Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primalizing the bedroom... page

SarahW is offline Senior Member

Primalizing the bedroom...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, besides that.

Mark talks about having candles when reading in bed and etc., but beyond that.

I ran across the concept of Lunaception a few months ago (Lunaception by Louise Lacey) and not sure what I think about it. But, it got me thinking about how to mimic a sleeping environment that would have been common to our ancestors: outdoors.

I put a Peace Lily in the bedroom a few weeks ago to improve air quality. Not sure if its doing much else. But its a hardy thing, thank goodness. Here in south Florida the weather is finally getting nice enough to open the windows during the day, so that helps with the air quality too (and my mango tree has been blooming, yum).

But what else?

My husband is a light sleeper, so he usually turns on an upright fan at night for white noise. Not sure if constant wind counts as primal though. But I was sitting in our "birdcage" this afternoon where the previous owner had left three table-top water fountain contraptions. They're nice on the porch, but not sure about their purpose there. But it got me thinking, would there be any benefit to having one of those waterfall things in the bedroom? The sound of gently running water is more soothing, I think, than the fan. And I remember reading something about waterfalls and ions once. Tried searching the internet about it, but found very little, and all that seemed like a bunch of woo.

So, the moon, air, wind, fire, and water. Add crickets if you want (beyond a screen, please). How much effect do these things have on sleep and optimal health?

This is a total brain rumination because I'm bored, so feel free to ruminate with me.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    the crickets sporadic to constant chirping would be disturbing i think. they're loud when they're in the same room or nearby

i use an air purifier for white noise. i'm not a light sleeper but little sounds can wake me up when i start to doze off. you could try the fountains with the fan on low, see how you both like it?

candlelight to read by would be a big eye strain
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I dont know about the PB bedroom, but I get on a feng shui kick now and then. Seems like water in the bedroom is not a good thing, but I could be mistaken. And I am not sure why either. It has been awhile since I read any of that.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

fresa is offline Member
    Oh I love the idea of running water as white noise! I used to use a white noise type machine when I lived in the "city" for school, but being back home in the middle of nowhere it seems way too loud. Of course there are no crickets around here right now, as we have a couple feet of snow on the ground, but they might be tolerable depending on the person. The idea reminds me of sleeping with the windows open when the spring peepers are out. There is no other noise more primal feeling to fall asleep to, they are so soothing (IMO).

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I sleep great when I hear crickets. Better than usual, I think.

My gynecologist told me 15 years ago that if I had any trouble with my cycles, I should be sure to sleep in total darkness. This isn't voodoo.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    lunaception is really awesome. I started sleeping in complete darkness about 10 eyars ago, and it definitely changes your sleep. this last year or so, we haven't had black-out curtains (it's on the list!), so it hasn't been the same. I'm much more 'fussy' at night (not sleeping as deeply).

We do candlelight after dark, and we live near the water/harbor, so we hear the sound of the water all the time and it's lovely.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    We have a pond in the backyard, an acre or two, and OMGosh, the frogs!!! I could probably sleep to it, but it drives DH insane. Can't hear them at all though with the door shut (to the deck)

I have to have the ceiling fan on at night. DH isnt crazy about this either, but I get hot and cold all night long. It also helps block out little noises it seems, or maybe it just helps me sleep better and therefore I don't hear the other things. Like teenagers raiding the kitchen at midnight.

I do have a fountain in my foyer, that I love, but sometimes it is too much and I have to unplug it. It carries upstairs and they don't like it as much as I do.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Ventilation is important

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post

My gynecologist told me 15 years ago that if I had any trouble with my cycles, I should be sure to sleep in total darkness. This isn't voodoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird
    lunaception is really awesome. I started sleeping in complete darkness about 10 eyars ago, and it definitely changes your sleep. this last year or so, we haven't had black-out curtains (it's on the list!), so it hasn't been the same. I'm much more 'fussy' at night (not sleeping as deeply).
    I don't understand lunaception very well, but aren't you supposed to plug in a night light during full moon? I can barely remember what day of the week it is, so keeping track of the moon too makes me twitch.

My husband wants to get blackout curtains, but he still wants to sleep with a bit of light on. He tends to be bi-phasic (I, most emphatically, am not). I'm pretty sure he would think lunaception is a bunch of woo.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I just open the blinds a little during the three days surrounding the full moon.. It's not too hard to keep track of, and I really rather enjoy knowing more about what the world outside of my buildings & cars is doing now.

We have plantation shutter/blinds, so it's very dark in our room with them closed. Around the full moon, I leave all of the blinds partly or fully open, and my door, too, so moon coming in through the foyer gets in.

But even if you just do dark all the time, you'll be accomplishing a LOT. Seriously. After all, the moon is bright enough to make a difference only three days each month, and only high enough a few hours of each ofthose nights, *if* it's not cloudy and *if* it's even high at night (as opposed to during the day) that night. You're much better off making it dark all the time than giving up b/c of complexity and staying partly lit all the time.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast