w/ that one area.

And I am almost certain I am not anemic. I really eat a lot of protein. Too much protein.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Well, I wouldn't rule out anemia either. Hypothyroidism can cause anemia, which is actually the most common cause of anemia in women. By definition anemia is just not having enough red blood cells or hemoglobin. Both of which can be low even when iron is high.

Either way, lab results are needed before you can make any accurate assumptions as to what's going on.
    Make America Great Again

REally? I did not know that! I thought I was fairly well versed in hypothyroidism. I will mention that to my dr. Yes..I am waiting another couple of weeks just to make sure that the changed dose has had time to take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Well, I wouldn't rule out anemia either. Hypothyroidism can cause anemia, which is actually the most common cause of anemia in women. By definition anemia is just not having enough red blood cells or hemoglobin. Both of which can be low even when iron is high.

Either way, lab results are needed before you can make any accurate assumptions as to what's going on.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    REally? I did not know that! I thought I was fairly well versed in hypothyroidism. I will mention that to my dr. Yes..I am waiting another couple of weeks just to make sure that the changed dose has had time to take effect.
    Be sure to get ferritin tested. It can be very low before other tests (hematocrit, hemogloblin) show anemia.