Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair falling out by the handful... page 2

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am terrible at remembering the names of the tests. I checked the lab orders they mailed me for follow up and it is the TSH, free T4 and free T3. She called me with the last round of numbers so I don't have them written down. What I understand you saying is that taking the estradiol would have caused my thyroid to be out of whack and stop taking it would help my thyroid return to some level of normal? I am 46. I quit taking the HRT because I am on several medications and am trying to return my body to a more natural way of living. I had the hysterectomy at 40. I would most likely be starting menopause around this time in my life. There is an increased risk of breast cancer with HRT. I have noticed no horrible side effects, some hot flashes but not unmanageable, no changes in mood or well being. Up until now I never considered it being why I would have hair loss.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I am terrible at remembering the names of the tests. I checked the lab orders they mailed me for follow up and it is the TSH, free T4 and free T3. She called me with the last round of numbers so I don't have them written down. What I understand you saying is that taking the estradiol would have caused my thyroid to be out of whack and stop taking it would help my thyroid return to some level of normal? I am 46. I quit taking the HRT because I am on several medications and am trying to return my body to a more natural way of living. I had the hysterectomy at 40. I would most likely be starting menopause around this time in my life. There is an increased risk of breast cancer with HRT. I have noticed no horrible side effects, some hot flashes but not unmanageable, no changes in mood or well being. Up until now I never considered it being why I would have hair loss.
    My first suggestion is for you to call your doctor and ask for a copy of all blood test results that have been done. By law in the USA they must provide you a copy but can charge a "copy fee". I also suggest you always get a copy whenever tests are done.

My second suggestion is for you to research hypothyroid so that you are knowledgeable enough to be able to have a "partnership" with your doctor and be able see "the why" behind med changes and whether you agree with the change. I learned a great deal here and they have a great forum:
    thyroid.about.com

For female hormones, hysterectomy, HRT-- I posted the following in athomeontherange's journal a few days ago:
    "HRT is a personal choice. I am just providing information that helped me.

I don't recall how old you are or if you had a total hysterectomy, but Dr Elizabeth Lee Vliet in her book, Screaming To Be Heard, states:
    "If you've had a hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries, then it is even more crucial that you have adequate hormone replacement. The younger you are when you have the uterus and ovaries removed, the more important it is to be sure you are on the proper replacement hormone amount. In this situation, it truly is replacement therapy because your own ovaries were prematurely removed."

My own experience, having started HRT around age 44, while still having periods with undetectable estradiol levels, is that it helped my muscle/joint pain, severe insomnia, and brain fog. I had developed osteopenia and after HRT my bone density greatly improved and is now stellar.

I've only had a few hot flashes but did, and still do, have night sweats. The night sweat are worse if I eat sugar/grains/crap.

I found Dr. Vleit's book, Women, Weight and Hormones, to be very educational, enlightening and helpful.
    Women, Weight and Hormones: A Weight-Loss Plan for Women Over 35: Elizabeth Lee Vliet: 9780871319326: Amazon.com: Books

She also has a website: Welcome to Dr. Vliet's Home Page"

As to your thyroid issues, I am not saying the estradiol caused your thyroid issues. I can not even begin to speculate on your issues from the information provided. You have not said how long you've been on thyroid replacement or HRT. You have not given specific info in respect to any test result.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    6 months of eating primal => hair grows thicker and healthier
    2 months of eating primal + switching to a new shampoo => hair starts falling out

Conclusion: Most likely a thyroid problem. Either that, or Alopecia areata.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Something else to consider:

Many women notice hair loss after giving birth. (As explain by my doctor) During pregnancy, the hormones in their body cause their hair follicles to hold onto hair that would normally be shed. Once the hormones return to 'normal', the hair follicles that are 'due' to shed at that time AND all the hair follicles that were holding onto their hair strands due to hormones, let go. It is an increase, but only because fewer hairs fell out during pregnancy.

A similar thing can happen during periods of extra-good nutrition (which a shift to primal usually is). Unless it keeps happening, it may just be a normal reaction to a diet change-up. Look for new growth, which would indicate a natural cycle. Of course, it will take a few weeks for the new strands to get long enough for you to notice them poking up.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    The first thing I'd do is change my shampoo back to what I used to use and see if that helps. Certain shampoos make my hair fall out, and give me rosacea flare ups. If it still falls out after a couple of washes, you've got lots of other avenues to try.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    My first suggestion is for you to call your doctor and ask for a copy of all blood test results that have been done. By law in the USA they must provide you a copy but can charge a "copy fee". I also suggest you always get a copy whenever tests are done.

My second suggestion is for you to research hypothyroid so that you are knowledgeable enough to be able to have a "partnership" with your doctor and be able see "the why" behind med changes and whether you agree with the change. I learned a great deal here and they have a great forum:
    thyroid.about.com

For female hormones, hysterectomy, HRT-- I posted the following in athomeontherange's journal a few days ago:
    "HRT is a personal choice. I am just providing information that helped me.

I don't recall how old you are or if you had a total hysterectomy, but Dr Elizabeth Lee Vliet in her book, Screaming To Be Heard, states:
    "If you've had a hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries, then it is even more crucial that you have adequate hormone replacement. The younger you are when you have the uterus and ovaries removed, the more important it is to be sure you are on the proper replacement hormone amount. In this situation, it truly is replacement therapy because your own ovaries were prematurely removed."

My own experience, having started HRT around age 44, while still having periods with undetectable estradiol levels, is that it helped my muscle/joint pain, severe insomnia, and brain fog. I had developed osteopenia and after HRT my bone density greatly improved and is now stellar.

I've only had a few hot flashes but did, and still do, have night sweats. The night sweat are worse if I eat sugar/grains/crap.

I found Dr. Vleit's book, Women, Weight and Hormones, to be very educational, enlightening and helpful.
    Women, Weight and Hormones: A Weight-Loss Plan for Women Over 35: Elizabeth Lee Vliet: 9780871319326: Amazon.com: Books

She also has a website: Welcome to Dr. Vliet's Home Page"

As to your thyroid issues, I am not saying the estradiol caused your thyroid issues. I can not even begin to speculate on your issues from the information provided. You have not said how long you've been on thyroid replacement or HRT. You have not given specific info in respect to any test result.
    Wow I so agree with you. We all need to educate ourselves about hormone replacement instead of accepting for example doctors comment that hormone replacement gives you an increased chance of breast cancer.

In fact there are different types of estrogen in a woman's body and one of them actualy protects against breast cancer. Most doctors are only talking about synthetic hormone replacement such as premarin which is a hormone taken from pregnant mares which is totally foreign to humans.

For your bone density, organ health, sanity, moods and everything to do with your quality of life as you age, and even your vanity, please read about bioidentical hormone replacement and then be prepared for your doctor to not know much about it. Find a doctor that does.

Read the suggested book above or ageless by Suzanne Somers or those by Jonathan wright. I feel so much better and am safeguarding myself against cancer and osteoporosis so I can be sane and sprightly for my kids as I grow older.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Sometimes, I just want to stab myself in the eye with a pencil.
    "... but over the last two months it has started falling out and just looks thin and unhealthy. [...] I changed shampoos about two months ago as well. Any other thoughts?"

hehe....Occam's razor indeed.

To OP please don't go chasing hormones or even blaming a portion of your diet till you deal with the obvious!

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    That damn razor needs to quit slicing my hair out

hehe....Occam's razor indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Sometimes, I just want to stab myself in the eye with a pencil.
    For real! I mean, honestly how many insults can your body deliver??

I am going to try a different shampoo and hope that's it. Have my thyroid levels tested again and make an appt to talk to the Dr about hormone levels in general. And check out all the info on hormones everyone has shared. Thanks so much for all the info!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Have there been any big stressers in the last three months or so? My sister had a badcase of pneumonia. Recovered well, but now her hair is falling out big time. It's very delayed but apparently that is normal. She has exceptionally thick hair, actually put it up for sale just before she got sick. We sold it and after she got better cut it. It was 21 inches sold for $825 if that tells you how thick. She has lost enough hair now, three months later, you can see her scalp on the back. Good thing we got it cut and sold when we did!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    It's very rare that a shampoo would actually cause someone's hair to fall out. It's also quite obvious if it were a shampoo, as it would be accompanied by some sort of allergic reaction. Have you noticed any soreness, intense itching, flaking, greasy scalp, stuff like that, valmason01? If you have maybe you could benefit from a mild anti-fungal shampoo, or dermatitis seborreica, psoriasis, et al. shampoo. Have you gotten your haircut lately? Usually your hair dresser will point these things out as it's technically against policy to even cut your hair if you have an infection like such.

Something like a ketoconazole shampoo(regenepure makes a good sls free one) or I'd recommend something more mild like an sls free t-sal shampoo would help, assuming that's the problem. You'd benefit from taking antihistamines as well, if it were indeed an allergy to a specific shampoo ingredient.

What's more likely is it's an internal issue as stated. Thyroid, stressers, and hormonal imbalance is the likely culprit.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-29-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast